Feeding From The Ground Ba Elevated Dishes

Guest Samm88

How many of you guys feed from the ground? I know it's better for them and less strain to eat elevated but right now my boys having trouble eating out of his stainless steal bowls that are elevated.

I feed elevated. Purely for the comfort factor -- she looks like a giraffe at a river when she tries to eat from the floor. You didn't say what issue your boy is having which is causing him difficulty. Our regular raised feeder isn't adjustable but our travel one is, so in this situation I would bring it out and try a lower setting. Perhaps if you try something in between? Does he have a medical problem or do you perhaps have it too high for him?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

We either feed elevated for ground up meals or loose in the backyard for whole hunks. Usually with the whole hunks both dogs will opt to eat while laying down for comfort. While traveling we usually feed out of bowls on the floor.

------

Jessica

At home I feed in elevated stainless steel bowls. When we travel, both of mine will eat from bowls placed on the floor with no problem. I guess I use raised feeders at home because I 'think' they look more comfortable, but I have a feeling either way would be fine with these two. When I first brought home my shy girl, she would eat laying down on her bed with the bowl in front of her. I don't think it matters how they eat, as long as they are comfortable doing so.

I think a lot of hounds could do either/or, but I feed Rudy from a raised dish. He tends to hoover food in pretty hurriedly and I have noticed that he seems to hack/cough more if he eats from a bowl on the floor versus raised. He just personally seems to prefer it too, as I have a raised water dish for him and a regular water dish on the floor for my mixed breed girls, and he always chooses to drink from the raised dish.

Currently the girls eat in their crates, from bowls on the floor. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them. Might be a problem on a slippery floor -- wouldn't feed on the floor in that case.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Initially, I had Payton's bowl elevated. However, I read "Greyhounds for Dummies" which indicated that elevating the food bowl can actually increase the chances of bloat, so I put it on the floor. He doesn't not seem to care either way.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Ozzie is so tall that if I put his bowl on the floor, he would have to lay down to eat it comfortably.

If I don't put water on his food he will hoover it up and then shoot it right back out...so everyone here gets some water on their kibble.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Initially, I had Payton's bowl elevated. However, I read "Greyhounds for Dummies" which indicated that elevating the food bowl can actually increase the chances of bloat, so I put it on the floor. He doesn't not seem to care either way.

I have read a lot of back and forth about raised versus not raised in regard to bloat risk, but my overall impression is there is not really any solid data on either side of the argument that either way impacts the chances of it.

I have read a lot of back and forth about raised versus not raised in regard to bloat risk, but my overall impression is there is not really any solid data on either side of the argument that either way impacts the chances of it.

That is my thoughts as well, but since he does not care, I just put it on the ground. I had a dog die of bloat when I was a teenager. It was horrible.

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

That is my thoughts as well, but since he does not care, I just put it on the ground. I had a dog die of bloat when I was a teenager. It was horrible.

It's a scary thing. I'm rather glad Rudy had a gastropexy previously so his chances of torsion are reduced.

Guest DogNewbie

I have Wiley's feed dishes raised. He seems more comfortable. He can eat from the ground but when he does, his legs shake and he looks really awkward and uncomfortable. If he starts eating to fast I put a 8" piece of chain in his dish to help slow him down.

Guest WhiteWave

Casper and Ronon eat in the elevated stand. Joey eats off the ground. He is young and has no issues. Casper can not stand and eat from the ground so he would have to lay down to eat. The raised stand makes it easier on him. Ronon too- he has spinal issues and his chiropractor said it would be better for him to eat from the raised stand. They eat side by side. Water is in a big bowl that I try to keep full so they don't have to bend over much to get water.

There's a Neater Feeder is the current GFNC auction. This is what we use in our home.

http://www.2houndsdesign.com/old/cgi-bin/2hounds.pl?category=GBA

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The floor until they get older I reckon. I have my old boy's bowls raised slightly now so he doesn't have to bend down so far to eat, he isnt a greyhound but he's still pretty tall.