Indent On Dog's Side

Guest bearanddingo

Guest bearanddingo

Hello all,

I have an 8.5 yr old Grey that has been experiencing some puzzling problems for the past six months. He was "diagnosed" with chronic pancreatitis in February, however, the vet is not positive of this because she only used a snap test that didn't have a very conclusive result. Anyway, Bear now has an indentation on his side that has grown from a small ping-pong ball sized dent in February to one that all four of my fingers can fit into now. The area around the indent is fine and it doesn't seem to be causing much pain when I push on it. It is located on his lower right side abdomen close to his last few ribs. All I can feel when I push on it is his ribs underneath.
Bear had an ultrasound and x-rays of his abdomen when we were trying to figure out what he was sick with and the vet said everything looked normal. His CBC was also normal.

Other than having the indent on his side, he is also have a very low exercise tolerance and every time he pants, his tongue turns blue (but not his gums). I am not sure if this has anything to do with the indent, but when I asked the vet about the blueness, she said that it was because he is toothless and his tongue is hanging out.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this before or if y'all believe this is something that maybe should be seen by the vet (I am back home from college and not near my normal vet) soon.

Thanks!

Sorry, this is not something I've ever come across but hopefully someone will be able to help soon - this site has lots of very experienced greyhound owners! In the meantime, could you maybe take a photo of the indent and post it on here? (You will need to post it on a hosting site like photobucket first.)

Not sure from your post if it has suddenly grown in size, if so if it was my dog yes I would go see a vet asap. Otherwise I might prefer to leave it for my regular vet, as she knows him so well - but only for a few days, not for weeks or months. The exercise intolerance suggests to me he is actually pretty uncomfortable - greyhounds can be very stoical about concealing longterm pain. Lots of healing vibes for your boy, anyway!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

You need to seek out a second opinion ASAP.

Ditto. Tongues don't turn blue because they're hanging out. Hope you can find a vet to help you and your pupper!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bearanddingo

Thanks for the advice! I wanted to post some pictures last night, however I didn't know how. So here are some pictures of the indentation.

This is of his side. Although it doesn't have the best resolution and is kind of hard to see, hopefully you can make it out.

IMG_2353_zps1abc77e4.jpg

IMG_2363_zps983ded5b.jpg

And this one is from the top of his body looking down. It is just to show how there is the indent and then there is perfectly normalness right next to it. It has grown in size I believe from the time it started in February to now. So any advice on what this might possibly be (not much on the internet about it) is greatly appreciated!

Also I forgot to mention (this might be because the chronic pancreatitis) but Bear has been subtly loosing weight. He was at a slightly chuncky 90lbs in February, down to 83 lbs to date. It is just something I thought I would mention.

How long ago were the x-rays and ultrasound? If more than a week or two, I'd redo those ASAP. What you're probably seeing isn't an indent, exactly, but an enlargement of something else (spleen, maybe).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest bearanddingo

The x-rays and ultrasound were done in January and February when we were trying to figure out the cause of his problems (vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, panting, etc.) If you believe that it is an enlargement of something, would the pancreas be a viable option if he does have pancreatitis?

Could be but not as likely -- spleen is the common one. Did he have a CPL or other specific test that indicated pancreatitis?

Guest bearanddingo

He had a snap test that was supposed to indicate whether a certain kind of enzyme was in his blood (the name has slipped me). However, the test wasn't very conclusive because the control and the testing spot were the same shade of color (difference shades = positive/negative). So the vet is treating him as if he has pancreatitis but she admittedly said she doesn't know what he came down with.

Personally, if your vet says "she's not sure" and then treats something without actually knowing that's what's wrong, I'd get a second opinion right away. Hoping the best for your hound!

Edited by arandomchic

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Get another x-ray and ultrasound, today or tomorrow.

Are you taking him to UF Vet School?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest bearanddingo

I had initially taken him to the UF Vet School in January however, they were not taking me seriously and thought I was making the stuff up because I am a pre-vet student and "I had read about diseases and thought Bear had all of them." Needless to say after the third or fourth visit, I had had enough of their disbelief and switched vets. Bear is losing weight steadily but not at an alarming speed. It has taken 4 months to lose 7lbs. Thank you y'all for the advice! I will be getting him into his vet (who hasn't treated him for his current sickness but has had experience with Bear in the past) in my hometown as soon as possible.

If the UF Vet School will not take you seriously I would contact Dr Kellogg at Ohio State (Greyhound Health and Wellness Program). See if she has an ideas. See if the Dr's at Ohio State Vet Clinic have any ideas.

Then maybe she can work with the UF Vet School.

If you greyhound is sick you need someone to pay attention to you. Something must be enlarging and pushing something else out of position. Have them feel if spleen and liver.

Hugs and please contact Dr Kellogg. Can you scan in all his paperwork to email her?

Christine.Kellogg@cvm.osu.edu

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Have to go along with everyone else, second opinion quickly.

I have a virtually toothless girl, and a previous girl whose tongue just was too big to stay in her mouth, the tongues get dry (I poke/d them back in) but they are/were still pink, never blue.

Although this refers to trauma, it does mention the blue tongue:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/emergencyvets/2011/02/flail-chest-what-is-it/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ditto. Tongues don't turn blue because they're hanging out. Hope you can find a vet to help you and your pupper!

Exactly. Tongues hang out, they get dry, sometimes turn dark, but never blue!!

Can't see quite what you're talking about with the indent from those photos.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I think 7lbs is a significant weight loss over 4 months. Perhaps what you are seeing is from the weigh loss-he's becoming gaunt?? Another thought-is he having an increase in his exhalation? Could be developing a "heave line". I know you mentioned he had an abd ultrasound-how about an echo??

Guest bearanddingo

He hasn't ever had an EKG or any testing on his heart. A heave line is a good suggestion, but would something like that continue to grow? He doesn't seem gaunt, but you can definitely tell he has dropped some weight (eye sockets, skull, backbone more pronounce). He does inhale and exhale more deeply now and more often. I have seen his respiratory rate up to 54 while he was resting; even walking from the couch to the bed causes his RR to jump up to 30 bpm.

As far as his tongue, when he pants the underside and the tissue connecting it to his mouth turns bright blue/purple. He excessively salivates during that time and the top of his tongue turns almost a pale purple.

Tongue turning blue would be very worrisome to me, even more so than the indent in his side.

I second the cardiac workup..... sooner rather than later.

Absolutely!!!

Another (kind of freak) possibility is that there's a tumour in his chest cavity which is somehow connected to the inside of his ribs and something else and is pulling the ribs inward as it grows. An x-ray or ultrasound should show that up. I'd probably be asking for a referral if they weren't willing to investigate further.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

My father, who is now dead, his lips were turning bluish. Turns out his heart was not pumping enough.

If your dog has something enlarged in his body, it could be pushing on his heart.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yup, cardiac work in order definitely. Tongue turning blue and a vet states it's because he has few teeth and it's sticking outside the mouth??? Sorry, fire him/her immediately and get a good qualified second opinion ASAP.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.