Leah Was Attacked, I've Seen Worse But This Is Not Good.

The backstory: renters down the street have two pits. One has escaped and charged us without contact twice, reported it to AC but never got photos = no evidence. Many cars, in and out, your basic dirt bags and he's a freaking Hells Angel.

We needed a little walk tonight so we took our regular route past the pit house, and I had my trusty pvc pipe and my cell camera at the ready. I've had so many nightmares about how I would handle an attack...

We were nearly past the house, out comes an unknown pit mix and it starts attacking Leah. I tried hitting the dog but my pipe, my cell, went airborne and all I could do was scream obscenities for the moron to get his .&*^%$(..... dog away from my babies.

Dufus grabs his pit mix dog by the collar (no leash) pulls it into the garage of the renter with the two full pits, checking for injuries which of course, it did not have. I asked 3 times as he cuddled the dog.

I'm screaming, and neighbors start watching. One fearful neighbor (too afraid to report the 2 pit owners that she lives next door to for the last year) said she would call the police for me. The fat bastard down the street a couple of houses just watched.

I spoke to the Sheriffs office on the neighbor ladies phone, then walked home. Leah was ambulatory but I knew she would soon go shocky, catotonic. Got the car, called my vet, hauled ass. After hours of course.

Stitches, drain, punctures. Could have been SO much worse, but my baby girl did not deserve this. She will be miserable for SO long over this - she runs and hides when I drop a damned fork even after 6 years together.

Deputy shows up at the vet - someone I know with a deep affection for his Dobie girl that I've known for years. Takes my info, pictures, statement.

I head home.and there are 2 deputies at the renter dude's house that I have to pass by to get home. I spoke to my friend deputy and he asks me more info about the incident, then ... "can I identify the dog's owner in his vehicle". I did, then left for home. By now I'm fearful and shaking. Moron stated that I tried attacking HIM with my PVC pipe.

A bit later, the Deputy shows up at my house. He has charged the dog's "owner" with a vicious attack and something else that I can't recall. The dog's owner, the renters, all deny that it was their dog = "it was a stray". "We had nothing to do with it".... "never seen it before"...bastards.

He goes to court in May - he's an Afghanistan vet. and he now lives with the Hells Angel dude. Deputy says, regarding my personal safety, I have no more to worry about tonight than I would have yesterday. Then why am I having a 100 proof adult beverage with a pistol sitting on the desk? Must be a worry wart.

Jimmie went with us to the vet of course since he now has seizures. Thankfully he's holding his own for the last week and I remembered to give him his pheno when we got home.

My precious little Leah did not deserve this. Please GT, keep Leah in your thoughts. Her recovery will be tough for her. Muscle punctures and tears on both sides, road rash on her feet. Antibiotics, sedation, pain meds.

Vet said she WILL have PTSD over this one. She prescribed something that I haven't gotten yet for it - "ace" maybe? Anything I need to know about this before I get the prescription? I trust my vet, but I need GT to tell me I'm doing right for my girl too.

I so want to swear, scream.

Forgive me mods, I was unsure where to put this post. Thank you for indulging my disjointed rant. I'm just so disgusted and pissed.

Leah+got+attacked+002.JPGLeah+got+attacked+004.JPG

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you and Leah are having to go through this. From your description of Leah's temperament, there's a good chance she'll have some lasting trauma from this that you'll have to help her work through, but not necessarily. Years ago, my undersocialized, fear-aggressive IG was attacked by a husky while on a walk with my father. He was a little scared of other dogs, especially strange ones, to begin with, but the incident didn't seem to make him any worse than before.

If you expect her to have problems and are anxious about it yourself, she'll sense that and she probably will have problems. You can help reduce the chance she'll have chronic anxiety, or perhaps at least minimize the severity, by being calm and confident yourself and expecting her to be ok.

I'm a little confused by your vet's prescription of a medication (sedative? anti-anxiety?) for an anticipated problem. I wouldn't medicate her for anxiety unless she actually shows signs of it. And if it's ace, that's not an appropriate medication for anxiety anyway. Although I'm not sure acepromazine is even carried in human pharmacies (most vets dispense it out of the clinic), so that may not be what she prescribed.

Sending good thoughts for a fast recovery, both physically and mentally!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Thank you so much for your input. I do appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Perhaps I misunderstood on the med, will see tomorrow when I pick it up. I work hard to keep up a confident and positive attitude with them. I just wish I could have protected her.

She's been up to change beds twice... finally settled on her favorite elevated bed and Jimmie is sticking close by her :inlove

Leah+got+attacked+007.JPG

Sorry you and Leah are having to go through this. From your description of Leah's temperament, there's a good chance she'll have some lasting trauma from this that you'll have to help her work through, but not necessarily. Years ago, my undersocialized, fear-aggressive IG was attacked by a husky while on a walk with my father. He was a little scared of other dogs, especially strange ones, to begin with, but the incident didn't seem to make him any worse than before.

If you expect her to have problems and are anxious about it yourself, she'll sense that and she probably will have problems. You can help reduce the chance she'll have chronic anxiety, or perhaps at least minimize the severity, by being calm and confident yourself and expecting her to be ok.

I'm a little confused by your vet's prescription of a medication (sedative? anti-anxiety?) for an anticipated problem. I wouldn't medicate her for anxiety unless she actually shows signs of it. And if it's ace, that's not an appropriate medication for anxiety anyway. Although I'm not sure acepromazine is even carried in human pharmacies (most vets dispense it out of the clinic), so that may not be what she prescribed.

Sending good thoughts for a fast recovery, both physically and mentally!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I'm so sorry - lots of healing and calming thoughts for you both. As JJNg says, you staying calm and confident will help her. I wonder if manuka honey dressings might help with healing up some of those wounds?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I'm so sorry! Very glad it wasn't worse. If the very actually have you Ace please please please do not use it. It doesn't help calm the brain chemistry, it just causes them to be unable to react to the fear. So they are prisoners in their own heads. :-( I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I'm hoping your vet really have got a script for the generic of Xanax, which starts out with and a c e.....

------

Jessica

How awful. Everyone's worst nightmare and it's one that ALWAYS comes out of nowhere.

Can't do much more than commisserate, wish Leah a speedy recovery, and wish extreme bad luck to the people who allowed that dog to be so dangerously out of control in a public place. I despise lowlifes who try to avoid responsibility for what they have allowed to happen.

I will sometimes carry a Hickory walking stick (heavy wood) in bad places.

Stay safe. Any defense is your right now.

OMG. What a nightmare. Poor Leah. Gentle kisses for sweet Leah. I really think JJNg's post was spot on. They are often more resiliant than we realize-in fact they are often more a lot of things than we realize-and try to think positive for Leah and she may surprise you how well she handles it. Your love is very powerful. Praying for her to have a miraculous recovery. God bless you both. Kudos to your law enforcement friend(s). Sounds like they were a big help and are doing everything they can. My feelings toward the trash-human and canine- that are responsible for this are not civil enough to post.

If it's ACE, I wouldn't even pay for the RX. Just pass on it. It's not good for greyhounds.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Poor baby girl. I hope you two are feeling better soon.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Sending lots of good thoughts for Leah and for Jimmie.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life