Hi From Florida...please Read (About Adopting This Weekend)

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Hi again. I'll be the only one in the car tomorrow and the trip back with Dominica will be two hours. IM placing a blanket in the back seat. I'll bring water of course and milk bones. I'll try to keep her calm the best I can while driving. I hope she isn't toI scared. I plan on stopping for a potty break for her because I assume shell need it. IM honestly a little bit nervous about the trip.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be OK. Don't expect her to be scared. Remember, racing Greyhounds are used to being hauled from track to track. As far as she knows, she's going to another kennel. Chances are she'll settle down and sleep the whole trip. Unless she gives a strong indication she has to pee, I wouldn't stop for a potty break. It's only 2 hours. Someone else will know how many, but it's many hours between potty breaks at the track; 2 hours is nothing.

Don't worry if she refuses to drink. Again, it's only 2 hours and some dogs don't like to drink when in a strange environment (my Annie is one of them). Even when home, my girl goes for hours without drinking. I'd go lightly with treats. To repeat myself, it's only 2 hours, she won't starve, and you don't know if the new situation will make her stomach unsettled.

Before leaving, find out when she most recently ate, pee'd and poo'd and take it from there.

A blanket is good. Maybe a stuffie also. Don't worry. It will be OK.

Edited by Feisty49

It'll be OK. Don't expect her to be scared. Remember, racing Greyhounds are used to being hauled from track to track. As far as she knows, she's going to another kennel. Chances are she'll settle down and sleep the whole trip. Unless she gives a strong indication she has to pee, I wouldn't stop for a potty break. It's only 2 hours. Someone else will know how many, but it's many hours between potty breaks at the track; 2 hours is nothing.

Don't worry if she refuses to drink. Again, it's only 2 hours and some dogs don't like to drink when in a strange environment (my Annie is one of them). Even when home, my girl goes for hours without drinking. I'd go lightly with treats. To repeat myself, it's only 2 hours, she won't starve, and you don't know if the new situation will make her stomach unsettled.

Before leaving, find out when she most recently ate, pee'd and poo'd and take it from there.

A blanket is good. Maybe a stuffie also. Don't worry. It will be OK.

I'd make sure she peed before you left, put her in the car with a blanket and a stuffie and just drive straight home.

My dogs all had to do a 5 hour drive to get here, and we only stopped to get human food. We did not let them out to pee.

They pretty much slept the entire trip.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Thanks for the trip advice and tallgreymom for the to about registering Dominica to a Tampa group. My next post here will be doms

little intro with pics :)

Congratulations on your decision! :) As promised, here are tips for early days in your new girl's home:
Cats: Be extra careful introducing new hound to a cat. Muzzle hound longer than you think you need to around cat, and keep dog leashed to you, in crate or dog-proofed room for as long as it takes to ensure cat's safety. Don't leave dog and cat alone together! Baby-gate installed about 5"-6" above floor level will help give cat an escape route long-term. Above all, remember Greyhounds are faster than cats!
House Training: We take newly retired hounds outside to eliminate approx. every 2 hours during day (awake time) on first day home. Second day extend between 2-3 hours. The first few days are most important for house training. Watch hound constantly during first few days whenever hound is not in crate. They learn house training best by not allowing too much house freedom too soon. Take hound outside upon awakening, and within 10 minutes after meals, and periodically throughout day, especially after naps. Praise happily for good business! Just in case of accident, "Petastic" or another pet solution helps. Greyhounds are very sensitive. Please don't punish. If you "catch" dog having an accident, quickly and gently guide the dog outside. (Watch for dog sniffing floor or circling. Greys don't know how to "ask" to be let outside. Humans' responsibility to provide consistent, well-timed potty schedule. New food/new home = more frequent outings needed. Dog might not potty during every 2 hour outing, it still helps to teach appropriate potty location.)
Alone Training: Assuming you work during the week, alone training from the beginning is important. Soon after dog has done business, plan to leave house for short periods (less than 5 minutes at first) leaving dog crated inside your house (or dog-safe confined room). Graduate time as needed so dog begins to feel assured human/s will return.
Temperature Sensitivity: Greyhounds are very heat (and cold) sensitive. Please schedule walks only in coolest morning temperatures (best) or late evening in Florida. Paw pads burn on hot pavement (pavement retains heat even after sun goes down). Feel pavement temperature with hand if questionable. New hounds often need to build up walking time gradually to allow paw pads to toughen over time. Their physical endurance is low at first too. (Same temperature considerations for car rides. Inside car temps reach dangerous levels in only a few minutes. If in doubt, please leave dog at home.)
Leash: I agree with other poster. Place leash handle on wrist and wrap leash a few times around wrist and/or hand so leash isn't dropped by mistake. Important: Hold excess leash with BOTH hands to keep yourself balanced and to keep dog under control. Stay alert while walking any dog, otherwise dog might see something to chase before you do! Also, ensure martingale collar is snug enough to not slide over hound's narrow head. Collar should need to be "worked" over head to get it off. (Test for fit just behind ears.)

