Leah Was Attacked, I've Seen Worse But This Is Not Good.

I've been sending out lots of good thoughts to you and Leah, and I'm glad to hear a positive update---please continue to let us know how she is doing. And it's good for you to vent too. Such a horrible experience for both of you.

Gentle hugs to your sweet girl.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

Was looking for an Update and am delighted that you and Leah is doing better. It is what we all fear , that our Babies get attacked.

Give this poor Girl some extra gentle Hugs .

I'm so sorry! It's so scary when these things happen. Frustrating too. I carry pepper spray with me whenever I go out with my dogs for this reason. Nothing pisses me off more then irresponsible owners of aggressive dogs, especially dogs with a history of aggression toward other dog who are allowed to roam off leash. I am so sorry this happened!!

Also just seeing this, and so glad to see that Leah is on the mend, and sending her and you wishes for a continued quick and complete recovery. Every time I read about another greyhound being attacked, it really shakes me -- I've never completely gotten over the attacks on my own hounds. I am so sorry this happened to you -- it is a horrible thing to experience. Wishing peace to you.

Guest lynne893

As for Leah, my thoughts are with her. Our poor Timber suffered a similar attack (off leash pit).

As for you, I feel for your anxiety and fear of these neighbors. That might be the worst part of it all, is stupid, ignorant, mean humans.

Guest greytkidsmom

As for you, I feel for your anxiety and fear of these neighbors. That might be the worst part of it all, is stupid, ignorant, mean humans.

It is always a shame that animals have to suffer the consequences of a human's bad judgement.

Frankly anytime I see a pit off leash, I get my dogs and leave the area. I am not afraid of them as far as worrying about myself getting bit, but I trust them about as far as I can throw them when it comes to other dogs. Regardless of what their owner say, I never trust a pit bull "not" to fight. We had some horrible off leash incidents (some bad maulings and two deaths) caused by off leash pits. One of these was my friend's greyhound. The same pit was off leash in the park and attacked the greyhound (who was on leash) on two separate occasions. Both attacks resulted serious hospital visits. The pit's owner paid the vet bills. And continued to have that dog off leash in the park.

I am very happy with her progress. She is still freaked out over the drain wiggling around, but she's being very good otherwise. I know her wounds will heal physically and I will do all that I can to keep her from developing any anxiety about other animals. I think the anxiety will be mostly mine. She's been exposed to a great number of situations and people and she trusts me. She hasn't been too jumpy or anxious thankfully, course we haven't been out of the house except to the vet. Not sure what we'll do about the walking situation yet.

Thanks again to you all for your support and stories. No one - hound or otherwise deserves this. WTH can't people just be responsible and careful. Never mind, that was rhetorical and I know there's no good answer. We just have to be more suspicious and watchful I guess. Man this just sucks.

042.JPG025.JPG

Hug your hounds...

Jody

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I'm so glad to hear Leah is healing well. When does the drain come out?

I'm not exactly sure, or perhaps I forgot. That wound is still weeping pretty good. I'll talk to the vet tomorrow. They even called me today to check on her - I thought that was really sweet.

About the time we usually walk, Jimmie started getting excited tonight but I just couldn't bring myself to walk on our street. So, we took the recycling to Walmart and pooped in their parking lot. We stayed way down on the lower edge of the lot so we didn't have to encounter anyone questioning her injuries. We had a nice safe walk and I know they both enjoyed it and then we came home. Not sure I want that to be our regular route but it worked for tonight :)

As we returned home there was a truck that looked like it might have been the one they used to remove the attacker afterwards. I notified the deputy but I sure wish I didn't have to look for crap like that. I just wish this was over.

Edited by HoundHeavenAZ

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

As we returned home there was a truck that looked like it might have been the one they used to remove the attacker afterwards. I notified the deputy but I sure wish I didn't have to look for crap like that. I just wish this was over.

From the photos, I think you have a fenced yard? If so, please be careful and check the area before you let your guys outside. Look for something your guys shouldn't get into that someone could have thrown over the fence.

Sorry to sound so suspicious, but I'm really not trusting your neighbors just now. They haven't been very helpful so far...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

From the photos, I think you have a fenced yard? If so, please be careful and check the area before you let your guys outside. Look for something your guys shouldn't get into that someone could have thrown over the fence.

