How Did I Miss The Launch Of This Food Last Summer?

Well, I was intrigued. Today was the first time I'd seen it at the store by my house.

Ingredients -

"Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, brewers rice, pea protein, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), rice bran, dried plain beet pulp, dried egg product, natural flavor, oatmeal, sunflower oil, dried peas, dried carrots, whole flaxseed, dried cranberry, potassium chloride, salt, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), choline chloride, manganese proteinate, l-carnitine, copper proteinate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, calcium iodate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), folic acid."

It has meat as first ingredient, meat meal as the second, no wheat, corn or soy, no by products and the obligatory handful of peas, carrots and cranberries per bag for the discerning owner. Other than the fact the poultry fat is not labeled there doesn't seem to be a lot not to like. It is a 3.5 star food on one site and it is cheaper than Iams.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Beat pulp!

What is it, Pam?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When I put that ingredient list in Google I come up with Walmart's private label brand called Pure Balance.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Yep. Who'd have think 'Ol Roy could put out a food that ranks about Avoderm grain free and more than one of the Bule Buffalo Basics on the sainted Dog Food Advisor...at $16.60 for 15 pounds. :);)

Yup, Walmart 31.88 for 30# bag. same as Iams BUT label states origin of components: USA or IMPORTED (do you trust Walmart not to throw in a little China)

Well heck, Natural Balance and a LOT of other high end foods were throwing in a little China in the big recall a few years back.

Iams (I have a bag right here) says "processed in the USA" not "made entirely of USA sourced ingredents" and I can't find anything about country of origin of components. If I were a betting woman I'd bet Pure Balance is made by Kirkland right here in the USA. I'm sure Wal-Mart made the manufacturer sign all kinds of confidentiality agreements.

Edited by Hubcitypam

If I were a betting woman I'd bet Pure Balance is made by Kirkland right here in the USA. I'm sure Wal-Mart made the manufacturer sign all kinds of confidentiality agreements.

:nod My first thought when you posted the ingredient list was that this sounds VERY similar to the Kirkland Chicken and Rice, manufactured for Costco by Diamond and almost identical to their Diamond Naturals chicken formula. The concerns about QC at a couple of Diamond plants aside, IMO a pretty good food at a terrific price (less than $30 for a 40lb bag here in MA).

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

BUT label states origin of components: USA or IMPORTED (do you trust Walmart not to throw in a little China)

Unfortunately, almost every dog food contains ingredients from China. If not the meat (many meats and meals do come from there) it is the additives and grains. You would be hard pressed to find a company that doesn't import (and if they do you will pay for it and they would clearly advertise this on the front of the bag). "Made in..." does not mean the ingredients aren't imported.

I don't think we have that food here, but our Walmarts carry a brand called Actrium. A big step above Ol' Roy but the Pure Balance has a better looking ingredient list.

Acana and Orijen don't have any ingredients from China. Another reason to love this food!

But so expensive. :( I love their ingredients but I can't stomach the high price tag.

Sometimes I think I spend more time looking for a good and affordable kibble than I do on preparing meals for myself!

Guest grey_dreams
But so expensive. :( I love their ingredients but I can't stomach the high price tag.

Sometimes I think I spend more time looking for a good and affordable kibble than I do on preparing meals for myself!

IMHO, in the long term, the costs probably balance out. The cost of the food versus the cost of vet care. Those fed a high-quality diet likely have fewer illnesses because of a better general wellness.

Yep. Acana and Orijen are almost $3 a pound. Gosh, I am absolutely positive that I don't spend $3 a pound on my own food when I eat at home. When Rex was sick and I was trying those high end foods I laughed that he was eating $40 a bag food and I was eating off dollar menus. I was only half joking.

Solid Gold is made by Diamond.

If you are happy with $75 a bag food then by all means feed it. Not everyone has the means to do so.

I pointed out this food because I thought the ingredients were amazing for the price - but that is the buying power and sales volume of the "evil empire". Poodles insulin (made by Eli Lily as Wal-Mart private label ReliOn) is $24.88. Humalin N is $70 everywhere else...there is no generic except the Wal-Mart brand.

IMHO, in the long term, the costs probably balance out. The cost of the food versus the cost of vet care. Those fed a high-quality diet likely have fewer illnesses because of a better general wellness.

Do you have studies that prove higher priced food = less vet care costs? Does high quality only mean most expensive? What defines a high quality food?

Edited by Hubcitypam

My two were always on Eukanuba because of Red's stomach issues and soft stools. Year before last I switched them over to Sam's Club Excel Chicken and Rice...no issues, they loved it. I think at the time it was $32 for a 40 lb bag. As long as they liked it, were healthy, and most important had good poo...I was happy.

Guest rennina

They're more expensive per pound, but you feed less. I buy big bags online, so it's $70/30 lb.

Yep. Acana and Orijen are almost $3 a pound. Gosh, I am absolutely positive that I don't spend $3 a pound on my own food when I eat at home. When Rex was sick and I was trying those high end foods I laughed that he was eating $40 a bag food and I was eating off dollar menus. I was only half joking.

Solid Gold is made by Diamond.

If you are happy with $75 a bag food then by all means feed it. Not everyone has the means to do so.

I pointed out this food because I thought the ingredients were amazing for the price - but that is the buying power and sales volume of the "evil empire". Poodles insulin (made by Eli Lily as Wal-Mart private label ReliOn) is $24.88. Humalin N is $70 everywhere else...there is no generic except the Wal-Mart brand.

Do you have studies that prove higher priced food = less vet care costs? Does high quality only mean most expensive? What defines a high quality food?

Guest starr511

I know this is true for our pets food. Greys eat Acana with soft Wysong and the cats eat Fromms and Wellness soft food. We eat McDonalds. :chow:heart:heart:heart

Guest Gemma
I know this is true for our pets food. Greys eat Acana with soft Wysong and the cats eat Fromms and Wellness soft food. We eat McDonalds. :chow:heart:heart:heart

Ha! I do make sure DH and I eat well but I don't put anywhere as much thought into our meals as I do Peyton's. ;)

We're weaning him off a prescription food ($90/30lb!!) and will be putting him on Taste of the Wild, which is a good food at a lower price ($45/30lb). If we get a smaller dog that eats less, I'd definitely consider a more expensive food but Peyton eats 3 cups a day and that is just too pricey for me.