Helps if name sounds different from another animal in family = communication clarity for both animals. Many Greyhounds arrive into adoption groups without knowing any name. If previous "call name" is known, I spend a week or two using a double name: "call name+new name", then drop old call name. They learn quickly.

Considering your boyfriend's strong thoughts re: gender (i.e., keeping peace at home), glad you decided on a girl. Every Greyhound is an individual regardless of gender and both genders can blossom with affection when they trust their humans. All our girls (including fosters) have blossomed into loving companions, as have boys. Have fun with your new girl! :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Ladies, gents,and hounds (LOL) I present Ms. Dominica. I wanna take more pix but this is the first shot I got of her in her lovely crate. She has been here since Saturday and I could not be happier! She is very well behaved & affectionate so far. domfirstpic.jpg

:yay congrats!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Navem

Hello! I am in Titusville, Florida and am also getting my first Grey tomorrow! I have never owned a Greyhound before, but I have had a Borzoi and an Irish Wolfhound. Both of which I loved and enjoyed so much! Sight hounds are wonderful dogs! I am however, a little nervous. I have so much differing advice on what to feed and how to feed Greyhounds, and sensitive tummy issues. My new Greyhound is a retired racer and is 3yrs old. He will be joining a very active household, complete with a Cane Corso and Chinese Cresteds. Does anyone have any advice for me as to how to help him settle in? Are they really much different from the Borzois? The person I am adopting from has told me everything will be fine, but I am still nervous. I will post pics as well, once I get him. Congrats to you Michelle!! She is a gorgeous hound!

Edited by Navem

Guest mischaluvsgreys

Navem, I too am a first greyhound owner. In fact this is my first dog ever. I was nervous too in fact I still am. I've only had Dominica for a few days but I'm sooo happy. So far the only "bad" things she's done are stealing sponges from the bathroom and my sock once. LOL. It's ok because I just took the items back and gave her her own toys to play with. Thank you all for the lovely compliments. Dominica is just what I was hoping for...affection! :) For some reason I'm craving a lot of affection right now.

Navem, I too am a first greyhound owner. In fact this is my first dog ever. I was nervous too in fact I still am. I've only had Dominica for a few days but I'm sooo happy. So far the only "bad" things she's done are stealing sponges from the bathroom and my sock once. LOL. It's ok because I just took the items back and gave her her own toys to play with. Thank you all for the lovely compliments. Dominica is just what I was hoping for...affection! :) For some reason I'm craving a lot of affection right now.

Love it when they "borrow" something. When I go out I deliberately leave a couple of things around so Annie can steal and hoard on her bed. Socks and mittens are her favorite things.

Just a caution, a Greyhound died from a blockage from ingesting one ladies sock (snagged from the laundry basket)! Every Greyhound is very different - some hounds are only collectors, but many, many more are ingesters of items (chewed up or whole), especially if the hound becomes bored. (Hounds are also notorious for chewing up and ingesting tennis balls, and soft squeaky toys.)

OP, as you are already doing, please be careful to leave only dog safe toys (like Kong or Tuffie toys) when your girl is left unsupervised. BTW, Greyhounds are master paper shredders - keep important checks, mail, documents, etc. out of their reach. ;)

Just a caution, a Greyhound died from a blockage from ingesting one ladies sock (snagged from the laundry basket)! Every Greyhound is very different - some hounds are only collectors, but many, many more are ingesters of items (chewed up or whole), especially if the hound becomes bored. (Hounds are also notorious for chewing up and ingesting tennis balls, and soft squeaky toys.)

OP, as you are already doing, please be careful to leave only dog safe toys (like Kong or Tuffie toys) when your girl is left unsupervised. BTW, Greyhounds are master paper shredders - keep important checks, mail, documents, etc. out of their reach. ;)

Please don't let your hound 'play' with socks, undies or anything that has 'stuffing' in it.

Even some actual dog toys are not safe for some aggressive chewers.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg