Yesterday I received Ruby's new orthopedic bed in the mail. I opened it up and thought it looked like Heaven and promptly put it down for her to lay on. Since then, she has fallen off it (4"deep) at least 50 times ! She then looks at me like I pushed her off or something. It is 24" X 42". Does this seem like it is too small for her ? She seems to fit on it fine when she wants to, but currently she is laying with one foot off and her head on the floor. She is only 60 lbs and her crate that she loves is only 24" wide so I thought this would be OK. This is in the living room.

Too narrow or she just not used to it yet ? I spent a fortune on it thinking it would help her creaky bones, but she doesn't seem happy. She used to have a flat round one from Costco that needed replaced. She also seems to circle a lot more often.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Buddy has 2 beds that are 36"' x 48" as well as a slumber ball/chair mattress that is 48" round. He lies on every one of them with his head hanging off and ETS in high gear. He cracks me up every day. :) 24" might be a bit narrow for a grey :dunno Looking at large wire crates most seem to be 28" to 30" wide.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest jbbuzby

Even when my dogs have a huge bed, parts of them will hang off. I thought it was a thing too, but after several huge beds, I've realized it's just them and there is no stopping it. No one said greyhounds were geniuses. :flip

I'm convinced that bed size (almost) doesn't matter to Greyhounds. It's very seldom Annie Bananie Whisker Face doesn't have some part of her body hanging off her bed on the floor. It's usually her head with her neck at that weird angle that I know would give me aches and pains for days. So what kind of expensive bed did ya get? :colgate

I'm convinced that bed size (almost) doesn't matter to Greyhounds. It's very seldom Annie Bananie Whisker Face doesn't have some part of her body hanging off her bed on the floor.

Except, of course, when they are squeezing all of themself into a teeny tiny cat bed! THEN they can get all of their body to fit. But move to the dog-size bed? Then parts wind up on the floor!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

George's bed is big enough for both of us to lay on and watch a movie. Where do I find him on my web camera many a time? The LL Bean waterhog doormat. It is not soft. It is not smooth. It is not comfy. He does not care.

I wouldn't worry--although 24 inches seems awfully narrow.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If it's not up against a wall or in a corner where she has some support, it's too small. Even in a corner, I'd probably want one a bit bigger or would tuck some pillows against the wall behind it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest dexter

every picture i see with a greyhound, they seem to have a huge bed. luckily, i have a futon mattress i have used in the past and have all set up for the new arrival.

We had an old couch and when we got rid of it to make room for the new one we saved the bottom couch cusions and put them together on the floor to make a big bed for Potter.

He loved it and all of his body parts would fit just fine. I got tired of how much room it took up, so I got rid of them and bought him a dog bed instead...one that was PLENTY big

enough for him. He was upset about losing the couch cusions so he got really dramatic about the new bed. Everytime he would get on it he would lay with his head hanging off

on the floor and sigh *really* loud to make a point.

Raven could have a 60" by 60" bed and she would still fall off. It's known as "bed failure" and it refers to the dog, not the bed. You'd think after having this much experience lounging she would be better at it, but no. Every time I look over at her, either her butt or her head is on the floor. And her bed is big enough for 2 dogs.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I have a memory foam bed here that everyone of the hounds have fallen off of. Gracie would only lay on it if I put a blanket on it first. Allie has has only gotten on it one, Havok didn't like it. Biggy seems to love it. I got mine at a reunion at a gently used table for $15.00 :blush

edit to add picture.

006-75.jpg

Edited by Cully

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

So after 3 days of her constantly falling off and looking irritated, and constant circling, I decided to see what was wrong. I unzipped it to look at the foam inside and WHEW...........it Stunk ! It smelled like fish. I took off the cover to see if I could wash it and it looked like the cover was all shredded and wouldn't last through a wash. I called Dr's Foster and Smith and told them the issue and they mailed me a return label. I ended up buying her a larger round bed with a bolster that I think she is going to like much better. I just got it today and haven't laid it down for her yet. The other smelly one is going to be shipped back. So much for the 4" of orthopedic foam. The new one looks like it has about 2" and a cozy place to put her head.

Karen