Eyelid Mass On A Geriatric Dog

Guest BooMooandDoo

Guest BooMooandDoo

Tucker is somewhere between 14 and 15 and has a marble sized mass on his lower eyelid. I've always said that I wouldn't put him through any surgeries or big procedures due to his advanced age. . .but the eye mass has started bleeding regularly. . plus it looks like it hurts. He's slow, I think he's going blind, but otherwise is as happy as a grumpy old dog can be. He goes on daily walks around the block, never has accidents in the house, eats like a horse, and can get on and off furniture on his own accord. If you didn't know he was so old, you'd probably think he was around 12 :lol What would you do? I have an appointment for the opthamologist at the end of the month, so I have a couple weeks to make my decision.

tuckereyebump_zpse0e124fd.jpg

tuckereyebump3_zps64760e6a.jpg

tuckereyebump2_zps5a271abc.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BooMooandDoo

I'd say about a year and 1/2. It started as what looked to be a sty. It's only grown this large in the last 3-4 months.

Poor Tucker! My parents' vizsla had a similar growth when he was around 13. It was a bit smaller and was removed by a regular vet. The surgery basically cut a V in his lower eyelid to remove the tumor and sewed the two ends back together. He healed very well. Since Tucker's tumor is bigger, it might be harder to remove & still have enough skin to close up.

I understand your reluctance to put him through a procedure at his age, but I would definitely consider removing it just to remove the source of pain.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

If he's in good health I don't see why you wouldn't pursue the surgery. It becomes a quality of life issue-if he's uncomfortable it needs to be corrected. I'm sure your vet will take all of the neccassary precautions-pre-op blood work, chest rads, EKG....

One thing I'll mention-hopefully your vet will run IV fluids during and post surgery-the fluids really help these oldies bounce back a bit quicker.

The late John E has a mass like that on his eyelid. In fact he had two. They were cancer. Our regular vet removed them, but was not able to get clean margins. It didn't matter as he eventually died from something else. I think your dog might be very uncomfortable and for that reason, alone, you might want to consider the surgery, and, sooner.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Is that not whats commonly called 'cherry eye'? Its common in Cocker Spaniels.

It doesn't look like cherry eye. Cherry eye is a swelling in the nictating membrane of the eye. This looks like a "foreign" growth -- especially in the second photograph. I don't think I've ever seen cherry eye in a greyhound.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My galgo, Cruz, had a lower eyelid cyst (smaller) that looked like that. Has your vet said what kind of cyst it is? My vet said Cruz's was a meibomian cyst or chalazion that was caused by the oil glands in his lid getting plugged with hardened secretions. He recommended surgery, but after reading up on it, I decided to try an alternative treatment first. Humans get them too, BTW. Anyway, I used hot compresses on it (Cruz was really good about letting me do it) and it would shrink down and sometimes go completely away. But without the compresses it would plug back up and swell again.

Tucker's looks very uncomfortable. :( The opthalmologist can advise you about what it is and how it can best be treated.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6195753_treatments-meibomian-cyst-dogs_.html

http://www.wiki-pet.com/health/dog/condition/index.php?condition_id=110&name=sties+and+chalazions

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Poor Tucker! My parents' vizsla had a similar growth when he was around 13. It was a bit smaller and was removed by a regular vet. The surgery basically cut a V in his lower eyelid to remove the tumor and sewed the two ends back together. He healed very well. Since Tucker's tumor is bigger, it might be harder to remove & still have enough skin to close up.

I understand your reluctance to put him through a procedure at his age, but I would definitely consider removing it just to remove the source of pain.

Toby had a similar one on his upper eyelid, but not as big as Tucker's. I showed it to the vet last fall and she recommended just waiting til he was due for his dental, and that way while she had him knocked out, she'd do his eye too. Just as Sahara's mom said, they cut a v in his upper eyelid, removed the bump and sewed it back together. She did a great job. You can't even tell he ever had his eyelid cut now. I don't remember what she called the bump, but she said they are almost always harmless. Toby's was slowly getting bigger so I felt I had to have it removed....

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

That would be a very simple surgery and I think to NOT have it removed would be, well, I don't mean to be mean or rude, unkind. Can you imagine how that feels??

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest bernadette

OP did say that it looks like it hurts, although the appointment isn't until the end of the month. Any chance of getting in sooner? My own eye hurts thinking about the poor thing. If he acts younger now, imagine when he feels 100% again after having this thing removed! Keep us posted!

Guest BooMooandDoo

I would love to change the date, but this was the first that the opthamologist could see him. My vet won't remove it. He said it's too big for him to feel comfortable taking it off and he would have to put him totally under. He thinks the eye doctor may be able to do it with a local or light anesthesia.

That would be a very simple surgery and I think to NOT have it removed would be, well, I don't mean to be mean or rude, unkind. Can you imagine how that feels??

I understand that. . but if I'm 100 years old and have a growth on my face that doesn't effect my life other than being a little uncomforable, I would hope that someone wouldn't put me through a major surgery to take it off. He's on three pain meds already for arthritis and such, and is mostly blind, so I know he's not in pain . . .I wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't bleeding off and on.

Edited by BooMooandDoo

BooMooandDoo,

My 14 yr old golden retriever has one exactly like this, we have been advised just what you have said.

I wash it with warm water and leave it be.

My dear ol fella IS blind, and deaf.

He is not in pain.. a big ol tail wagger.

Guest BooMooandDoo

BooMooandDoo,

My 14 yr old golden retriever has one exactly like this, we have been advised just what you have said.

I wash it with warm water and leave it be.

My dear ol fella IS blind, and deaf.

He is not in pain.. a big ol tail wagger.

Thanks for the reassurance. I just don't want the last weeks/months/year of his life to be interrupted by putting him under to take off a growth that isn't going to extend his life any. . . or improve his quality of life. . . .and may just take time off of it.

Guest bernadette

Sorry OP... You said on original post that it looks like it hurts so I assumed you thought it may be painful.

Best wishes.

Something can look like it hurts, and actually hurt.. and other times the shock value and being out of place can make something appear like it must hurt, while actually causing no pain.

Thats how it is with our ol guy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BooMooandDoo

So tucker is going under the knife tomorrow. Prayers needed. Any doubts I had about this were erased today when his growth "sprung a leak" today. Good thing I made that appt a month ago.

I'll be thinking of you and Tucker today. My Tori had to get 2 small masses on her eyelids removed last month and while she was under I had the vet perform what will be her last dental. She is 13 and quite healthy, but the old ones are always a worry when it comes to stuff like this.

I'm sure Tucker will be much happier without that icky thing there, especiall if it's leaking!

Please keep us posted on how he's doing :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)