The Boys Not Getting Along After Grace's Death

Help, please. :(

I was worried that Grace no longer being the boss of everyone would impact Jackson and Fenway's behavior. We've had a few minor tiffs between the boys in the past. Most with loud scary barking, one that ended with a staple for Fen and a bite for me.

This weekend they were both sniffing a spot in the yard and a fight broke out. DBF jumped in the middle and Jackson bit his leg, much like what happened to me over a year ago. Once they start, neither will back down.

So DBF asked the dog walker (who only comes to let them in the yard) to let them out separately this week. She said they've both been acting different, but she can't put her finger on it. Today I got a text from her that she was outside with Jackson and Fenny was on his dog bed. She came inside and made eye contact with him when it was time to go out, at that point he growled at her. She thinks he might have been guarding the bed. It's not like him to growl at a human, though he did snap at DBF about 6-8 weeks ago. He accidentally poked Fen in the ribs too hard when trying to get him to move.

So DBF decides to put Jackson in day care tomorrow. Great, except Fenway has never been alone in his life. And DBF wants to relax at home tonight, so won't leave with Jackson so I can do alone training. Fen can't go to daycare since he's not up to date on his kennel cough vaccine. He goes to the vet on 3/2 for that so he can start going to day care sometimes too. (He'll get his full work up, including blood work, at this appointment.)

So not only am I uncomfortable leaving Fen alone for 8-10 hours tomorrow (the dog walker will come midday), but then I got in a huge fight with DBF about it.

Does anyone have suggestions at all on what we can do between 8pm and 8am so that Fenway doesn't freak out tomorrow? Anything that involves DBF being home anyway. Will alone training be at all effective if a person is home but I leave with Jackson? I'm not sure if I even have a kong anymore, though I could run to Target if I needed to I guess.

I cannot kennel either dog, first we don't own a kennel and second neither have been kenneled since they were puppies. For those who don't know, I got Fenway when he was 4 months old so he never raced and has always been with Grace. Aside from a few days of being mopey after her death, he seems largely unaffected by it. Until this weekend.

DBF and I have lived together for a year, but for the two years prior G+F would stay at DBF's apartment with Jackson for abound half the week. In three years, there have maybe been 6-10 snarks that I'm aware of.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

You could try to leave with Jackson for a while tonight. It could be helpful to have DBF there to see Fenway's reaction to your departure. Good sign if Fenway acts normally while you're gone. (Our extremely severe SA hound freaks when I leave a room, even with a pack of calm hounds and humans seated right next to her.) There isn't much you can do in one night for SA. Hopefully, Fenway will be okay alone in his own home environment. Great if you're able to get a Kong and peanut butter for tomorrow. If you freeze Kong, add a little room temp peanut butter or meat only baby food near the Kong edge before you leave. (Gerber's Stage 2 meat only (blue color label) is safe for dogs = no toxic spices to pets.) Offering Kong as Fen's high value treat will help keep him busy.

Also, if Fen is a chewer, try a hard DuraChew by Nylabone large "souper size," bacon or any flavor (not original flavor = no flavor). Smearing peanut butter on it will increase interest in the new chew bone too. Dog walker could restock busy treat toys mid-day. Even a kibble cube, but I hesitate leaving hounds with anything on which they could choke.

Sounds like both dogs need to be muzzled whenever they aren't separated by secure babygate/s, etc. I understand your frustration, especially in this emotionally sensitive time after losing Grace. Please try to remain as calm as possible around both dogs, especially Fenway. Any tension between you and your boyfriend will affect the dogs negatively. Try not to worry too much, and let us know how things go.

Guest PiagetsMom

I wish I had advice for you, but I'm sure that someone here will be able to give you something that you can work with for Fenway and Jackson. I know this is a difficult time for you, and I'm sorry that you're having other issues that are making it even more difficult for you :grouphug

Muzzles are going to be a must, at least for the time being. Don't let the fact that they may have never worn one put you off - it's easier to get them used to a muzzle than to take them both to the vet to be put back together after a fight.

I don't think there's much you can do tonight (and it's late anyway now) except be ready for whatever you're going to come home to tomorrow. Given Fenway's recent behavior, I'm not sure that day care is going to be a good solution for him anyway. Resource guarding and growling at t people is not something most day care's will tolerate in their guests. You should certainly talk to them about not having them out together in the same play group.

Some of this may work itself out as your boys get used to life without Grace. If it continues for more than a few months and/or escalates, you should consult a certified animal behaviorist to help you sort things out for them.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Muzzles for both.

Shouldn't be any reason you'd have to wait for his kennel cough vaccine -- should just be able to pop by the vet and have a tech give that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Do you even have a muzzle for Jackson? Not sure if a greyhound muzzle will fit an Airedale.

I would crate. Doesn't matter that they haven't been, they can relearn. I haven't crated Carmen in 6 years and when we moved I had too and it was no big deal. Or gate them in opposite areas.

Fighting with Ryan doesn't do any good, you are both trying to "defend" your own dog. I actually like his idea of taking Hackson to day care. It expends some energy and gives Fenway a chance to see if he can manage at least half a day with the dog walker. If you needed to, just gate Fenway in the kitchen or something and have the dog walker come twice for a few days to see how he does. You will never know until you try.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Fingers crossed for Fenway today!<br /><br />And Jackson is an Airedale...agreeing with Beth...you would have to find a muzzle to fit him and for two dogs that have not worn muzzles they might cause a lot of issues with them trying to get them off.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I don't think muzzles will work. A basket muzzle won't fit his face, plus have you met an airedale?!? Yeah, he'll work and work and work until it comes off. :lol

I think separating or crating is a better option for us. Damn open concept house will make that hard, but do-able.

And Beth, you are right...fighting won't help. Day care will be good for Jackson, he's usually dog tired at the end of the day and when he goes regularly it makes for a peaceful home.

If/when I take Fen to daycare, he'll actually go to a different one than Jackson. He's never been before and they all require temperament testing (plus a 7 day waiting period after they get the vaccination) so Fen can't go right now anyhow.

Some of this may work itself out as your boys get used to life without Grace. If it continues for more than a few months and/or escalates, you should consult a certified animal behaviorist to help you sort things out for them.

This is a good point too.

Edited by gracegirl

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Sorry you are going through this. There is always an adjustment period during a change in the pack. The dogs can get thrown off because their roles are shifting. Since Grace was your alpha, there is probably some confusion and anxiety about where they stand. I think you're right to separate them temporarily. Daycare will hopefully help them gain some independence. Good luck with your current situation, and very sorry to hear about the loss of your Grace. :(

petedge.com (and probably some other places) sells basket muzzles for all breeds. Could give you some security when they're out in the yard together -- give you a little more time to break up shenanigans before injuries occur.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This could be pack dynamics OR it is possible that Jackson is having a health issue. I would have him tested for Lymes because of the sudden aggression. I can see him going after Fen, but not you.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

This could be pack dynamics OR it is possible that Jackson is having a health issue. I would have him tested for Lymes because of the sudden aggression. I can see him going after Fen, but not you.

To be clear, he didn't go after a human. But a human jumped in front of his teeth. It's was not an aggressive move at all. I just want that to be clear.

I'm pleased to report that Fenway appears to have done fine home alone today. No parties thrown where confetti was made (paper shredded) or anything out of place. No calls or notes from neighbors about noise either.

I guess I'll be up at 5am to walk him again. Ugh. It's snowing so at least it will be a beautiful walk.

• 2 weeks later...