Anyone Use Sugar On A Wound?

My new foster degloved his lower leg by sliding off the edge of a deck two weeks ago. He got 70 stitches to put it back together. His owner had died, and the woman caring for him misunderstood the directions regarding checking the wound and changing the bandage. I picked him up on Sunday and took him to my vet on Monday. The wound was a bloody oozing mess. The vet wants me to change the bandage daily and use sugar on the wound. I read up on this, and it sounds like it should work. It works on people! Anyone ever try it? Did it work?

I love sugar bandages, but I usually use honey because it is less messy. Has to be unpasteurized honey. Sugar/honey bandages are high maintenance though. They produce a lot of fluid and therefore you are more likely to get strike through (wetness soaking through all layers).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Yep, I have done - I used icing sugar (all I had) on a huge graze my son had once that wouldn't heal but kept oozing. Dried up overnight. The sugar works by pulling moisture out of the tissue and at the same time not allowing bacteria to grow.

Manuka honey is way better though. You need medical grade ideally, but really, any high UMF factor Manuka Honey will do at a pinch for superficial wounds. Spread it onto the wound and bandage with a non-stick dressing. You can leave it on for a couple of days actually, but I usually change it daily. I've been very impressed with the results.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest WhiteWave

I use sugar a lot. Casper had a deep cut on his leg and it got infected a couple weeks ago. I use my old standby- suger, betadine and bag balm (or vaseline)- mix together and packed in the wound, cover with gauze and vet wrap. After one treatment- the oozing stopped and the tissue looked pink again.

I read about the combo years ago in a health magazine and have used it on some pretty nasty wounds and they all healed up quickly.

Uh- I had no idea! Very cool. (the honey yes, but not sugar)

According to my mother, who was a nurse at the time (and until she retired) sugar used to be used a lot in WW2 for combat wounds. It was cheap, and while rationed, was fairly easily available. Might even have been exempted from rationing for medical purposes.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

We used sugar right up to the 70's and then it fell out of favour. In the last couple of years I have been seeing a lot of use of Medi-Honey on humans. it is being prescribed by physicians, enterostomal therapists and chiropodists mainly for ulcers with infection. It does seems to induce a lot of drainage initially but as the infection clears, the drainage decreases.

BTW, we advise our human patients to ensure they get protein at every meal and supplement with zinc and vit C to promote wound healing. Would love to know the vet perspective on this as it applies to hound healing.

Guest Lgyure85

Glad I saw this! Maddie got a big tear on her chest from running through over-growth in our backyard. I put gauze with Bactine on it and wrapped it with Coban, but I'll be making this concoction tomorrow (after taking her to the vet to check the half-dollar sized hematoma she also got). Natural selectio is just not kind to the Greyhound! (Fast dogs with small brains and paper-thin skin!)

Have used regular table sugar and it works very well.

I have used raw honey too and it also does a great job.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest artemiss

Yes! Actually our vet uses white Karo and we used plain ol' clover honey when Ezri had a gaping gash that wouldn't stay stiched. it healed with barely a scar. After that I stopped using neosporin on myself and started using honey. Good stuff.