Hi From Florida...please Read (About Adopting This Weekend)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi. I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured the introductions section would be appropriate. Anyways. I'm Michelle from Florida and this Saturday I'm driving an hour and half to pick out a female greyhound. I live with my boyfriend (a former grey owner) who insists on a female? I honeslty don't mind which gender grey we get...I'm just so excited for my first grey (my first dog in general). I've owned cats but I'm 25 now and am finally financially ready for a dog. So, my boyfriend Mac (who adopted a greyhound and sadly only owned her for two years because she died of a stroke at the young age of 5 RIP Drey) is going with me to Fort Myers adoption kennel to pick out a greyhound. Once we pick her out, the owner will get her spayed and we can pick her up within a week. I have done homework and am currently reading "Adopting the racing Greyhound" by Cynthia A. Branigan. Does anyone have any advice for me? I promise to post pictures as soon as I have my new grey friend. Also I currently have a crate, bed, leash, collar. What else should I buy besides food? My boyfriend keeps laughing at me for watching youtube videos constantly with greyhounds in them. LOL. I'm so stoked to finally give a greyhound a forever home. I hope my girl gives lots of love because that's what I definitely need right now. But, yes any advice would be much appreciated for me and also my boyfriend.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've put a lot of thought into it. Just be totally honest with the adoption group and let them point you towards dogs that best suit your lifestyle.

Sometimes the dog chooses you... my last one did and turned out to be one of those very rare 'heart dogs'. I picked my current one because she looked pretty and intelligently aloof hiding in the back of the kennels and walked nicely on the lead until she got back and decided to chew it because we were talking too long ;-) They are all SO different. Have fun!

Guest undergreysspell

Hi and welcome from a fellow Floridian! Have a wonderful time this weekend and try to keep an open mind because sometimes the dog chooses you and you fall in love immediately!

Guest BlueCrab

Greetings from Maryland! You've come to the right place for advice and you sound like you're doing your homework. I've learned a lot since I've been on this site!

Guest Scouts_mom

My advice is just to be open with the kennel folks about your lifestyle and don't go with many requirements for your dog. You might think you want a small girl, when a huge lummax of a boy will steal your heart. Finally, remember to be patient when you bring him or her home--this is a huge, frightening time for the grey and sometimes it takes time for their loving souls to emerge.

Hello from Sarasota!

Exciting times are in store for you... Enjoy the process.

I read everything I could about Greyhounds before we adopted Heisman, and I found the Cynthia Branigan book, "Adopting the Racing Greyhound," very helpful. http://www.amazon.com/Adopting-Racing-Greyhound-Cynthia-Branigan/dp/0764540866/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1365129282&sr=1-3&keywords=Adopting+a+retired+greyhound

Keep us posted, ok?

:gh_bow

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest WhiteWave

Welcome! Another Floridian here! Are you going to Greyhound Adoption Kennel in North Fort Myers? That is where one of mine came from. She gets some really awesome dogs! :)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi thanks for all the replies. I plan on being very patient and loving but not overwhelming as to smother my pet LOL. But yes WhiteWave, I am in fact going to the Greyhound ADoption Kennel you mentioned. I'm glad you noted it positively. I live in St. Pete the Tampa Bay area. I promise to post some pics ASAPossible.

Welcome to Greytalk! How exciting! Sounds like you're doing a great job preparing for your new Greyhound.

I agree re: communicating openly with the adoption rep. and keeping an open mind to find a Greyhound that fits your lifestyle and home situation. Greyhound personalities come in a wide range. A good temperament fit is most important. A Greyhound transitioning into a new home is the hound's biggest life change ever, so it's great that you understand that new dogs require patience. What you see during your "first meeting" is not what you will see after the hound has more time to develop a trusting bond with you. Your hound's personality will blossom over weeks, months and years.

