Hi From Florida...please Read (About Adopting This Weekend)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Guest bethac

Hi everyone! I just got back from my little trip to the Greyhound Adoption Kennel. Now I just have to make my decision on one to pick. I'm having trouble picking between three fine females. One is a light brindle and one is a dark brindle. Then there's a lovely fawn one (who is quite young about to be two in May). They are all soooo sweet, The Donna lady that runs the kennel said let me know who I pick and she will have her ready by this up and coming Saturday. Yay! Donna told me to sleep on it regarding which one to pick, Any advice on how to choose between such lovely greys? Also someone on here told me to look out for a male grey named "Shock." I saw him and he was quite the tail wagger. I can't wait to bring my little baby home :)

I was the one who asked you to look for Shock, aka Santan Shockwave!! He is grandson to my broodie!! A tail wager you say? Bet he is a doll. In terms of which hound to adopt, all I can say again is to trust your instincts. Don't base the choice on appearance. keep us posted on what you decide and please share some pictures!! Good luck!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Good morning friends. This morning I called Donna & told her that I decided on "Dominica." Here is a picture of her. I promise to take a picture of me with Dominica when I pick her up. Look at that smile. She melted my heart. She stood out the most because when Donna let her off the leash she did her little "sprinting" episode like the other greys but after she was done she came over to where Matt & I were sitting and greeted us. It's almost as if she was saying "What's up? Who are you two?" :beatheart:beatheart I'm already calling her "Dom." Her Birthday is Nov 4th 2009. Also her coat was softer than the other grey girls I looked at. I hope Donna gets a spaying appointment this week so I can pick up my girlie this weekend.

Dominica.jpg

Congratulations!

Hope she's home soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Congratulations.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Good morning. Thanks for all the congrats. I can't wait to find out the day I get to bring my baby home. AnywaysI have a question regarding names. The name of my hound is "Dominica" pronounce "Dom-in-EEKa." The name is cute and all but do you think I should change it? I was thinking aobout changing it to something with less syllables. However I've been looking around on the internet & some say its best to keep the greyhound's provided name. Did any of you owners change your greyhound's name? Also the picture of Dominica I showed you doesn't even do her justice. I'll take some flattering pictures so you all can say how she really looks.

Edited by mischaluvsgreys

Good morning. Thanks for all the congrats. I can't wait to find out the day I get to bring my baby home. AnywaysI have a question regarding names. The name of my hound is "Dominica" pronounce "Dom-in-EEKa." The name is cute and all but do you think I should change it? I was thinking aobout changing it to something with less syllables. However I've been looking around on the internet & some say its best to keep the greyhound's provided name. Did any of you owners change your greyhound's name? Also the picture of Dominica I showed you doesn't even do her justice. I'll take some flattering pictures so you all can say how she really looks.

Some people always keep their racing or kennel names and some people change them. It's a personal choice. I don't think it matters to the dogs. They can learn to respond to a new name very quickly and easily. If you want a shorter version of Dominica, you could call her Nica. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Galgrey, I like "Nika." It almost sounds like my cats name "Miko." Anyways you mentioned that it was easy to get a dog to respond to a new name. This will be my first ever dog. I was wondering if you could please give me some hints on how to easily get her to respond to a new name? I'm assuming this involves treats.

OK.. Ya gotta remember this -- said with a big smile here -- adopting a Greyhound is not brain surgery and it involves a lot of common sense and what *you* want to do. If you want to change her name to Fluffy, she'll be your dog and you can do it, and you don't need anybody's approval or disapproval coming at ya.

My girl's name, Annie, has nothing whatsoever to do with her racing name, which was PG Digger (talk about unfeminine). If she came to me with the name Digger, she would have lost it the minute I signed the adoption papers and anybody who wouldn't have liked the change -- well, too bad on them.

