Getting More Difficult To Rise

Over the past couple of weeks we have noticed Kasey, 10, become more hesitant about jumping up the stairs from the basement to the main level (he does a flight in 3 bounds). We live in a bungalow and do not really have any need for him to go down there, however he likes to be with us if we are in the basement. This was the first sign.

Over the past couple of days, he slowly gets up off his bed, not with a major struggle I'd say, but with an evident slow and effortful rise out of his shaking hind end.

Last night he decided to move from his bed in the bedroom to the living room for a portion of the night - not unusual. However, he wanted to come up to sleep with me around 3 am. I was alerted to the sound of his paw scraping the laminate - an indication to me that he wasn't able to really get a grip anywhere to push himself up. When I got up to go help, (I usually just put my foot close to his foot so he has something to push off of and he's able to get up), he was already up. I invited him up on the bed, and he jumped up after hesitating, and he didn't fully clear the edge of the bed as gracefully as usual. He's losing his gracefulness when requiring power from his hind legs.

These small signs are starting to make me wary of his hind end getting weak. Once he's up and standing he's fine, his legs don't fall out from under him, it just seems like jumping up takes effort, and getting up from a crunched lying position is just the same.

What is this? What can I do to ease him into a better state of seniorhood? Is it arthritis, joint or muscle related?

Thoughts are appreciated. He'll be going in for his annual medical next month.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Not knowing if something specific is going on, what has helped my 12.5 yr old girl greyhound is Fresh Factors from

Springtimeinc.com.

I read a lot of reviews of this product here on GT ( search for fresh factors or joint health chewables) first and I LOVE them.

She had/ has back end weakness but most noted when trying to go up the stairs that she never had trouble with before. She has no trouble now after being on the supplement for a month ( started working quickly).

I can only speak of my experience, but without a diagnosis of anything joint/ pain/ arthritis specific, this stuff works.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Fletcher started having trouble getting up about a year ago (he just turned 11 in March). He has had arthritis for several years, gradually getting worse, so we have just assumed the arthritis had moved into his back end. What has really helped him is acupuncture and the Chinese herbs he gets from his acupuncture vet. A general pain med (Body Sore) and a specific for hindquarter weakness. He has been on NSAIDs and joint supplements for several years, this is in addition. He actually got to the point of being able to jump on my bed again!

Do you give him any joint supplements? If not, it is probably a good time to start.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I wouldn't wait another month to see the vet. I'd go sooner. Thinking good thoughts for Kasey.

:nod A month is a long time to be struggling, and he could hurt himself (strain something) by the effort and make it worse.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I will be blunt because I believe very strongly about this. FRESH FACTORS. At least try a bottle so you can see for yourself. They're like miracle drugs for what you describe. The Advanced Hip&Joint tabs would help too especially in combination with Fresh Factors. But I kid you not I have seen some miraculous things result from Fresh Factors. BTW the Advanced Hip & Joint tabs are hard and usually need to be broken into smaller pieces for them. The Fresh Factors are rather soft and have been loved and gobbled up by all the MANY dogs I have used them on. Also consider Duralactin-also very effective. And to tell you the truth Traumeel is very effective to. And DGP pills are good as well. Hope you hit on the thing or things that helps him to feel a lot better soon. My 13 yoa gets several of these and still enjoys running-fast and often. In my experience what you are describing is not uncommon as they age. I have found they respond very well to the above and accupuncture etc. I personally(but thats just me) would never put them on regular NSAID's as I feel there are bad side effects but I have used some sporatically and rarely as required. But I find they are rarely if ever required anyway with these other treatments and the accupuncture and homeopathics etc. If you can get some hypericum and arnica that would help too.Yucca BTW is also very effective. You've just got to find the thing that works best for him with the least if any side effects.

So second mention of Fresh Factors. We currently give him Green Lipped Mussel but only occassionally. He has an allergy to Kelp and GLM is shellfish related so in a stretch that could cause him to breakout.

I called them to ask about shipping, It's $25 to send 2 small bottles here. Will think about it and potentially order this weekend. Fresh Factors contains Kelp. I'm hesitant, but I think I'll give it a go.

A recent turn of events involving his allergies, we started feeding raw chicken (he's allergic to chicken). For the most part, no serious allergy outbreak. I can only hope it'll be the same for kelp.

Proudly owned by:

Chiropractic work really helped our Nube -- maybe you could try that. He also got glucosamine, chrondroitin and MSM from Greyhound Gang.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 1 month later...

To update this thread. I have, since posting this thread, started using Fresh Factors. I've seen mild improvement, and I'm pleased to say he hasn't gotten worse.

We went to the vet yesterday for their annual checkup. Not only has Kasey put on more weight, but his bloodwork has come back better than last year too. :thumbs-up With that said, the vet suspects that he's just starting to show signs of arthritis/joint disease. She is happy to prescribe, based on his liver levels, a non steroidal med to make him more comfortable. I asked for a list of what she would suggest based on pricing. She did mention he would be on an incredibly low dose.

She suggested metacam (which I think is probably too heavy for his needs right now?) or even Deremax? I have no idea about joint drugs..... however, I ordered another batch of Fresh Factors as well as trying Joint Health (which contains MSM, condroitin, etc.). The vet (and the sales person for the supplements) both agreed that is something that should assist him.

So thoughts on providing him with supplements vs. meds? I know what I just paid for my order of supplements, but they of course have yet to cross the border and will have duty applied. So....is it a cost thing....a making him feel comfortable thing....

I'm looking for suggestions and ideas.

Thanks!

Proudly owned by:

Personally, I would only start a medication when the dog is clearly in pain and uncomfortable. It is normal to get a little stiff and sore with age, so I guess only you can tell what kind of pain he's in. It also depends on the med the vet is prescribing and the side effects of that.

I went through this with my last dog and after trying several supplements I really had success with Naka "Nutri-Flex" which is a liquid joint supplement for humans. You can find it in almost any health store. It has glucosamine sulfate, MSM, gelatin, turmeric, devil's claw, and bromelain. That with high doses of fish oil made a definite difference for our dog, although nothing will "cure" arthritis of course.

http://www.nakaherbs.com/pdf/nutri_flex_liquid.pdf

Another supplement to consider adding is Grizzly Salmon Oil. I started Robin on it last year, at a time when I had run out of his glucosamine, msm, and chondroitin supplements and was about to order more. (I had run out and money was tight, so he had been off of them for over a month, sadly.) I was impressed to note that the salmon oil alone showed as much improvement as the supplements had! It was an obvious difference. Needless to say, he's on both now.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Sounds like we'll give the joint health a try first and see how it goes. I'd like him to stay off meds as long as possible as well. He's been doing phenomenal lately regarding his allergies....I barely have to dose him with pred anymore! And what 10 year old IMPROVES (as far as the bloodwork and weight gain is concerned) as they get older?!?!?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Sounds like we'll give the joint health a try first and see how it goes. I'd like him to stay off meds as long as possible as well. He's been doing phenomenal lately regarding his allergies....I barely have to dose him with pred anymore! And what 10 year old IMPROVES (as far as the bloodwork and weight gain is concerned) as they get older?!?!?

ANOTHER miraculous response to Fresh Factors lol. I have honestly seen and heard of so many! There is something mysteriously effective about them.

Re: your question. I frankly am scared of the side effects of the NSAID's. I have had remarkable success treating my many oldsters with a combination of safer alternatives including accupuncture under my holistic vets guidance. For instance Momma gets DURALACTIN (wonderful, really works, safe anti-inflammatory); DGP pills; Springtime's Advanced Hip & Joint Chewables(because the advanced version has a powerful pain reliever bosweillia in them) and Longevity-all twice a day. The Advanced chewables are hard for her to chew so I break them up into little pieces along with the other tabs, mix with some lttle pieces of liver treats I cut up and she eats them out of my hand.

She also gets treated with Traumeel, arnica, and hypericum (professional strength from the vet) on occassions when she needs more. If all that fails I will break down and give her a half a robaxin or a half of a tramadol on those occassions. My first broodie Aggie did well on the same non-rx natural and homeopathic protocol despite having kidney disease which ruled out the rx NSAID's anyway. She is the only hound to have repeated as "Queen" and oldest hound at the Bluegrass Festival of the Greyhound two years in a row. Although she didn't get released for adoption until she was 11 she gave me 3 1/2 blessed beautiful years and was 14 1/2 when she crossed. For me the cost IMO is cheaper for the non-rx products than for the prescription products-especially if you consider they could save you from having to deal with other issues (like having to give Pepcid for stomach issues etc.) that often occur when the prescription prods are relied on instead. JMO.

I'm sorry to hear that Kasey is having some issues, poor baby, but very glad that he's improving!

Racindog, would you give Fresh Factors to an adult dog (8 yo) with no symptoms? (she "clicks" going up stairs, is all, and has since I got her at 5 yo) As a preventive type of thing? I would love to preserve her joint health for as long as possible. Or would you recommend something else?

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I am glad to hear the Fresh Factors helped. I would stick with the supplements as long as he is not in pain. I have found (both for Fletcher and myself) that adding bosweillia really makes a difference. I give all my dogs Fresh Factors, starting at about age 7-8, even if they don't have symptoms, I feel it is a preventative, and so far the girls (9 & 11) are fine.

