Collapsible "waterdish" For Those Dog Days Of Summer

Picking which category to write this post caused quite the family "discussion", lol. I wasn't sure whether this should go in "Food & Dietary" or "Health & Medical". I say "Health & Medical" since we have to worry about dehydration and heat stroke without water. Feel free to offer your support if you're so inclined, lol.

Anyway, I've been on the hunt for a collapsible water bowl~~one that isn't too cumbersome/wide that will either hook onto a belt or fit inside my fanny pack. This morning, I came across this collapsible set of measuring cups, and it dawned on me that the 1-cup size would be perfect for those times when you're having too good a time to go home. (Bonnie has since tested it and approves it for use.) I got them at a liquidation warehouse (XS Cargo here is Toronto) for $6.99. I love those times when you unintentionally find what you're looking for. Here's the set:

IMG_2955_zpsfb9d0844.jpg

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I like these Outward Hound collapsible bowls myself.

They squish right into a fanny pack when they're not in use, so they take up minimal room. We've had ours for years. Plus they're cheap!

pet-guys_2238_29563585_zps0a02653a.jpg

We bought ours at Petsmart years ago. A quick google shows you can buy these for anywhere from $4 - $9.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry wouldn't go near the fabric one but I found the bowl that collapses like the measuring cups & he uses it regularly. Found it on clearance at Petco a while back.

I've had good luck teaching greyhounds to drink out of a plastic cup--we bring one with us when we hike, but it also means they can use a disposable cup anywhere.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest FinnsMom

I like these Outward Hound collapsible bowls myself.

They squish right into a fanny pack when they're not in use, so they take up minimal room. We've had ours for years. Plus they're cheap!

pet-guys_2238_29563585_zps0a02653a.jpg

We bought ours at Petsmart years ago. A quick google shows you can buy these for anywhere from $4 - $9.

Oh, I want one of these. I bid on one of these from one of the many greyhound auctions, but when I got it the size of it would be more appropriate to use with a chihuahua than greyhound. LOL Is there a place to order them online?

We use something really similar that we found at PetCo - works great! Not sure of the exact brand, but it looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008J9SVV4/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I have to keep a Stainless Steel Dog Bowl in each car. Mr. Picky won't drink out of anything else, but will drink out of my hand if I offer it. :bgeorge

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Oh, I want one of these. I bid on one of these from one of the many greyhound auctions, but when I got it the size of it would be more appropriate to use with a chihuahua than greyhound. LOL Is there a place to order them online?

No need to find those online -- you can get them at your local Petsmart (the collapsible Outward Hound bowls). I keep one in the van at all times under the driver's seat.

The collapsible measuring cups are a great idea! On sale, they can certainly be cheaper than anything made specifically for pets. Popware makes great collapsible pet stuff and many pet stores in Ontario/GTA sell their products. Popware themselves won't ship directly to Canadian customers. I have both the collapsible/adjustable double-bowl stand for traveling ($44.99 US) and the collapsible little bowl with carabiner ($7.99 US).

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I just checked Amazon.com and there is a 48 0z outward hound bowl for sale for $1.00. Says they have 1 left in stock. check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-Outward-Designer-Port-A-Bowl-48-Ounce/dp/B003MU9O8Y/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366070172&sr=8-2&keywords=outward+hound+bowl

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I prefer the plastic collapsible Popware bowls. They can be dried with a paper towel and then tossed into a bag. Those polyester Outward Hound bowls above stay wet and soggy for hours. We always seem to be carrying lots of things in tote bags for the dogs when we are out and about with them. I don't want any soggy bowls tossed into our dog at with travel beds, blankets, first aid kit, etc.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I prefer the plastic collapsible Popware bowls. They can be dried with a paper towel and then tossed into a bag. Those polyester Outward Hound bowls above stay wet and soggy for hours. We always seem to be carrying lots of things in tote bags for the dogs when we are out and about with them. I don't want any soggy bowls tossed into our dog at with travel beds, blankets, first aid kit, etc.

I completely agree! The Outward Hound bowls are only good if they can be dried out afterwards. This is exactly why I only use it in my car, where it can sit under my seat and dry out for the next time. Otherwise, I use the little Popware bowl.

Lisa B.

Guest FinnsMom

I just checked Amazon.com and there is a 48 0z outward hound bowl for sale for $1.00. Says they have 1 left in stock. check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-Outward-Designer-Port-A-Bowl-48-Ounce/dp/B003MU9O8Y/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366070172&sr=8-2&keywords=outward+hound+bowl

It might be $1.00, but shipping to me is $17.00. LOL I think I'll check out Petsmart like Lisa suggested. :)

We keep a red solo cup in the car for the girls while traveling. Don't usually carry stuff with us on hikes, but Rainy can and will drink out of a trickle steam as you pour out a water bottle. She is the easiest traveler! Sunshine will not though.

------

Jessica

Guest kkaiser104

My roommate has the outward hound bowl, and Teddi will drink out of it, but it's inconvient for us to use while hiking. We use something like this instead:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/7124/PETCREW-Handi-Drink?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cse&Extcid=CSEAZ

But the one I have (it's in the car so I don't have a brand name) is metal and I drink out of it as well while we're hiking. Super convenient, and Teddi doesn't drink tons so I've never had a problem.

http://www.puplight.com/coolpooch.html

I saw this at a pet expo, it’s a water bottle you and the dog can both use. You squeeze the bottle and hold the straw over the little tray on top so it fills with water for the dog. Then you can drink from the straw. The dog cup part is totally sealed off so the dog water can’t get back into the people water. :) It was pretty ingenious.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Love the popware bowls. Mine has one of those carbine clips so it can clip on a belt loop.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

My roommate has the outward hound bowl, and Teddi will drink out of it, but it's inconvient for us to use while hiking. We use something like this instead:

http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/7124/PETCREW-Handi-Drink?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cse&Extcid=CSEAZ

But the one I have (it's in the car so I don't have a brand name) is metal and I drink out of it as well while we're hiking. Super convenient, and Teddi doesn't drink tons so I've never had a problem.

These are kind of nice for long walks/hiking.

http://store.dexas.com/collapsible-travel-cup-with-bottle-holder-and-carabiner/

LOL, those are the little Popware bowls that are already being talked about. Great, aren't they? I don't use that one you linked to, with the water bottle holder, I prefer the one with just the little handle and carabiner.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

LOL, those are the little Popware bowls that are already being talked about. Great, aren't they? I don't use that one you linked to, with the water bottle holder, I prefer the one with just the little handle and carabiner.

Hahahaha! Stupid me, *FACEPALM*