Treatment For Iker's Scar, Advice Please

Iker has a large scar around his neck. This is his first North American winter and it is becoming red and flaky. Can anybody recommended treatment? Would vitamin E or something like that help?

Thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'd think most any moisturizer that absorbs well and that he doesn't mind the scent of? Let him sniff it first. (I was going to just say "Bag Balm" but I have had one dog who HATED the smell!)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Maybe bag balm? It was developed for cow's udders that were chapped by cold, winter winds...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm just guessing here, but here are the things I would try -- heal the skin and the fur will follow -- some of these might require a trip to a health food store.

Topical treatments:

Comfrey salve

Calendula salve or lotion

Manuka honey (you'd need to bandage for this one -- it is sticky and tasty)

Or/and, add to food -- fish (sardine or cold water salmon) oil.

A naturopathic or holistic vet may have more ideas if you have one in your area.

Iker is so handsome, it hurts that this reminder still shows on his neck.

I was thinking bag balm, or even vaseline would help. Those are pretty thick and may help moisten the skin so it's not so dry. Since it's on his neck he shouldn't be able to reach it to lick it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'd use coconut oil (if you have a Trader Joe's, theirs is great!). I can only buy the refined type here at my local stores, and while that's okay for cooking, it doesn't work quite as well for skin, etc.

I ordered Nutiva brand online and was very happy with it too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

His scar is healed, isn't it? I also would try bag balm. Something I use on my hands in the winter is Carmex Original Healing Ointment. It comes in a jar (size 4 ounces) and works wonders on cracked, chaped skin. The ingredients are petrolatum, lanolin, beeswax, cetyl esters, mineral oil, cocoa butter, fragrance, camphor, menthol, salicylic acid and vanilin. It says it hasn't been tested on animals, but I think it would be safe from licking because of the location. Good luck. Give Iker a hug and kiss for me. I just love that boy. :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

I think vitamin e or emu oil would be good. I'm a dog walker, so I'm out in the cold all winter and don't often wear gloves because they make my job harder. I use badger balm on my hands and it's fantastic. They also make a lip gloss, that would probably work well on his scar if you're worried about licking.

Thanks, all. I bought Bag Balm. He loved having it applied. He's so strange :beatheart

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks, all. I bought Bag Balm. He loved having it applied. He's so strange :beatheart

:thumbs-up

Bag Balm is a staple here, both in the house and barn.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Pinky always loved it when I massaged Bag Balm into her paw pads and put her pink baby socks on her feet :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--