Dog Fight Today

I have a foster boy Fred who's adorable. He's settling in nicely and has decided he's VERY handsome (we spend a lot of time looking at ourself in the mirror :hehe ). He HATES the crate and it beginning to get the hang of retirement and he LOVES his toys. I decided to try rawhides which was a mistake. Him and Mason (I know, shocking it wasn't Molly) got into over a rawhide. There was growling and Mason has a little cut on his nose. It was over before it began and I immediately took away the rawhides.

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :)

High value treats should be served in gated/closed areas away from each other when there's a new or unknown hound in the mix. You dodged a major bullet this time with only a minor injury to Mason. The rawhide is probably super high value to the foster who may have never had one before.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I always do rawhides with everyone in a separate room or in a crate, I use baby gates to keep them confined to a room, I don't close the door. Rawhide is a high value treat, I have had a fight before over them, since then, it's everyone in their own corner so to speak.

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Well I didn't dodge that bullet this week . My foster thought that dropped sock from the laundry was HIS. After $500.00 and counting most of an ear will be saved on my senior boy. Leather treats have not been here for years, when they get( soggy and GOOD)they can lodge in the throat and be a real scare.

Guest OPointyDog

Not unusual behavior - even our easy going, docile female gets protective of high-value treats. She bit the neighbor dog over a rawhide that he had, but fortunately the owners were really understanding. We keep them separated for rawhides and kongs, and they are fed in separate rooms. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Its weird, when in their crates with kongs, our 2 growl at each other.

Outside their crates, they have no issues with the kongs.

June always ends up taking Sidney's just to be safe he finished all of the PB

:D

I always do rawhides with everyone in a separate room or in a crate, I use baby gates to keep them confined to a room, I don't close the door. Rawhide is a high value treat, I have had a fight before over them, since then, it's everyone in their own corner so to speak.

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My dogs eat high value stuff in the same room with supervision. Whenever I have a foster or boarder they eat high value stuff in the crate in the same room until I know how they react. After a few months they may start to get to eat them out of the crate in the same room but with supervision. It also depends on the high value item. If its small and doesn't take long to eat, then they may eat that in a crowd sooner than larger items.

I do the same as Sambuca - my first foster hid the first few chews I gave her under her bed in her crate and growled at everydog who walked past. Then Barbie would sneak in and steal the hidden treaty when the foster was away, so she learned very quickly to eat her treats whenthey are given ha!

• 2 weeks later...

from my exp with multiple dogs, any high value treat (huge dino bones, or Rawhides, or whatever long time treats your dogs covet).... it's always greener between another dog's paws.

For instance, I would come home the first of the month, give each dog a dino bone, and ... within minutes, Dog one was stealing Dog Three's bone, Dog Two would race off to claim dog one's abandoned bone, and peeved dog three would be left with Dog two's then abandoned bone.... I never understood it.

Then our whippet came into the mix of big dogs, and would drag her huge bone into the room, and wait for the temptation to be too much for the others, She'd let them all switch bones, and then she would triumphantly trot off with an already started bone one of the bigger dogs had abandoned.... her needle like teeth evidently needed the bigger dogs to start the knawing processes for her... once it was started, she was good to go... like a wood chuck chuckin wood. :flip

as our older dogs died of old age, and we were just left with our whippet mix.... she will no longer touch any sort of bone or rawhide or toy. I don't know why that is. I wish she would... it would give her extra exercise. I finally gave up and gave her stuff away, cuz she would not touch or eat it. <<sigh>> :ghplaybow

Lex

• 2 weeks later...