Carly Is Limping

Carly is my spooky girl. She will be 10 next month. She was fine this morning and is now not wanting to bear weight on her right front leg. :( Her paw looks fine. I don't see any swelling in the leg. To say that I'm scared is an understatement. I lost my galgo, Cruz, to kidney failure on Oct. 29th and am still grieving. Although she's better than she used to be, she's still very spooky and quirky and it not easy to give her a pill or examine her or get her in and out of the car. She is traumatized over the slightest little change in her routine. I just wanted to tell my greyhound family and ask for good thoughts for her. I'm hoping it's nothing, but am scared that it's not. :(

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest grey_dreams

Sending many prayers and white light for Carly and for you :candle Do you give her glucosamine +MSM + boswelia + others ? Hoping it's just from some older joints that need some extra support to keep them pliable :grouphug

I'm sorry you are still grieving for Cruz :grouphug Sometimes the grief for Zuki just erupts without warning, and I find myself back in the last moments. But all the other moments are the majority of memories, and the love is unbroken.

Edited by grey_dreams

Tons of positive thoughts for you and Carly. Maybe it's just a corn that hasn't shown through yet.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It is most likely that she "tweaked" something or is developing a corn. However, I always recommend going to the vet and getting x-rays for an unexplained limp that lasts for more than a couple of days and does not disappear when walking on soft surfaces.

It sounds like that might be very difficult for Carly. You can try to do an examination yourself. If she does have the "thing we won't name", she would likely express pain when you press firmly around her shoulder/upper arm or around her wrist. Also, has she been showing signs of pain even when she isn't bearing weight? Here are some common pain signals:

Altered behavior-quieter than normal, avoidance of other animals or people, hiding, aggressive behavior, fear biting, mental dullness and depression, agitation, restlessness, pacing

Altered movement or gait-lameness, reluctance to move, reluctance to get up, wobbliness, abnormal carriage or use of one or more legs, stiffness.

Vocalization-growling, howling, yipping, moaning.

Decreased or lack of appetite (anorexia).

I didn't recognize these signals in my Joe. In retrospect, I realized he had been panting more than normal and had not been as playful.

If you do need to take her to the vet, you might try getting a script from the vet for something she could take before she goes in--something to calm her down I mean. I would expect that they would need to knock her out to x-ray her.

I hope Carly is just feeling a little bit of older age and nothing worse.

Jane

sending many prayers it is nothing at all. :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That seems such a rapid extreme change, I'm going to think/hope it must involve an injury. Could she have tweaked something in her neck and shoulder?

I let her and Princess out an hour or so before but Carly hardly ever runs outside. She never has. She came in and came up the back steps (6 steps) without a problem. She got on the couch slept for several hours and then when she got up she was favoring the right front and wouldn't go down the back steps to go outside. I supposed she could have taken a bad step outside and hurt herself. I'm praying that's what it is.

Edited by galgrey

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

If she'll let you, take a good look at her foot -- wiggle each toe, get a flashlight and look up in between the pads, etc. Hugs and hopes it's something minor.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It is most likely that she "tweaked" something or is developing a corn. However, I always recommend going to the vet and getting x-rays for an unexplained limp that lasts for more than a couple of days and does not disappear when walking on soft surfaces.

It sounds like that might be very difficult for Carly. You can try to do an examination yourself. If she does have the "thing we won't name", she would likely express pain when you press firmly around her shoulder/upper arm or around her wrist. Also, has she been showing signs of pain even when she isn't bearing weight? Here are some common pain signals:

Altered behavior-quieter than normal, avoidance of other animals or people, hiding, aggressive behavior, fear biting, mental dullness and depression, agitation, restlessness, pacing

Altered movement or gait-lameness, reluctance to move, reluctance to get up, wobbliness, abnormal carriage or use of one or more legs, stiffness.

Vocalization-growling, howling, yipping, moaning.

Decreased or lack of appetite (anorexia).

I didn't recognize these signals in my Joe. In retrospect, I realized he had been panting more than normal and had not been as playful.

If you do need to take her to the vet, you might try getting a script from the vet for something she could take before she goes in--something to calm her down I mean. I would expect that they would need to knock her out to x-ray her.