Tuffy squeaky toys are excellent for Greyhounds. Tuffy's "Ultimate" series = toughness scale #9: http://www.entirelypets.com/tuffyringred.html

Dog toothbrush with "dog" toothpaste: http://www.entirelypets.com/ctokitfordo.html

If you have hard surface floors where your Greyhound needs to walk inside, cheap runner rugs made with rubber backing (or rubber gripper mats underneath runner rugs) are helpful. If you wait until your hound gets home, old rubber backed bath mats can help in a pinch.

I assume your collar is a nylon web "martingale." Martingale collar should be adjusted to fit snugly so you need to "work it" over the ears (when removing collar, rotate so hardware doesn't hit ears). If collar is too loose, hound can back-out of collar. I assume your crate is wire, minimum 42" long. Hopefully, your Branigan book is revised (my copy of that book is 1992).

Another excellent book: Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies, by Lee Livingood.

If interested in tips for your hound's first day home, I'll add a few more before she/he arrives.

Above all, have great fun meeting your new fur-baby! Whether girl or boy, both genders are wonderful. (We were set on a female first, but adopted an amazing male.) We'll look forward to your pictures. :)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi thanks again for the responses. And to 3greytjoys, yes I have the revised version of Branigan's book. Also I just ordered a few of those toys from the link you posted. About the collar I have, it is nylon material but I'll definitely check out the Martingale collars you mentioned. Also the crate used to be Drey's (my boyfriends former Grey) so it is black wire and definitel fitting for a greyhound. I also just ordered greyhounds for dummies because I have heard that this was a good book for beginners like myself. Also to let eveyone know..I was supposed to go pick out a hound today but the lady from the adoption kennel just shipped all 9 of her females to an adoption center in Ohio and Pennsylvania :( I was so looking forward to going today. However she assured me that she would have what I'm looking for within a few weeks. If I would have drove the two hours to get there, I would only have 4 to choose from. I was ready to get the show on the road so to speak LOL. So I guess I will be waiting probably another few weeks to pick out a hound. However as soon as I do I'll keep everyone on here posted. I guess for the next few weeks I'll keep studying (obsessing) about greyhounds even more than I already am. I hope everyone has a grey8 weekend heehee.

There are many greyhounds at Derby Lane in St Petersburg that need homes. Have you thought about contacting one of the adoption groups in St Pete or Tampa. I can think of 4 adoption groups in that area. You would be able to foster some greyhounds before you decide which one you would like to adopt. Your support group would also be closer. You could take your greyhound to meet and greets to socialize with other greyhounds.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi Yes Tallgreymom, I actually looked at ones in St. Pete and Tampa first. I only chose the ft myers kennel because the process sounded quicker and smoother. But now I might just go through one of the ones closer to me in Tampa Bay. I havn't made up my mind on what to do yet. But I also attended a meet and greet at a Petco pet store the other week and there were 10 greys there but they all had owner except 3 of them I think were up for adoption. Anyways I enjoyed the meet and greet thoroughly. One greyhound named Song (that of course had an owner) was soo sweet. In fact I'm gonna have to upload the pic of Song (she was white with gray-colored siwrly dots and gray face mask) from my cell phone up on here somehow. I'll figure it out LOL. But Song greeted me right away as soon as I walked in the group kind of like to say "Hi welcome to our bunch of greys and grey-lovers." :ghplaybow:beatheart:nod

I Love those icons wow. :ig

It may be slow going to start with with the adoption. But when you need them in a hurry they will be there for you. Groups usually have more personal greyhounds at meet and greets. They bring the greyhounds from the foster homes and adoption kennel as needed to meet a certain adopter. I would say their are probably at least 50 greyhounds in the foster homes and adoption kennel at Derby Lane. They bring a sampling of the greyhounds that are up for adoption.

You seem ready to Hug a Greyhound -

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Definitely read "Greyhounds for Dummies." I think it's a better book. Also, do more than check out a Martingale collar. Be prepared to buy one (or two or three... LOL), though your Grey will come with one on her. Martingale collars are not optional for Greyhounds if you'll be attaching the leash to a collar for walking. They are necessary. You'll read about them in all the reference material you access, including info on this site. I don't use a nylon web Martingale. I prefer those sold by one of the many vendors that cater to Greyhound stuff (specifically Crown Collars).

