Good Thoughts For Robin Please....

I hope Robin's dental goes well and he is soon back to enjoying his meals.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm the one who said ice cream, but I usually don't offer it until at least the day after, in case they're sensitive to cold.

Hope Robin is peacefully zoning out on a comfy bed.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

He is happily oblivious of the hellish day to come, contentedly snuggling on my bed.

I am mostly not freaking out. And I have supplies to last several days, as I am assuming he won't want or be able to have anything for the first day or so.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

sending prayers for your boy!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Glad there were no accesses! Sallie came home with some pain meds after her dental, she lost 22 teeth including all of her upper molars and one fang. She took the pain meds in pill pockets just fine, and wanted dinner that same night. Just depends on the dog, but the first 12-24 hrs are the hardest, I think mainly from the anesthetic.

So my boy is home. The vet said he did AMAZING. The four teeth he pulled were the bottom four in the very front--the tiny ones. It looks slightly ridiculous....but he didn't lose any teeth that are important to chewing, so I consider that great. Also, the rest of his teeth looked really good--no signs of any issues, not even on the broken ones. They are just chipped, not broken, so he got to keep them!

He's okay, but very anxious and panty, and he keeps getting up to follow me everywhere, when I just want him to settle and relax. He's finally starting to calm down now. His hind end is sinking a lot as well, and he's still a little wobbly. He really needs to "sleep it off". If I could just get him to settle and sleep. All you people who say the dog came home and crashed completely are lucky!

He had his meloxicam at 7:00, and hopefully that is helping. He also ate some. A nice greyhound friend brought him shredded rotisserie chicken, which I hadn't thought of, and he is LOVING it. I gave him a little bit of that, and that kick-started the appetite, so he ate some dog food.

Whew...I was a little worried earlier when he wouldn't settle and insisted on wandering the house like a drunken college student, but even as I have been typing, he has calmed with some medicine and some food in his belly. Hopefully he will fall asleep soon. His head is drooping. :)

Here he is eagerly awaiting another piece of rotisserie chicken. Boy, did he perk up for that!!!!!

2013-03-05_19-53-22_516_zps88371f6a.jpg

2013-03-05_19-53-39_624_zps611a8c37.jpg

His little tongue is sticking out a bit in the front. I wonder if that will be permanent? There are no teeth on the bottom to hold it in now.... lol....it's super cute, though.

Guest cwholsin

He is happily oblivious of the hellish day to come, contentedly snuggling on my bed.

I am mostly not freaking out. And I have supplies to last several days, as I am assuming he won't want or be able to have anything for the first day or so.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

We just had our old dude in for a dental today which included an extraction (first one we've ever had to deal with). He had a canine taken out and was easily able to eat a 1/2 portion of softened kibbles. If your buddy has a chewing tooth taken out it may be harder to eat. The dentist gives a nerve number afterwards so the ouchie spot is numb and we got chewable pain meds (which he also had no trouble with) to kick in after his vet-administereed pain meds. He hasn't been nauseated, even though he was under for a dental AND toe amputation. We have had a little bit of bleeding leaking out his lips on the side where he lost a tooth, but other than that everything has gone as planned.

You can expect some pain managementfor afterwards administered at the vet plus some take-home drugs. A long as he doesn't lose 'chewing' teeth, he should have no problem eating softened kibble!

Edited: I see he has conquered his dental and is doing fine :) Glad to hear it!

Edited by cwholsin

Well, we made it through the night, but it wasn't uneventful. He got me up several times acting like he wanted to go out. The first time he peed, but street that he just stood around looking confused, so i took him back in. then he would pant for a while, and then he would settle for maybe 20 minutes, but then be up again repeating the cycle. Plus, when he got up, he would stand there all miserable as his back end slowly sunk, and then he would stumble. A couple of times he bumped his head on the door or the furniture. Once i got him to lay down again each time, he would quiet down if i kept petting him.

So i decided to stay home with him, as he clearly seems to be having residual effects from the anesthesia. He seems a bit confused and disoriented, as well as still wobbly and just not quite right. I'm afraid he could hurt himself if he keeps acting like last night with no supervision. He ate a tiny bit of breakfast, and was snuggling with me relatively peacefully (he had his eyes open and kept lifting his head to look around) but now he's panting again.

I am assuming this is leftover drugs, and i don't need to worry yet, but it's gonna be a long day.

Well, we made it through the night, but it wasn't uneventful. He got me up several times acting like he wanted to go out. The first time he peed, but street that he just stood around looking confused, so i took him back in. then he would pant for a while, and then he would settle for maybe 20 minutes, but then be up again repeating the cycle. Plus, when he got up, he would stand there all miserable as his back end slowly sunk, and then he would stumble. A couple of times he bumped his head on the door or the furniture. Once i got him to lay down again each time, he would quiet down if i kept petting him.

So i decided to stay home with him, as he clearly seems to be having residual effects from the anesthesia. He seems a bit confused and disoriented, as well as still wobbly and just not quite right. I'm afraid he could hurt himself if he keeps acting like last night with no supervision. He ate a tiny bit of breakfast, and was snuggling with me relatively peacefully (he had his eyes open and kept lifting his head to look around) but now he's panting again.

I am assuming this is leftover drugs, and i don't need to worry yet, but it's gonna be a long day.

As long as he's willing to eat and drink and doesn't seem to be getting worse, it's likely the anesthesia and fatigue from all the excitement. Can help to keep him well hydrated and to feed frequent small meals. Oh, and give him some scritchies from me, please :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just did! And yes, he does want to eat (only some of his kibble, but all of the ensure and the "wet" food) and is drinking some. I'm glad I arranged it and left plans (I'm a teacher) so I could stay home if I needed to. I wouldn't want him to be alone right now.

I still wonder about all the people who say he'll just sleep after! I wish he would! :)

My guess is residual side effects of the drugs, maybe some discomfort & leftover stress combined. Bet your staying home with him is the best medicine. Hoping things continue to improve as the day goes on.

Guest Fasave

Glad to hear Robin is home. Have you called the vet to ask if this was normal behavior? I've found that each of my pups have acted differently. Thunder screamed....and I mean screamed...for a couple hours after I brought him home from a canine removal. The vets thought it was a reaction to the pain meds. Avalanche was just really dopey but when he got confused or was in pain, he liked to go out and stand in the cool air. Safari woke up ravenous in the middle of the night after he lost 18 teeth with his first dental. He was shaking so much I though we were having an earthquake. Tucker....well...I don't even think Tucker knows he had a dental. He came home, ate and ran off with one of my shoes! So yes, my experience has been that they all act differently. With the exception of Tucker, I've called the vet each time just to be reassured.

Yeah, I talked to someone at the vet's office. The doctor wasn't there, but the person I spoke to feels like it is what I thought--it will just take him a little longer to get over the anesthesia. So far, he's slowly improving. He's been napping, and not getting up as much, and we took a short walk. And he is eating and drinking--not a lot, but frequently.

Hopefully he will keep improving. Thanks for the well wishes!

Update-

Robin is doing much better. In fact, he's just about back to normal. And today he ate almost his whole breakfast without me nagging him! And he had snacks and his entire dinner! It has been AT LEAST two weeks since he's done that. Plus he's all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, as they say. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see him enjoying his food again. It is a good thing too, since I can finally tell that he has lost some weight these past two weeks. He feels a little bony. But he has his appetite back, so I will keep feeding him and help him put the weight back on. I'm sure he will enjoy that.....

I'm so happy to see my boy feeling better. Hooray!