As far as her responding to her new name, I don't think treats are necessary, but they won't hurt. (I consider treats a way to reinforce positive behavior, such as: come, stay, down, etc.) I'd just use her new name a lot, over and over and over. When you talk to her use her name 2 or 3 times in a sentence. When you call her, always use her name. When you praise her, always say her name. Use it over and over and over and within a few days she'll get it.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Thankyou Feisty, GalGrey, and everyone who responded. I guess I am acting like an overanalyst, huh? Oopsies. I'll take it down a bit and just go with my instinct. But I'm really glad I read that manual about Greyhounds because it gave a lot of helpful/useful tips that I would never have known to do. Also I like everyone's signature banners with all their hounds on them. I guess I'll have to whip out my paint shop pro skills to make one for "Dominica" or whichever name I decided on LOL.

congratulations, she has a beautiful smile!

About names, my first two had their names changed by the adoption group and I liked the names they picked, so I kept them. The next two had racing names that didn't make good pet names, so I changed them. I used the new names all the time when talking to them, and especially when I fed them. "Here you go Sallie, here's dinner" They learned very quickly :)

I hope your new girl gets to come home soon!

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Oh yes! I hope she gets to come home by this Saturday. The owner of the kennel said she'd call me once she knew when Dominica's spaying appointment was (that way she could tell me a day to pick Dominica up after the spaying). I've learned that she sometimes gets a little busy so I might call her Wednesday if I still havn't heard anything. I'll let everyone know on here as soon as I know an exact date. I'm getting so amped. Everyone on here is holding me over though. LOL. I'm kind of stumped on names a little. I can't seem to pick one and neither can my boyfriend. We're both libras so we're a little indecisive at times. But we'll think of something. I want something short and sweet with two syllables preferred. Also I don't know if I told you all but Dominica came straight from her racing kennel to Donna's kennel when she retired. She never went to a foster home in between. So I'm doing some dog proofing in the house. Mostly I'm just cleaning and getting the crate set up and what not. She might be a little bit of a challenge but maybe not juding by the way she acted when I first met her. In fact my man and I both loved her calm presence. I'm sure we'll see her goofy side soon though. Oh I just can't wait. I know that my new grey and I will change each others lives in an awesome and fulfilling way. :beatheart

You'll know if Dom, Nica, Minnie, etc feels like the right name. Just give it time. Also, try to remember that our hounds always seem to feel more comfortable when momma's calm and relaxed. Having a dog is one of the most fun things and my present three hounds have given me sometimes so much more than I have given them I sometimes think..... You will laugh at some of the goofy things, learn a ton of stuff about dogs/ greyhounds, and find after just a short time you love her more than you ever expected. I wish you tons of fun and good times no matter what her name will be!!

Boy oh boy. I vividly remember the 5 days leading up to being able to bring Annie home. I could not wait! I also like names with two syllables but I also like a first and second name, hence Annie Bella (the Bella was bestowed upon Annie by my granddaughter). If you're like a lot of us, though, you'll find yourself using names of endearment which may not sound at all like their given name. I often call Annie Whisker Face because of all the whiskers sticking out from all sorts of places.

Guest sireltonsmom

Congratulations on Dominica. I agree with whatever name you choose will be fine. I called Sir Elton Sir Doggie, Baby, etc. He knew who he was and what he was to me. Mindy (Maid in the USA) has been Mindy, Girly Girl, Sweetie and she too knows who/what she is in our lives. One point I'd like to make is please put painters tape or something noticeable eye level on any/all sliding glass doors or full length mirrors. It's for her safety. You don't want her trying to run thru glass! Most dogs coming from the kennel just need to be shown what a house is all about and that she has a comfy place to be. I'm sure you know not to let her run or jump into a car while she has stitches. Neosporin when healing (4-5 days) sometimes keeps the stitches from feeling like they're pulling to her. Enjoy your sweet girl. They have different personalities than the boys - each is a treasure. :ghplaybow :dogcookie

Guest Clawsandpaws

Picking a name was so hard! My boys racing name was "CL Snow Beast" his call name was Beast... Um. NO! His full name is Sir Dudley, sometimes Sir Dudley Winston Charles. He responds wonderfully :) We end up calling him dud-dud most of the time. It will come to you! I just started calling him by his new name, whisper it to him, call him to dinner with it etc

