Good News/bad News - Waiting On Path For Kebo Again

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest Fasave

I had an boy who was diagnosed at age 8 with soft tissue sarcoma low grade on his front leg so little skin to work with. They got clean margins but not wide enough margins. He was very high stress so I opted not to do the radiation. At the same time, I had another friend going through the same thing. Same location but they didn't get clean margins. She worked with Dr. Couto's team and called every vet clinic withIn 100 miles of Boston and finally found someone who would do the 5-FU treatment. Both boys were 8 at the time. My guys cancer came back three years later and was about the size of a pea so I had it removed again and then started the 5-FU treatment. Sadly a week later he was diagnosed with a bleeding tumor on his liver, likely cancer. He still lived another year and I said goodbye to him two days after his 12th birthday. My friends pup just passed away at 13.5 and not from the soft tissue cancer. I hope this gives you some hope.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advice, just :grouphug

I hope the second and third opinions give you some other options and hope.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytkidsmom

There has been a flurry of emails lately between my vet, myself, and OSU/NC State. An early email from Dr. Couto said that for incompletely excised grade I fibrosarcoma he would simply watch for local recurrence and do nothing more. Of course this assumes that this is the actual tissue diagnosis. Will await second opinions from pathologists and likely see an oncologist at NC State in the near future if nothing more than to evaluate for metastatic disease.

Kebo himself is still doing well. He began licking the incisions and is now wearing the "cone of shame." One of them seems to have opened up a little so photos have been sent to the vet.

Fortunately work has been insanely busy these past two days so it has kept my mind from wandering.

I had an boy who was diagnosed at age 8 with soft tissue sarcoma low grade on his front leg so little skin to work with. They got clean margins but not wide enough margins. He was very high stress so I opted not to do the radiation. At the same time, I had another friend going through the same thing. Same location but they didn't get clean margins. She worked with Dr. Couto's team and called every vet clinic withIn 100 miles of Boston and finally found someone who would do the 5-FU treatment. Both boys were 8 at the time. My guys cancer came back three years later and was about the size of a pea so I had it removed again and then started the 5-FU treatment. Sadly a week later he was diagnosed with a bleeding tumor on his liver, likely cancer. He still lived another year and I said goodbye to him two days after his 12th birthday. My friends pup just passed away at 13.5 and not from the soft tissue cancer. I hope this gives you some hope.

We did the 5FU with a tumor on his foreleg with excellent results. My vet got the protocol from Dr. Couto and was excited to try it. The biggest obstacle is getting sterile sesame oil to mix the 5FU in. We found a compounding pharmacy to provide it. It is nice to hear that you got so many extra years from the therapy and it does make me hopeful that we can so something similar for Kebo.

All I can provide is good thoughts for Kebo! I truly hope the 'good news' remains good and he keeps on fighting.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytkidsmom

4/24 update:

"Simply watch for local recurrence and do nothing more" sounds pretty darn good too me. :-). Will Dr Couto re-read the slides too?

With an opinion like that things don't seem as grim as they did the other day.

I don't think Dr. Couto will review the slides but OSU recommended a specific pathologist at Antech (where the slides are right now) to give them a second look. Dr. Kellogg said that would take several weeks plus a recut fee to have OSU do it. They will still go to NC State which will make the third look.

OSU is still recommending oncology referral so we will go ahead and set up a visit at NC State. I can't get away from work until the second week of May so I hope that by then the Antech pathologist opinion is in and that the slides are there. We met their oncologists before and they are very nice and seemed very knowledgeable. They may not have much more to offer but I think it is worth it to hear their thoughts.

In the meantime Kebo's incisions aren't healing well. One has opened up and the other has yellowish drainage. He is starting an antibiotic and we have re-instituted the "cone of shame." Unfortunately this means we have to cancel our trip to GIG. We are bummed but would hate ourselves if the stress of the trip worsened his pain or made the incisions open up even more. At the moment he is snoring in the corner so I have to assume he is as comfortable as possible.

All I can provide is good thoughts for Kebo! I truly hope the 'good news' remains good and he keeps on fighting.

Good thoughts are more powerful than any medicine on the planet. Thank you.

I'm saddened to hear Dr Couto isn't reading the slide himself :-(---he may be out of the country again.

Shame about GIG but, I'm sure you would agree with me that Kebo's health is more important. I've missed my share of events because of similar issues. I'll always remember being in Columbus (Osu) with one of my girls on Easter Sunday-I was the only one in the hotel!! However, I would never trade the care she received for an Easter dinner with the family :-)

Maybe you will see ya at Greyhounds Rock??!!??

Guest greytkidsmom

4/25 update:

NC State has communicated with my vet and agrees with second opinion on pathology.

Their thought is that simultaneous sarcomas would be highly unusual especially since there weren't any mitotic cells noted.

If it is sarcoma, they would recommend amputation (not something we plan to persue) or radiation.

Their radiation equipment is going through an upgrade and will not be available until July.

We will wait for the second opinion and then schedule a visit down there. They would repeat his chest radiographs and do a lymph node biopsy.

I will definitely ask them if they think the 5FU would be just as good an option as radiation. They may not be able to comment on it if the data isn't published. Dr. Couto told my vet that his data suggests that it is equivalent in the trials he has done.

In any event, encouraging news I think.

Kebo's wounds already look better after 2 doses of antibiotic. He took a walk around the block with us and we had trouble keeping up with him at some points. He promptly went out back and got to work digging in his newest hole. He is tolerating the cone of shame very well when he is in the house. Tiel and Lucas seem a little weirded out about the whole thing. Tiel snaps at him if he gets too close to her while he is wearing the cone and Lucas seems to be on a hunger strike. We are trying to give them each a little individualized attention to make them feel better.

Sending good thoughts to sweet Kebo.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greytkidsmom

4/27 Update

My vet called today - she has the amended pathology report.

It wasn't read by the person that OSU asked to have read it but this person says that the tissue appears like benign fibromatous changes; especially in the context of two different masses.

She is going to have her office call on Monday and ask to have the person we asked to read it review it.

This will make a third opinion and I guess we'll take the best 2 out of 3 opinions.

Fingers crossed. We could use some good news for a change.

:goodluck

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greytkidsmom

Still waiting but Antech will have the pathologist we requested read the slides at no charge because they didn't honor our request the first time.

No big deal, it isn't a big charge but good for customer service.

He gets the sutures out tomorrow and the incisions finally look like they are starting to heal.

:goodluck

Guest greytkidsmom

Second pathologist says benign without a doubt!!!

Deep sigh of relief.

Sutures didn't come out today - wound looks okay but not healed enough yet. I will take them out on Monday per vet's recommendations. Kebo is done with car rides for a while - he has earned it.

Good news so far. Scritchies and ice cream to your good boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:confetti Wonderful news!