Should We Switch To Green Bag Or Wait It Out?

Guest MrsKuchta

Guest MrsKuchta

So Roobie has been with us for 4 days now and is still having pudding-like poop. It has changed in color from mustardy yellow to brown now, but consistency hasn't changed. The adoption group gave us some pills for diarrhea but I am almost out. She is being fed 3.5 cups of Purina One chicken and rice in the morning, which she inhales and doesn't really chew at all...causing her to choke a bit on it when she starts out eating. She has also been on a liquid de-wormer for three days (just finished this morning.)

I know she is stressed, and she messed her crate yesterday because she's having diarrhea and I was gone. Should we continue the food she is on and wait for the poop to firm up once she calms down and is less stressed, or should I just switch to green bag now to speed that up? We just bought a small bag of food, so I'm not opposed to changing it if it will help her. I am just concerned because I read that it makes it go through their digestive tract slower and since we work we try to get her to poop before we leave so we can avoid another accident...I'm worried it will take longer and we will need to leave for work before she can process the food and go out and poop (if this makes any sense...)

Also, would you recommend the smaller kibble since she is inhaling and choking on the bigger kibble she's eating now? Thanks!

Guest Doggone

I also wound up switching over to IAMS green bag for Autumn. She had been on some premium brand (can't remember which), and also was still on dewormer (hookworms) when she came to me. Even after the deworming was over, she stayed in pudding mode, although she never had diarrhea or accidents (I'm home most of the time, and she didn't get crated).

I first tried some of the additives recommended on this forum : sweet potato, pumpkin, etc., but she wouldn't go near any of them. I switched to IAMS and luckily, it seems to be better for her system. I've also found that rawhide/bully sticks put her back into pudding-poo, so as much as she loves them, she doesn't get them anymore.

I know each hound is different, but for her, IAMS and plain treats (Kirkland dog "bones", etc.) are best. :)

Good luck!

I'm by no means an expert, but could the dewormer have been contributing to the diarrhea? Certainly four days is not long, so as you noted anxiety is also probably a factor as well. I'd be more inclined to give it another couple of days to see if things firm up now that she's finished the dewormer. Switching foods probably won't hurt, but I think there are other variables you might rule out first.

Another couple of thoughts: are you feeding her 2x a day? 3.5 cups in the morning seems like a lot at one time to me. For comparison, my girl (61 lbs) gets about 2.5 cups a day, split between morning and evening. (She eats Blue Buffalo, which is higher protein and thus she doesn't need a lot.) If she's being fed once a day, I'd try splitting her food up into two meals. Adding a bit of warm water (not so much that it's soupy, but more of a thick, gravy-like consistency) helped Sweep with choking/bolting food.

Edited by ramonaghan

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest sireltonsmom

If she doesn't firm up soon, you may want to consider Tylan powder. It is a big help for the big D. You can get it at Pet Stores I think. The drawback is it tastes awful even tho you only give like 1/8 tsp. so it's good to hide it in something yummy. It has no side effects. Roobie has had a life changing event so tummy distress may be part of that. I'm sure you are being gentle and supportive of her accidents so she'll get it that it wasn't 'her fault'. I find with our new boy Beau (August), his poops are often soft and yellowish. Especially if he goes twice on the walk. I suspect it might change if I changed his food but I haven't rushed to do that yet. Welcome to Roobie and I'm sure all will be well in time. Enjoy!

:ghplaybow :gh_runner

I would not worry about it until you are through with your second dose of your De-Wormer.

We had a similar issue and while the dewormer was doing it's work, Sidney's poop slowly got better but it did take some time.

We were told to water our food and let it sit for 3-4 minutes to help with the choking. Our 2 Greys don't take time to chew their breakfast and dinner, but will properly chew a treat. Go Figure.

This water is a precaution to help avoid bloat as it softens the food before they just swallow it.

Another couple of thoughts: are you feeding her 2x a day? 3.5 cups in the morning seems like a lot at one time to me. For comparison, my girl (61 lbs) gets about 2.5 cups a day, split between morning and evening. (She eats Blue Buffalo, which is higher protein and thus she doesn't need a lot.) If she's being fed once a day, I'd try splitting her food up into two meals. Adding a bit of warm water (not so much that it's soupy, but more of a thick, gravy-like consistency) helped Sweep with choking/bolting food.

Also my first thought. If I feed Sammi more than 2 cups at a feeding, she will have the big D

Sammi is also a Hoover that forgets to chew. If her kibble is dry, she would inhale, then choke or throw it up. We also use the warm water method and it has helped her immensely.

Guest MrsKuchta

Our adoption group fed once a day and just recommended for the first week keeping that schedule and then slowly transitioning to twice a day. Haven't gotten there yet, but we will. :-)

I would not worry about it until you are through with your second dose of your De-Wormer. We had a similar issue and while the dewormer was doing it's work, Sidney's poop slowly got better but it did take some time.

We were told to water our food and let it sit for 3-4 minutes to help with the choking. Our 2 Greys don't take time to chew their breakfast and dinner, but will properly chew a treat. Go Figure.

This water is a precaution to help avoid bloat as it softens the food before they just swallow it.

I've been adding some water to see if that helps but when she gets to the bottom soggy part she won't eat it! Hopefully now that the dewormer is done she will regulate better...I've been experiencing my first greyhound farts today...they're pretty awful.

