Bad Breath

Payton has had the worst breath ever since we got him. He had a dental cleaning in July when he was neutered. I thought maybe he just had bad breath but I am brushing his teeth and there is a lot of tarter on them. I can't imagine that they were cleaned very well. It wasn't my vet-it was a the adoption group's vet.

I can't see putting him under anesthesia again so soon. He has a check up in January so I will discuss it with his vet then.

In the meantime, I just ordered CET toothpaste to try. He refuses any water additive.

Is there anything else I can do?

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

You need to get him something to chew on - raw meaty bones, a large rawhide, any number of commercial chew toys, fleece ropes. We use Purina Busy Bones here, one a day after dinner.

That being said, if you have a greyhound with the notorious "greyhound mouth" nothing will really work for long. The five I have now are wonderful, but our Angel Copper could have had a full dental every six months. He got exactly the same food, same treats, same chew bones, same brushing, same everything as the others. He just collected tartar like a miser collects money! It was always a struggle to keep his teeth clean and his breath fresh. He lost at least one tooth at every dental, and we had put him on pulsed antibiotics the last year or so of his life, just to keep the bacteria from causing further systemic problems.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

How much tartar is "a lot"? I have plenty of patients that have had their teeth cleaned and less than a year later I'm seeing enough tartar on them that they pretty much need to be done again. Typically small dogs. I could see greys being bad for that though. If a dog is prone and there's no preventative measures put into place following the cleaning then some absolutely will develop a fair amount of tartar in a short period of time.

Brushing DAILY is the best thing you can do for teeth.

Healthy Mouth is a water additive that I haven't yet had a patient refuse to drink (there's a first time for everything though). It's supposed to be essentially tasteless. It does turn the water an apple green colour though so they recommend adding it in slowly over a week or two so the dog adjusts to the change in colour. It's also the only water additive that actually has clinical trials (ironically done on blood donor greyhounds!) to prove that it works.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

You need to get him something to chew on - raw meaty bones, a large rawhide, any number of commercial chew toys, fleece ropes. We use Purina Busy Bones here, one a day after dinner.

He has several chew toys and the ropes. I will pick up some busy bones. Thanks!

Coconut oil is very good for cleaning teeth and he might like the taste enough to let you brush his teeth. I've got to start doing something about Nadir's teeth too. His breath is absolutely atrocious.

Coconut oil is the only thing he will let me brush his teeth with so far. He loves it!

How much tartar is "a lot"? I have plenty of patients that have had their teeth cleaned and less than a year later I'm seeing enough tartar on them that they pretty much need to be done again.

His teeth are yellow and he has brown tartar in the crevices of his molars. Tartar is starting to build up on the outside of his back teeth. Considering it has only been 3 months since his cleaning, it seems like too much tartar already. Of course, I have absolutely no experience with a bad greyhound mouth.

I do brush his teeth everyday but it took a while to work up to the toothbrush. Now that he is getting better, I am going to brush twice a day to see if it will help. And I will definitely try the healthy mouth. Thanks!

He is only 3 years old so I would really like to get his mouth in better condition.

Thanks again everyone!

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

Just wondering if anyone had tried the dental vaccine I'm considering it for Fenway who, despite regular brushing, has horrible breath.

I'll check out Krissy's reco for the water additive too.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Just wondering if anyone had tried the dental vaccine I'm considering it for Fenway who, despite regular brushing, has horrible breath.

I'll check out Krissy's reco for the water additive too.

NO vaccine-way too many adverse reactions-actually, I'm not sure it's still even being produced.

I took my one grey to a holistic vet for a different reason, but she said anything in the mouth starts in the stomach. I had a foster that had terrible breath and her teeth were perfect. I gave her a Pepcid every morning and her bad breath went away. Don't know if this would help, but just a thought.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Krissy, is that water additive safe for cats, too? Mine share a common water bowl.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Krissy, is that water additive safe for cats, too? Mine share a common water bowl.

This was from their website:

Households With Dogs and Cats Sharing Bowls: No Worry. You can use either product for all pets as the clinically proven part of each formula is the same. Dog formula tastes like regular water, cat formula has a natural fish flavoring that most dogs like as well.

Thanks, Judy! I looked, but I guess I didn't look hard enough. Heaven knows the cats could use some help, too.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Your welcome :). I was reading about the product last night when Krissy posted about it. I'm seriously considering getting some to try. What I'm wondering about is if the teeth are bad and a dental is not advised for other reasons would it be better to start out with the gel. I'd like to see how it works prior to putting money in both the gel and water additive.

I haven't tried the gel for my patients or my own pets yet. We recommend the water additive because it's easy for multiple pets. Which means better compliance. And for my own dogs I already brush their teeth and have no oral concerns at this time so I just use the water additive so I don't have a panic attack the one or two days a month that their teeth don't get brushed for some reason.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!