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Congratulations on Dominica. I agree with whatever name you choose will be fine. I called Sir Elton Sir Doggie, Baby, etc. He knew who he was and what he was to me. Mindy (Maid in the USA) has been Mindy, Girly Girl, Sweetie and she too knows who/what she is in our lives. One point I'd like to make is please put painters tape or something noticeable eye level on any/all sliding glass doors or full length mirrors. It's for her safety. You don't want her trying to run thru glass! Most dogs coming from the kennel just need to be shown what a house is all about and that she has a comfy place to be. I'm sure you know not to let her run or jump into a car while she has stitches. Neosporin when healing (4-5 days) sometimes keeps the stitches from feeling like they're pulling to her. Enjoy your sweet girl. They have different personalities than the boys - each is a treasure. :ghplaybow :dogcookie

Picking a name was so hard! My boys racing name was "CL Snow Beast" his call name was Beast... Um. NO! His full name is Sir Dudley, sometimes Sir Dudley Winston Charles. He responds wonderfully :) We end up calling him dud-dud most of the time. It will come to you! I just started calling him by his new name, whisper it to him, call him to dinner with it etc

Thankyou all for the reponses! Yes all the sliding glass doors I have are covered with long drapes so I hope that will work just fine (we usually keep them closed). When we want sun we venture outdoors but indoors we're like vampires I swear LOL. Also Sir Dudley is cool. I noticed he's a brindle just like Dominica. I hope she accepts me as her owner nicely and with love. I hope she warms up to me.

Which of the groups in the Tampa Bay Area do you feel most comfortable with? You might want to register your new greyhound with that group and get her in their database. They should give you one of the groups tags to put on her also. This is her safety net and her way home if, heaven forbid, she takes herself on a walk about. Usually in the Tampa Bay Area you are welcomed at any of the greyhound groups events and gatherings.

We like to attend. GREAT, Gold Coast Clearwater, and Bay Area Greyhound Events. The group in Sarasota, Racing Dogs, also puts on a wonderful summer event. Gold Coast Orlando also puts on some nice events also. This is have greyhound, will travel.

Greyhound Events

Sandy Paws

Spring Dewey

Hound Dog Howliday

Greyhounds in Gettysburg

Grapehound Wine Tour - Virginia

Greyhound Event of Michigan

Mountain Hounds

Greyhound Festival of teh Bluegrass

Grapehound Wine Tour - New York

Beach Bound Hounds

Greyhounds Reach The Beach

Take a Bite Out of Canine Cancer - Greyhounds ROCK Fredericksburg

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi I just found out that I'm picking up Ms. Dominica tomorrow afternoon...can't wait to share pics with all of ya. Now off to do some cleaning & get the crAte up. ..by,myself lol.

Thankyou all for the reponses! Yes all the sliding glass doors I have are covered with long drapes so I hope that will work just fine (we usually keep them closed). When we want sun we venture outdoors but indoors we're like vampires I swear LOL. Also Sir Dudley is cool. I noticed he's a brindle just like Dominica. I hope she accepts me as her owner nicely and with love. I hope she warms up to me.

She will eventually know you and yours and that your house is hers. It may take a while. It may take overnight. If it doesn't happen right away in a manner you hope, it will in the way she wants. As I've said so many times, my Annie is a very very calm Grey, which is saying a lot about a breed that is pretty calm. She doesn't do anything bad, but she's also not a dog who gets SUPER EXCITED about anything. It took months before she showed me that she was happy when I returned to the house from being out. There's nothing like having a dog NOT greet you at the door to make a person wonder WTH? LOL. It was over 6 months before she decided she would learn the stairs just so she could sleep upstairs with me. Until then, she slept downstairs by herself. I know now that Annie is a happy girl being my girl because she shows it, in a mild, calm way, but it took a while.

Just saying love your dog and love on her no matter what and she'll come around, if she doesn't right away, in her own time.

Edited by Feisty49