I'm sorry to hear about having to wait longer. I only had to wait a week to adopt Annie and I could barely sleep at night I was so excited. Good luck!

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi and yes I am sooo ready to hug a greyhound. At the meet and greet I met this funny girl named "Song" here she is. 2013_03_30_14_56_58.jpg

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Here is another picture of Song. Don't worry the owner let me take a picture. Don't you just love her coloring? She was the first grey to come greet me. Too bad she's taken right? Look at that faaaace! 2013_03_30_14_56_54.jpg

Love the freckles on her face. Looks like she wanted to squish her nose into your hand and give you some love. I volunteer with my group and my favorite thing is a M&G where we have 10 Greyhounds showing their stuff. Just hangin' with the houndies is satisfying.

Guest bethac

Hi Michelle - adopting your first hound is so exciting! I know you are getting lots of advice and it sounds like you are leaning toward a female. If you do end up visiting the group in north Ft. Myers, could you be on the lookout for a male named Santan Shockwave (Shock)? He is listed with that group and is the grandson of one of my hounds, Get Around Sue. I don't know him, but his sweet face reminds me of our Suze. He is healing up from a broken hock, according to the adoption info,and it says he is affectionate and sweet (just like grandma!). We also adopted one of Suze's daughters (Yahoo Miami), she would be his aunt, and she is also a sweetie.

Anyway, I wish you the very best of luck, whatever you decide. I could not pass up the opportunity to tell you about Shock, In case you might have the chance to meet him. Keep us posted on how things work out! :)

Guest sireltonsmom

Congrats on your decision! You will love your grey and will have lots of years of laughter and fun. Song is a good looking grey - they all are :-). As has been posted, there are many greyt groups in our Tampa Bay area (I'm from Sarasota and Heisman was my first foster grey). I have two (Sir Elton (14-1/3 and Mindy, 8-1/2). Glad your boyfriend has had a grey - he knows the various changes they go thru as they adjust to home living. Please be sure to put something visible (like painters tape) on any sliding glass doors and full length mirrors at your dog's eye level. They have a group here that is ready to graduate prison dogs that are trained by inmates in the basic commands. Sorry you have to wait longer. Keep us in the loop on what happens. Enjoy! :ghplaybow

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi Greyaholic. I See Shock on the Ft Myers Adoption Kennel website. He is just a dollface. I love the tan color. I feel like I am only leaning towards a female because that's what my boyfriend wants (He had a female and fears male retaliation peeing?). When I go there I know I'll fall in love with a male one too. I wish we could bring home 2 but 1 is enough for now and the size of our place. When we move into a house we want another grey and a german shepard. :) I wish we could have cats too but my boyfriend Mac is allergic. But I'll definitely ask about Shock. It says he is on a hold for Ohio on the website though. I don't know if he'll still be there when I go pick out a grey.

Check out a picture of this tan grey that was at the Petco meet and greet. I forgot his name but he was a little older and an attention hog. If you stopped petting Him He would look at you like this:

bdgk4.jpg

Guest bethac

Hi Greyaholic. I See Shock on the Ft Myers Adoption Kennel website. He is just a dollface. I love the tan color. I feel like I am only leaning towards a female because that's what my boyfriend wants (He had a female and fears male retaliation peeing?). When I go there I know I'll fall in love with a male one too. I wish we could bring home 2 but 1 is enough for now and the size of our place. When we move into a house we want another grey and a german shepard. :) I wish we could have cats too but my boyfriend Mac is allergic. But I'll definitely ask about Shock. It says he is on a hold for Ohio on the website though. I don't know if he'll still be there when I go pick out a grey.

Check out a picture of this tan grey that was at the Petco meet and greet. I forgot his name but he was a little older and an attention hog. If you stopped petting Him He would look at you like this:

bdgk4.jpg

Awwww, you looked up Shock on their website! I see that note too about him being on hold for Ohio. I am in Ohio!! I wonder what group is getting him? If you get to meet him or hear any more about him, I would love to know. Again, best of luck to you adopting your first greyhound! :)