Wow

2.5 cups a day. Is that enough?

We feed June 4 cups 2 in morning and 2 at night She is 70lbs

and

Sidney 5 cups 2.5 in the morning 2.5 at night. He is 74lbs

Sidney was too skinny adn lethargic when we got him and is now a crazy happy madman.

June is her normal self

Both are healthy, and still extremely lean.

Our Rescue was feeding them both 4 cups a day when we received them.

You could always buy a small green bag and mix some in. It may help for the short term. When the wormer is done, stop feeding the green bag to see how she will do on her regular food.

Last year when I tried Canidae again, 2 of the 3 dogs had very soft to runny stools. I started mixing in the green bag and it didn't take much to get things to firm up.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Wow

2.5 cups a day. Is that enough?

Yep, for Sweep it is! It really varies quite a bit depending on quality of food, individual dog's metabolism, level of exercise, etc. We might bump it up a bit soon because she gets more exercise this time of year (she is a lazy slug during the humid southern summer), but generally, yes, she's at a good weight at 2.5c of high-quality food plus treats.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Well, you know one thing -- adding some Iams green bag now is surely not going to make her poops worse! So it's kind of a win-win situation.

I, too, would feed in 2 meals and add just a bit of warm water. Wet it right when you're giving it and it shouldn't be soggy when she gets to the bottom. Don't add a whackload of water, the kibble doesn't need to be floating -- I add somewhere between 1/4 and a 1/2 cup of water, never more than a 1/2 cup. If I notice I've put too much, I immediately tip it out of the bowl.

My 70 lb. girl gets 1-1/4 cups of Iams green bag with water for breakfast, the occasional dehydrated treat or two or three during the day and a 13oz. can of moist dog food for dinner, with her Fresh Factors tablet and some Grizzly Salmon Oil on it.

Comparing cup-to-cup of different brands of dog food doesn't work, as they have different compositions and different calorie counts.

Good luck with your new girl and congratulations!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I love green bag. Can't say enough good things about it! My dogs get the large breed formula from Sam's, and the kibble pieces are much larger. I know that doesn't work for every dog, but I prefer it. My two actually crunch and chew the larger chunks instead of just inhaling them.

My guys choked on the smaller kibble; larger works best for us. In fact we feed the Iams Large Breed. From BJ's it is about $42 for 50 lbs. My guys eat twice a day; two cups each time. I also add some canned Iams or Fresh Pet Select mixed with their kibble as well as two tablespoons of pumpkin and then their supplements.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Clawsandpaws

I think the stress/dewormer is probably what is causing the D. That being said, when my dog already had the pudding poops, I just did a cold turkey switch to IAMs. I figure the intestines are already in a tizzy and a slow transition wouldn't matter. He firmed up almost immediately (however he had been in our home for a while and did not have worms or anything)

My 72 lb grey eats 3 cups a day, 1.5 in the am and 1.5 at night. I actually think the dogs prefer it if you do 2 meals immediately off the track, in the adoption kennel we feed once a day (typical race diet minus any supplements) and when we do night turn out we give them a few big ol cookies to hold them over.

Guest MrsKuchta

After two very, very runny poops yesterday on our walk (how the heck do you clean that up?!) I decided that it wasn't the dewormer anymore and was probably the food. I went out and got the green bag and gave her two cups for dinner. And mixed it with her old food this morning, half and half. What a miracle! She had solid poop for the first time in 6 days! I am now a green bag believer.

I also have 4 cans of pumpkin purée I got in case the green bag didn't work...guess I'll be making pumpkin pie...

After two very, very runny poops yesterday on our walk (how the heck do you clean that up?!) I decided that it wasn't the dewormer anymore and was probably the food. I went out and got the green bag and gave her two cups for dinner. And mixed it with her old food this morning, half and half. What a miracle! She had solid poop for the first time in 6 days! I am now a green bag believer.

I also have 4 cans of pumpkin purée I got in case the green bag didn't work...guess I'll be making pumpkin pie...

Splitting the meals also might have helped as well. But we are also green bag converts as well. :)

As to the runny poop on a walk clean up? OH OOH!! I can answer that thanks to someone years ago on GreyTalk when I first adopted Sammi :)

Take newspaper or magazine pages with you on a walk (A paper plate would even work). Soon as they start to squat, stick the paper on the ground under them. Mess is on paper. Just grab the 4 corners of the paper, pick up, and deposit into the poop baggie mess free!

Great for getting a clean sample for the vet as well :)

Success with the green bag, that is good to hear! Good for you!

We feed the green bag small bites here to seniors and young'uns. Morning add-ins include sweet potato and something green (beans, zucchini) or carrots for the young'uns, and turkey/scrambled egg for Seamie; at night the add-in is a home-cooked stew for everyone. Their poops have never been better. Foster Sweet gets a different type of kibble and I can tell you ... there is no difference between large and small kibble pieces ... the speed of inhalation is the same :lol

Good luck, I hope the green bag continues to do well for your pup.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have made these many times. I use 1/2 a can of pumpkin and three heaping people silverware tablespoons of peanut butter. I roll mine to 1/4 inch and they bake faster. The reviewer that said to look at like a pie crust before cutting the shapes was dead on.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-and-Pumpkin-Dog-Treats/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=pumkin%20peanut%20butter%20dog%20treats&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=%2fmy%2frecipebox%2fdefault.aspx

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg