Bath Time

Guest Sh3rryann

Guest Sh3rryann

My dog Lucy really stinks and has very itchy skin. She hates taking baths and ripped my brand new shower curtain! What is the best shampoo for greyhounds? Also how do I de-stress her when she is in the tub? Do you think she'd feel better if I got in the bath with her?

Edited by Sh3rryann

Do you have a dog wash in your area? If you do check it out. I will never wash my dog in the tub again. The ones here have a ramp for the dog to walk up to the washing tub. Bring someone with you so she doesn't try to jump out. I like an oatmeal based shampoo and mix it (50/50) with warm water using a squeeze bottle to apply. Be sure she is rinsed very very well. Itchy skin can be from not getting all the shampoo out. Between baths I use a microfiber cloth moistened with warm water and just wipe the pup down starting at the face doing feet and private areas last. I generally follow that up with a small amount of spray on conditioner. If you use the conditioner be sure to apply outside where it won't make your floors slippery. Too many baths can also cause dry itchy skin.

I am a big fan of Earthbath products, especially the Aloe & Oatmeal shampoo (good for dry skin and smells nice--not cloying like some others), waterless grooming foam (for between baths), and grooming wipes. They also make a conditioner, which does a good job remoisturizing and preventing post-bath itchies. They offer hypoallergenic/fragrance-free versions of their products too, if that's a concern for you. I usually order from Amazon but have found their products at TJ Maxx too.

Edited by ramonaghan

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest Sh3rryann

Do you have a dog wash in your area? If you do check it out. I will never wash my dog in the tub again. The ones here have a ramp for the dog to walk up to the washing tub. Bring someone with you so she doesn't try to jump out. I like an oatmeal based shampoo and mix it (50/50) with warm water using a squeeze bottle to apply. Be sure she is rinsed very very well. Itchy skin can be from not getting all the shampoo out. Between baths I use a microfiber cloth moistened with warm water and just wipe the pup down starting at the face doing feet and private areas last. I generally follow that up with a small amount of spray on conditioner. If you use the conditioner be sure to apply outside where it won't make your floors slippery. Too many baths can also cause dry itchy skin.

There isn't , but thank you!!!!

I am a big fan of Earthbath products, especially the Aloe & Oatmeal shampoo (good for dry skin and smells nice--not cloying like some others), waterless grooming foam (for between baths), and grooming wipes. They also make a conditioner, which does a good job remoisturizing and preventing post-bath itchies. They offer hypoallergenic/fragrance-free versions of their products too, if that's a concern for you. I usually order from Amazon but have found their products at TJ Maxx too.

Thank you I will keep an eye out for those products!

Oh, and re: the stress, lavender is known to be calming, so another option would be a lavender-scented shampoo like this. (I think Cloud Star is the brand our local dog wash uses.) We have a walk-in shower, thank goodness--I can imagine the tub is not much fun for either of you! ;)

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

I have put Bella in the bath numerous times with lots of loves and treats but no bath - that has helped. Also agree with someone else helping to hold and sooth.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest Sh3rryann

Oh, and re: the stress, lavender is known to be calming, so another option would be a lavender-scented shampoo like this. (I think Cloud Star is the brand our local dog wash uses.) We have a walk-in shower, thank goodness--I can imagine the tub is not much fun for either of you! ;)

Thank you next time I go to Petco I will see if I can find it.

Do you have a non-slip mat in your tub? If not, that could contribute to her nervousness. Mine don't like baths either, but fortunately I have a walk in shower too. Our doberman used to love baths. All we had to do was call "Bathies" and she would run upstairs, hop into the tub and stay there till we were finished. So funny.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest Sh3rryann

Do you have a non-slip mat in your tub? If not, that could contribute to her nervousness. Mine don't like baths either, but fortunately I have a walk in shower too. Our doberman used to love baths. All we had to do was call "Bathies" and she would run upstairs, hop into the tub and stay there till we were finished. So funny.

I own both a tub and walk in shower , but the tub is for family so I wouldn't mind getting it dirty. I do not have non-slip mat , but it is probably a good thing to consider. I guess I could try my walk in shower with her. Thank you!

if you do send your pup to a groomer remember NO DRYER! just towel dry the pup and that's it. it will dry out their skin and some dogs do not tolerate the heat very well.

if you brave it at home, oatmeal shampoo, rinse really really well- use a sponge and warm water- not hot!. i use a rubber mat and a towel in the tub. if it's too warm greyhounds melt, they just collapse. it's the only breed that i have ever bathed who melts down. have a friend hold the dog's collar and feed super high quality treats- cheddar cheese, roast beef, fresh cooked chicken. avoid the ears, rinse, rinse, rinse.

it seems as if the dander pops up on greys after a bath- it's their thin, thin skin. also take advantage of their soft toe nails and trim away. it take me 4-6 minutes to bath my greys- it used to take a full 15+ to wash my terriers.