I'm sorry to hear that Kasey is having some issues, poor baby, but very glad that he's improving!

Racindog, would you give Fresh Factors to an adult dog (8 yo) with no symptoms? (she "clicks" going up stairs, is all, and has since I got her at 5 yo) As a preventive type of thing? I would love to preserve her joint health for as long as possible. Or would you recommend something else?

When I first started using them and observed how "miraculous" they were I decided right then and there to give them to all my dogs. In fact you will see improvement even in young healthy dogs. Main thing I notice is brighter eyes and better overall health(coat, immune system, etc) and attitude. They really are unbelieveable. And yes they will help preserve her joint health. They among other things help the joints create the lubricating fluid and I think even make more cartiladge which is one of the mechanisms that enables them to be so good at pain relief. Just try them and you can see for yourself.

I am glad to hear the Fresh Factors helped. I would stick with the supplements as long as he is not in pain. I have found (both for Fletcher and myself) that adding bosweillia really makes a difference. I give all my dogs Fresh Factors, starting at about age 7-8, even if they don't have symptoms, I feel it is a preventative, and so far the girls (9 & 11) are fine.

When I first started using them and observed how "miraculous" they were I decided right then and there to give them to all my dogs. In fact you will see improvement even in young healthy dogs. Main thing I notice is brighter eyes and better overall health(coat, immune system, etc) and attitude. They really are unbelieveable. And yes they will help preserve her joint health. They among other things help the joints create the lubricating fluid and I think even make more cartiladge which is one of the mechanisms that enables them to be so good at pain relief. Just try them and you can see for yourself.

Great, thank you!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Awesome all thanks so much.

The added benefit for Ryder - at the age of 5 who has had some on and off limping in the past - we're also giving this to him as well, in addition to chiro - he gets what his brudder gets.

After seeing the results from Fresh Factors, I really feel there is nothing to lose by starting any dog on it. I'm excited to try the joint health ones and will report back after he's had them for a month as well.

Re: Longevity. I spoke to the sales lady, and she said everything that is in that, is in Fresh Factors (and a bit in joint health) so I didn't see the need of dosing with that in addition to the FF and JH.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Guest oakley

Sorry to hear about Kasey struggling a little, personally, if her liver is good i would get her on to a small regular dose of metacam, you will be amazed by the result. Enjoy her later years with usual zip and comfort rather than the struggle. it has never hurt mine and been a tonic without repurcussion. Sometimes we put these earlier help off, then time has passed and a couple of last zippy years can mean a lot before heavy drugs are needed :)

thank you for your post ... I tried Fresh Factors a few years ago, but my little boy Riley used to spit them out. He's now almost 10yo, and he's starting to slip & slide as he does his zoomies around the livingroom. Sooo ... I just placed an order for some more tablets in the hopes that I can keep him from hurting himself and I can keep him well for many more years.

thanks!!

Guest dexter

if it is arthritis, i have used the human drug meloxicam with very good results, and i get 100 tablets for 12.00 at the local walmart pharmacy, the pills are cut in half , 200 doses. they have side effects, however i prefer quality of life. good luck, hope you find something that helps

thank you for your post ... I tried Fresh Factors a few years ago, but my little boy Riley used to spit them out. He's now almost 10yo, and he's starting to slip & slide as he does his zoomies around the livingroom. Sooo ... I just placed an order for some more tablets in the hopes that I can keep him from hurting himself and I can keep him well for many more years.

thanks!!

I break them up and put them in their food, but lately I give it to them whole as a treat. Picky Kasey eats it much to my surprise.....Ryder...I swear he swallows them whole. They have to work for them though. ;)

So far so good. Kasey's attitude has been better - I'm not sure if I can thank these supplements for that, but who knows.... He's even getting a hairy belly to match his hairy bum. The hair growth really is incredible.

Proudly owned by:

I am a firm believer in FF and JHC as well. But I wanted to throw something else out there. Have you considered acupuncture and/or physical therapy? Mandy had acupuncture for almost 8 years (she had terrible corns on all her feet, which caused her to walk funny and have back spasms). As she got older, her hind end got very weak and the acupuncturist modified his approach slightly to help. He also did laser treatments. We normally went every 4 weeks and I could tell if we stretched it past 6 weeks, she would have major trouble getting up and would be super-stiff. For the last 18 months of her life, we saw a veterinary physical therapist. She showed me simple exercises to do to keep things moving. She also showed me how to effectively use cold packs and a TENS unit (which I already had for my physical issues). It made a difference and I think that between both types of treatment, I was blessed with at least an extra year with her. One other supplement with which I've been pleased is Vibrant Pets Canine Athlete.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.