Sorry to sound so suspicious, but I'm really not trusting your neighbors just now. They haven't been very helpful so far...

OMG....I hadn't even thought of that. Fenced yard, sure. Thank you so much. Lucky for all of you that I can't type as profanely as I'm thinking right now.

We're experiencing 50mph gusts today so no hound is out, but when they are I am nearly always with them. Especially in the last two weeks since the seizures and now Leah being hurt.

This is why my motto is - the more people I meet the more I like my dogs. Thank you for thinking of this precaution.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

If you are concerned with the neighbors throwing something in the yard, muzzles with stool guard will keep the dogs from eating something they shouldn't. Hope your sweetie heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

That's another helpful hint, thank you. But to tell you the truth ... I don't let them out of my sight now. Not that they were ever far from me, but now I watch everything and examine the yard frequently.

Gates have been locked forever. Motion detector lights on all corners of the house. Pistols loaded.

But I'm calm and confident and cheerful for the dogs somehow.

Leah was feeling better yesterday - even did a playbow and half-snarked once at Jimmie :love2

If you are concerned with the neighbors throwing something in the yard, muzzles with stool guard will keep the dogs from eating something they shouldn't. Hope your sweetie heals quickly.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

"Leah was feeling better yesterday - even did a playbow and half-snarked once at Jimmie."

Don't you just love those first signs of normalcy? Even a half-snark can make all the difference! So glad she's feeling better!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

"Leah was feeling better yesterday - even did a playbow and half-snarked once at Jimmie."

Don't you just love those first signs of normalcy? Even a half-snark can make all the difference! So glad she's feeling better!

Yeppers! I love a happy, playful hound :) The drain will come out Thursday am.

j

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

Playbows and half snarks are great in this instance! It sounds like her recovery is progressing in a positive way, both physically and mentally. I just wish you didn't have to live near these lowlifes.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I'm just catching up on Leah's progress. I'm so glad she is getting better. This is one of my worst fears. My Zephyr was attacked while he was on leash by an off leash pit bull about 4 years ago on Christmas Eve right in front of our house. Some people were visiting at the house next door. I was taking him out for a walk. He has a few small scars, but it was nothing like what happened to you and Leah. He didn't even have to go to the vet. The fear and anxiety from that are still with me today, but it's gotten better. Luckily he pulled out of his collar and was able to run away down the street. The pit chased him. My neighbors were coming to help by then. Zephyr did get one bite back at the dog leaving a small cut on it's head. I had actually pet this dog once and it was very friendly, but I think the fighting is just in their nature and they don't stop. I tend not to walk on streets and go in the forest most of the time and I always carry pepper spray and my phone now. But, when something like that happens it's so fast I don't know if I'd be able to get the spray out in time.

It's so sad and unfair that this happened to Leah. I hope you both continue to heal and feel better. :ghplaybow

I imagined hundreds of times how I would protect my hounds if this nightmare ever occurred, and I failed to. I was emotionally prepared to inflict severe damage to an attacker, but in the moment I couldn't get close enough. It was all too fast.

I'm glad that Zephyr escaped with only minor injuries and I hope your ability to relax and enjoy your walks was later restored. Thank you.

I'm just catching up on Leah's progress. I'm so glad she is getting better. This is one of my worst fears. My Zephyr was attacked while he was on leash by an off leash pit bull about 4 years ago on Christmas Eve right in front of our house. Some people were visiting at the house next door. I was taking him out for a walk. He has a few small scars, but it was nothing like what happened to you and Leah. He didn't even have to go to the vet. The fear and anxiety from that are still with me today, but it's gotten better. Luckily he pulled out of his collar and was able to run away down the street. The pit chased him. My neighbors were coming to help by then. Zephyr did get one bite back at the dog leaving a small cut on it's head. I had actually pet this dog once and it was very friendly, but I think the fighting is just in their nature and they don't stop. I tend not to walk on streets and go in the forest most of the time and I always carry pepper spray and my phone now. But, when something like that happens it's so fast I don't know if I'd be able to get the spray out in time.

It's so sad and unfair that this happened to Leah. I hope you both continue to heal and feel better. :ghplaybow

Jody, Leah & Jimmie