I hope Carly is just feeling a little bit of older age and nothing worse.

Jane

She greeted me twirling and play bowing when I got home from work last night which is typical. That is about as animated as she gets. She's otherwise a pretty quiet, avoidant type of dog. She ate breakfast with enthusiasm this morning and wasn't limping or reluctant to move until a few hours ago. I went in the living room a few minutes ago and she was just standing on her bed, reluctant to lie down. I gave her a 50 mg tramadol two hours ago. She's a big girl, weighs about 69 pounds. I'm wondering if 50 mg is enough. Anyway, when I went in to encourage her to lie down she was trembling. It wasn't visible, but I when I touched her I could feel a slight trembling in her body. I'm guessing that's pain. :( She's not panting though. She did lie down but not while I was watching her. I left the room and came back and she's lying on her bed. She's a very sensitive, but quirky dog. This all happened incredibly fast. I will be taking her for x rays Monday morning. I'm not sure how I'll get her in car given her reluctance to move and her size. Thank you for your good thoughts.

Oh, does anyone know the tramadol dosage for a 69 pound dog? My search looks like it should be closer to 1 mg per pound. Does that sound right?

Edited by galgrey

She could have another Tramadol......dose is 3-5 mg/kg, can go all the way up to 10 mg/kg for severe pain (like os). Pretty flexible.

In Desi's case, less is better. He's about 80 lb & even just giving him 2 will make him pant & act a little weird.

Good thoughts for your Carly. Hope, hope, hope, it's nothing serious.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

She greeted me twirling and play bowing when I got home from work last night which is typical. That is about as animated as she gets. She's otherwise a pretty quiet, avoidant type of dog. She ate breakfast with enthusiasm this morning and wasn't limping or reluctant to move until a few hours ago. I went in the living room a few minutes ago and she was just standing on her bed, reluctant to lie down. I gave her a 50 mg tramadol two hours ago. She's a big girl, weighs about 69 pounds. I'm wondering if 50 mg is enough. Anyway, when I went in to encourage her to lie down she was trembling. It wasn't visible, but I when I touched her I could feel a slight trembling in her body. I'm guessing that's pain. :( She's not panting though. She did lie down but not while I was watching her. I left the room and came back and she's lying on her bed. She's a very sensitive, but quirky dog. This all happened incredibly fast. I will be taking her for x rays Monday morning. I'm not sure how I'll get her in car given her reluctance to move and her size. Thank you for your good thoughts.

Oh, does anyone know the tramadol dosage for a 69 pound dog? My search looks like it should be closer to 1 mg per pound. Does that sound right?

The trembling could be a reaction to the tramadol. Just pay attention to her symptoms and when you give the tramadol. It might help to keep a small log. Comparing symptoms to when medication was given might help determine if it is pain or if it is tramadol.

Since it appears that she had no signs of pain before her trip outside, I bet she tweaked something. Just think of yourself. If you exceed your limits either by working out too long or stretching too far, it often doesn't hurt much until after you are inactive for a while. Then it takes time and gentle workouts to get the muscle feeling better.

Since she is so fearful, you might look around to see if you can find a vet to come to your home in the future. Obviously, you need to go to the vet this time since you need x-rays. I have a vet here who will make house calls. It costs an extra $50 to $70, but many people feel it is worth it. Or if she responds well to Xanax, that might be an option.

Jane

Carly hasn't had any pain medication since 7:00 yesterday morning and is moving fine, no limping or favoring her right front leg. I had planned to take her in for x rays this morning, but she was twirling in both directions this morning before breakfast and had no difficulty going up and down the steps to the backyard, so I'm going to wait and see. I want to thank everyone for their replies and good thoughts. I was just sick with worry. Hopefully she just tweaked something while she was outside Saturday morning and is all better now. :goodluck:hope

I'd still take her in and get X-rays, sooner rather than later. :goodluck

Me, too. Not to scare you, but it's best to rule out the scary stuff. Gabe's limp was intermittent, even when his tumor was visible.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Me, too. Not to scare you, but it's best to rule out the scary stuff. Gabe's limp was intermittent, even when his tumor was visible.

I guess I just assumed (wanted to believe) that because the limp was completely gone within 24 hours it couldn't be osteo. :(