A walk-in shower will probably make a world of difference for your pup. I would still put a mat down too. Also, be sure and have the water at a mild temperature. Too hot and they tend to sort of collapse.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest Sh3rryann

A walk-in shower will probably make a world of difference for your pup. I would still put a mat down too. Also, be sure and have the water at a mild temperature. Too hot and they tend to sort of collapse.

I have experienced the greyhound faint with my second one , Ace

Guest DogNewbie

When we give Wiley a bath, my BF lifts him into the tub and stands in the tub and holds him the whole time. Then I rise him with an ice cream bucket of water. This system seems to work really well. Wiley is really good about it. He just stands there looking sad...LOL. Anyways, we get the job done and it is cheaper too! We use the Top Paw oatmeal shampoo & conditioner from Pet Smart. it seems to work well and it smells nice. Then we towel dry him after. Just a tip that we learned the hard way is they can get an ear infection from water in their ears. The vet gave us some drops to put in his ears after a bath so he doesn't get an infection.

Dawn dishwashing detergent. Seriously. It works better than any dog shampoo I've ever tried. We use the plain purple stuff. The suggestion actually came from someone on GreyTalk who worked in a racing kennel where they used it to bathe their dogs. You wet the dog, squirt a line of Dawn from base of skull to base of tail and that's enough for the entire bath. Work it into the coat and rinse thoroughly. Done. It gets the dog thoroughly clean without stripping the coat and causing dandruff, gets white parts really white and leaves the dog shiny and soft with no fleas (if fleas are a problem in your area).

Prior to that we used Buddy Wash, which is good stuff. But I swear, Dawn works better (even with Buddy Wash we saw flakes after baths). And it's super cheap. Bonus: it's gentle enough that you can get away with washing kittens in it, which is really handy if you find a kitten that's been residing in a parking lot and is coated with motor oil. :lol

P.S. Hand-held showerheads make dog bathing sooooo much easier.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

My dog Lucy really stinks and has very itchy skin

How often do you bathe her? Overbathing with strip all of the oils in her fur, and make it more susceptible to becoming flaky and stinky. Greyhounds are normally quite odourless, if she is smelling (assuming you mean she hasn't rolled in something) I would be looking into possible allergies or other skin problems (yeast, etc).

Edited by RedHead

I would second the idea of having the vet take a look. It's not normal for a Greyhound to smell bad on a regular basis.

I would NEVER use dish soap on my dog. Dawn IS used on animals that are being rescued from oil spills, but not as a normal bathing agent. It absolutely WILL strip the oil from the coat and if her itchiness is due to dryness, make it worse.

I use either oatmeal dog shampoo, or coal tar shampoo.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have used Buddy Wash for Rudy, but I've only bathed him once in the 9 months he's been here. He did not smell or stink but he was in the middle of shedding and I thought it might help loosen up his coat and clean and brush away the dead stuff. It does not seem like a normal thing for a greyhound to be stinky.

Definitely use a big rubber non-slip mat. I use one of those for her in my tub and also use a hand-held shower with a somewhat longer than normal hose (that was accidental, it simply came that way and I am thankful -- I can easily reach her butt as she's facing the faucet). I use shampoo and conditioner from Sadie & Mitz. I also bathe more frequently than most people -- I like to bathe once a month in the summer, less often in the winter. But she does not have dry skin or any reaction so I'm okay.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

If you don't have a non-slip mat - a bath towel in the tub works fine. Also - I love a hose sprayer. My shower head has a long hose on it and it works great - or you can buy an attachment that hooks on your tub faucet (not a fixture, just an add-on). That way you can spray at close range instead of dumping water on them. Most importantly - HELP! Get someone to help you. Leave a collar and leash on if you need to and have someone hold it, but be very close. My DH just stands in front of a dog and pets/holds the neck while I wash away. Be quick, and plan on getting wet. I usually end up with one leg in the tub for balance, and I spray myself often. As far as shampoo, I use any good-quality oatmeal dog shampoo. I only bathe greys every 6 months or so. Usually when their fur starts to feel dog-ish - meaning oily. I've never had one actually smell dog-ish.

Guest DogNewbie

As sobesmom said, help is essential! The BF stands in the tub while I rinse/shampoo Wiley. I wish we had a shower hose! I will have to convince my better half that we need one if the offer/home inspection goes through on the house! I have never tried a bath mat. That is a very good idea!

Guest Clawsandpaws

I throw a towel in the tub. You should soak it first so that it doesn't float around at first! Lol. I don't have a handy dandy shower thing, so I use a BIG mug, like the ones those obnoxious guys bring to the gym to drink their protein shakes.

I have one of these for bath times. I can't imagine bathing the dogs without it in the tub/shower!

3103.jpg

Can I just say that I've never seen anyone so happy about washing the shower?

Mine all detest the Chamber of Torture. Either we get in the walk in shower with them or we go to the nearest pet store where they have a specially designed bath. My much easier! Help is a good thing as well.

Can I just say that I've never seen anyone so happy about washing the shower?

:rotfl Too true! This thingy detaches and is easy to take on and off. It actually is handy for cleaning the shower too :lol