Osteo Thread Part V I I

I'm so sorry it went so fast Jeni.

Be strong for your little girl. Hold her close and whisper in her

ear that she's only leaving for a while - she'll be happy and healthy

again and running on four legs until you see her again.

You're making the right decision, even though I know it's breaking your

heart. You tried everything you could, but the Greyhound God's have a

different plan now.

She'll be fine, it's you that's left with the broken heart.

You did well by your girl and gave her a wonderful home full of love for

many years.

Say goodbye to her with a smile on your face. She'll leave this world

with that last memory of a mom and dad that loved her dearly and will never

forget the sweet little brindle girl that made them so happy.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fastcasper

I'm so sorry. You know you did everything you could, and you are doing the right thing now. Her ship came in when it sailed up to the shores of your front door. I think the greys make it particularly easy for us to love them and want to provide them with the best because they do appreciate it and give back ten folds . You all are in my thoughts today. Please let her know that you will be ok and it is ok for her to leave. I think they need to know we will be ok even if we are not.

Kim

Guest LazyBlaze

I am so sorry that you're having to make this decision for Python. Stay strong, and hugs to you. :grouphug

Maggie :inlove , what an absolutely stunning girl, and so nice to read some good news in this thread, it gives everyone hope.

My heart goes out to everyone and their hounds who are fighting this.

Guest fastcasper

I am so scared for Casper. He goes next week for his possible 2(and final) round of Doxo. Then 2 weeks after that they will take chest x-rays.....

I am sorry to read the latest update on Python. My heart breaks for you to have to make this decision. It is beyond hard.

Kim, we'll all be thinking good thoughts for Casper! Try not to think of the future, stay in the now like Casper is doing and love him.

Maggie-Mae is a very special pup who has shown us that it is possible.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Henry's home! He is quite exhausted, so I'm letting him sleep. The bruising has traveled from his incision site to groin/belly area. He's also got a few jiggly pockets of fluid, which they've assured me is normal. This should lessen with ice, massage, and Amicar within the next week. Other than that, the meds have given him so diarrhea, so they added Flagyl. He's also on Rimadyl, Tramadol, Keflex, and Zonisamide (for his seizures). He handles opiates alright, so I'm not too worried about the pain management, except that I thought they would've given him Gabapentin. And I'm also inclined to believe he should have Cerenia to help with his appetite. I didn't put up an argument, though. I can always call if this combination isn't working, and they can give me something else.

I finally heard back from Dr. Mason at Penn for the osteo vaccine trial. We have to wait for the biopsy to come back. It's my understanding that in order to participate, it has to be a specific type of sarcoma (her/neu). But as long as that checks out, we'll start the vaccines after Henry's third chemo treatment. Still trying to research and get as much information as possible. Taking it one day at a time.

Just made the most difficult phone call ever to make an appointment to say goodbye. I hate this.

Sending you a hug. We've been where you are now and it's awful. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm not checking in as often anymore but just want everyone to know I am thinking of you all and your houndies as you battle on. May all your strength be with you!

Henry is having some draining below his incision. It's slow and doesn't look infected, but it looks a little strange to me. The incision is glued- no stitches, no staples, no bandages. Up until Friday, it was dry. Does this look normal, or should I take him back for a vet check?

2nbzwpg.jpg

I've a lot of a catching up to do here.

Jeni, I am truly sorry to hear that you have had to make this very difficult decision. You have done everything anyone could for her, and you are her hero.

Kim, I hope everything goes smoothly for Casper's next doxo treatment, and that it proves to keep the mets at bay!

Suzie, congratulations to all you, and especially Maggie-Mae for this amazing milestone! May she live to a very ripe old age! I am so happy to have been able to meet her (and you!) several times.

Alicia, what can I say but WOW! Henry is doing so fabulously. I can't believe he was already playing with toys (Twiggy had zero interest in toys for weeks post-amp). I also love how Truman has been keeping guard over him and bringing him presents - that is so sweet.

I've never seen (or heard of) using glue on an amp before, but his incision looks amazing, and there looks like extremely little bruising. I would be a little concerned about the area you mention, though. At first, I wondered if the glue just isn't holding in that particular spot, but looking closer, it's just like you said below the incision, not along the incision. I'd call the surgeon's office (maybe email them the photo).

Edited by TwiggysMom

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I'd vote for a vet check as well. Sort of looks like a blow out of some kind below the incision. If you clean it up, how long before it looks like this again? The speed of the seeping would dictate how urgently.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've just been blotting up the fluid and applying a compression bandage periodically. The black area is scabby to the touch. I don't want to do too much more and risk it bleeding a lot. I'm going to bring him in for a re-check tomorrow. I'm thinking a seroma forming, because he seems to be having some straining going to the bathroom #2. That fluid could be pushing up against his anal glands or something. Otherwise, everything looks really good. Only minimal bruising on his groin area. All the bruising and fluid pockets on his belly and other leg are totally gone. I'm giving him Missing Link to help his fur grow back in, so he is super soft!

Did his vet okay the Missing Link? Amicar is to promote proper clotting, but Omega 3 can work as a blood thinner...

(I'm not suggesting the Missing Link has anything to do with the discharge. I'm just surprised that Missing Link is okay so soon post-op.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just talked to someone in emergency. The surgeon suggested a warm compress, since enough time has passed and we don't need to ice him anymore. The heat can help to break up the fluid build-up. I did the compress for 15 minutes or so with a hot soapy washcloth. Afterwards, I cleaned it up with alcohol wipes. It looks way better now. Most of the black scabiness is gone. I may try that for a few days until our actual scheduled incision re-check appointment on Friday.

ETA, they said Missing Link was fine and shouldn't make a difference either way.

Edited by a_daerr

Did his vet okay the Missing Link? Amicar is to promote proper clotting, but Omega 3 can work as a blood thinner...

(I'm not suggesting the Missing Link has anything to do with the discharge. I'm just surprised that Missing Link is okay so soon post-op.)

I agree with this.

The Omega 3 is a anti-clotting, please stop that for the time being as it is not necessary. Many vets do not realize about the "fish oils", it's just starting to be known to many people hospitals.

I would take him in and have it cultured. The drainage that Henry's having looks similar to the fluid that drained from Lana's abscess after it ruptured. The surgeon put her back on Clavimox, but it still wasn't getting better so we took her to her vet who did a culture. Turns out Lana had a methicillin-resistant staph infection that wasn't responsive to Clavimox. Her vet switched her to Superfloxicin for 3 weeks, which eventually cleared up the infection.

The biopsy came back, and we had some pretty good news. I explained everything here in his H&M thread. :colgate

The surgeon was really happy with his incision. Like greysmom mentioned, she suspected some type of blow-out. After it was completely cleaned up, she could see two small holes (I say holes, but they're actually more like indents). She suspected that the skin is so thin there, stretching it back resulted in a tiny amount of the dead tissue. She put him on a stronger antibiotic (Cipro) to cover all our bases and also gave me chlorhexidine solution and ointment. The plan is to flush everything out 3-4 times a day and check back in a week. She felt everywhere, and there are no pockets of fluid. His bathroom issues are more likely attributed to the meds. Fingers crossed we're out of the woods.

The biopsy came back, and we had some pretty good news. I explained everything here in his H&M thread. :colgate

I think every one of us goes through the same thought process with the post-amp biopsy - PLEASE let it be some really rare, more curable form of cancer. Even though I knew it was osteo, I was hoping for a miracle until that official word came in. Jiminy, you must be so happy!!

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.