Leah Was Attacked, I've Seen Worse But This Is Not Good.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a good visit at the vet today, out came the drain and the stitches and the Dr. was really pleased with Leah's healing progress :) 1 more week of AB and a final follow up visit and we should be done at the vet's for a while :balloonparty

We went by the hooman hospital on the way home to walk on their nice track - it's clean, and safe and there are no "stray" dogs there so enjoyed getting some badly missed exercise and a bit of sniffing.

Thank you all for your help and support and hug your hounds :ghplaybow

004.JPG011.JPG

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

That's excellent news, the good clean air and a little sunshine will work wonders on helping poor Leah's wounds to heal. Don't stop the AB's too soon.. better to pay for an extra course if there are insects etc waking up or if Leah might be tempted to roll or roach.

I'm glad she's doing OK and showing good healing progress.

Does your vet do therapeutic laser? Beth had some (much smaller) open wounds from a dog bite this fall that were frustrating me with their slowness in healing -- I did one session of laser therapy on them and it definitely seemed to speed up their closing. I would absolutely do it again (and sooner) next time she has any significant wound or surgical site needing healing.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

So glad to hear your beautiful girl is getting better every day.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm glad she's doing OK and showing good healing progress.

Does your vet do therapeutic laser? Beth had some (much smaller) open wounds from a dog bite this fall that were frustrating me with their slowness in healing -- I did one session of laser therapy on them and it definitely seemed to speed up their closing. I would absolutely do it again (and sooner) next time she has any significant wound or surgical site needing healing.

I don't know, but sometime I'll ask her. So far though, we're doing well and I don't want any more intervention that we have to have.

Tonight we walked on our road for the first time - the opposite direction from the crime scene, but I was a nervous wreck by the time we got home. Think I need an adult beverage now. I think the dogs enjoyed getting out though, so mission accomplished!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

Guest Isabella

This happened to my friends boxer earlier today, only her boxer and beagle were in her own yard, the pit mix first attacked the beagle which my friends daughter tried to stop and got bit in the process, then the pits owner showed up and his own dog turned on him and bit him in the face, I think they said 18 stitches above the eye, finally the pit turned on the boxer, he is in pretty bad shape tonight, just like your Leah he is full of drains and many staples. Now the owner of the pit says he doesn't want the dog so doesn't feel he should be responsible for the bills !? Seriously irresponsible owners are my biggest pet peeve.

I agree , dont stop the abx to soon, infection is definitely your worst enemy, also when you are out in public places walking, try to cover the wound areas as best as possible, again infection in bite wounds is very common and can cause so many additional problems.

Give Leah lots of love and TLC from Rhonda and Izzy in Iowa !

ps I have the phrase "Hug the Dog" embroidered on one of my totes, as doing so ALWAYS makes one feel better :)

So glad Leah is feeling better!!!

Somewhat off topic, but what did you use to make the collars with their names and phone numbers? It's a greyt idea, it looks like you can read those from quite a distance, which is wonderful. If I didn't know better, I would say they almost look like they are made from duct tape....you know you can do so many things with that these days.... :bgeorge

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Thanks! I made them on some NEON nylon fabric that I had and had the embroidery done by a friend. I had the lettering made very large so that it could be read at a distance if the hounds were ever loose. I put velcro on them and they wear them whenever we're out ... just in case.

So glad Leah is feeling better!!!

Somewhat off topic, but what did you use to make the collars with their names and phone numbers? It's a greyt idea, it looks like you can read those from quite a distance, which is wonderful. If I didn't know better, I would say they almost look like they are made from duct tape....you know you can do so many things with that these days.... :bgeorge

Oh geez that makes me sick to hear about all those injuries and damage. I'm so sorry for everyone that got hurt. But even if the guy doesn't want the dog, he was the owner when the attack happened so he's still responsible. I hope the attack was reported to the police. Best wishes to all for a speedy and full recovery.

Leah is doing well thanks. Still eating her pills and being good about licking most of the time :) She's such a good girl unless you try to touch her feet :yikes

Cheers to Izzy and the crew :)

This happened to my friends boxer earlier today, only her boxer and beagle were in her own yard, the pit mix first attacked the beagle which my friends daughter tried to stop and got bit in the process, then the pits owner showed up and his own dog turned on him and bit him in the face, I think they said 18 stitches above the eye, finally the pit turned on the boxer, he is in pretty bad shape tonight, just like your Leah he is full of drains and many staples. Now the owner of the pit says he doesn't want the dog so doesn't feel he should be responsible for the bills !? Seriously irresponsible owners are my biggest pet peeve.

I agree , dont stop the abx to soon, infection is definitely your worst enemy, also when you are out in public places walking, try to cover the wound areas as best as possible, again infection in bite wounds is very common and can cause so many additional problems.

Give Leah lots of love and TLC from Rhonda and Izzy in Iowa !

ps I have the phrase "Hug the Dog" embroidered on one of my totes, as doing so ALWAYS makes one feel better :)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie