Alprazolam (Generic Xanax) For Anxiety

Beanie is a bundle of nerves everytime she has to go in for her chemo. I ask my vet to prescribe her Xanax to see if that would help. I only gave it to her prior to a vet visit once and I didn't see any improvement. In fact, when given the recommended dose a couple nights prior she was stumbling around and seemed even more anxious. I reduced the dosage and she seemed to tolerate it better, but I didn't see an improvement in her anxiety level.

Is this drug, if it is going to work, effective if given only for isolated incidents or is it necessary to build up in the system and stay on it to get any real benefit from it. The reason I'm asking is because her nervousness coupled with some irritation at her injection sites has caused her to start self mutilaton of her leg by constantly licking it. A Bite-Not collar is working for now, but if I take it off I find after some time she goes back to lick, lick, licking again. I'd love to be able to reduce her stress level so she'll stop this and relax more when going to the vet.

Guest HoundWorks

Xanax is used for isolated incidents. I found that when the vet prescribed it for our nervous and anxious SA whippet I didn't see any improvement. We adjusted doses and still nothing.

Zoloft was also prescribed to him (the generic version) and that must be built up in their system to see any improvement. Unfortunately I don't think either of these meds helped Dexter's SA and general nervousness. What ended up helping was when we moved from our apartment to the townhouse something about the change in environment caused it to go away mostly and definitely time. Personally I wouldn't put him back on either because I think the problems had more to do with my state of mind and worrying about him that made him so anxious.

I have heard good experiences from other people so hopefully they will chime in for you!

I tried Xanax (generic form) for Annie's anxiety about riding in the car for long distances. It worked for a couple of hours the first time but it didn't work again. Thankfully she's adjusted to car rides (well, she rather be in the car unhappy than left home alone unhappy), so she takes nothing now.

Good luck. I feel bad for you and your girl. :(

Xanax is a quick acting anti-anxiety drug, which differs from other meds (like Prozac, Zoloft) that have to build up in the system for several weeks before any real results can be achieved. Some dogs do not tolerate Xanax. I gave it to my Truman once for a long car ride, and it seemed to have a reverse effect. Instead of being calm, he was agitated and wobbly. When Henry takes it for fireworks, it just makes him normal (a higher dose makes him sleepy). So it works for one of my guys, but not the other. There are other quick acting anxiety meds for dogs that may be better for your girl like Clomicalm or Valium.

I gave it to my Truman once for a long car ride, and it seemed to have a reverse effect. Instead of being calm, he was agitated and wobbly. There are other quick acting anxiety meds for dogs that may be better for your girl like Clomicalm or Valium.

That is the effect it seemed to have on her. I' ll have to inquire about the other meds.

Valium was prescribed for my storm-phobe girl and really helps her as long as I only give her half a dose. It works best if I know the storm is coming and give it to her before it gets here.

If it was going to work, you would have seen an improvement. Xanax doesn't work for every dog. The one thing I've found is that you must have it in their system and given enough time to work BEFORE they start to feel anxious at all. Once the anxious chemicals in the brain get going, xanax doesn't have much effect.

The 2 mg dosage is based on her weight and is a standard starting point. It just doesn't sound like Beanie is a good candidate for it. I would try valium for her.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My vet said she prefers to use valium for short-term, immediate anxiety relief in dogs. She gave me some for Puzzle (IG) when I took him on a plane with me. It worked GREAT. He is an extremely anxious dog around strangers, and I can only imagine how he would have been at the airport, having to go through security, etc, if he did not have any drugs. With the valium, he was still a bit scared, but nowhere near as bad, and he slept the majority of our 12 hour trip. I would def give valium a try. I gave Puzzle a bit less than the dosage the vet told me to, since I could always give him more if needed.

Puzzle was also on a longer term anti-anxiety med (a human antidepressant) the first year I had him, for about 4 months. But that was totally different. Xanax and Valium work quickly and do not need to build up in their system so they are for specific times you know your dog will be stressed. A longer term medication can take the edge off long enough to give you a chance to train and work with your dog to be less anxious in general.

Seems silly to ask but, have you tried reducing the dose to see if that eliminates the undesirable side effects? Start at 0.5mgs perhaps?

I tried reducing the dosage to 1mg, which helped with the bad side effects, but did nothing for her anxiety when I took her in to the vet. I just wasn't sure if she needed to be on the lower dose longer for her to benefit from it.

That is the effect it seemed to have on her. I' ll have to inquire about the other meds.

Yeah, based on her reaction, I would just try a new med altogether. When we asked for Xanax for Henry (anxiety due to fireworks on the Fourth of July), the vet actually recommended we try it a few days prior to make sure it worked. I believe something like 1 out of 5 dogs don't tolerate Xanax well. It affects them physiologically (body) and gives a "drunk" appearance, but it doesn't treat the psychological problem and can actually makes them more agitated.

Any of the Benzodiazepines can cause an adverse reaction--agitation, anxiety, etc. Trouble with one doesn't necessarily mean trouble with another one. Have you asked about Lorezapam?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I haven't had a chance to ask about other medications yet because of the weekend. I thought this morning that maybe I had broken the cycle of licking because I was able to leave the collar off in the evening and overnight through this morning and she wasn't bothering that leg. The wound was starts to scab over on the surface then I took a nap and woke up to this :(

2013-02-10_13-55-53_468.jpg

There are other quick acting anxiety meds for dogs that may be better for your girl like Clomicalm or Valium.

Just a quick correction. Clomicalm is a long-acting daily medication like Prozac that has to build up in their system. Other quick, short-acting anxiety meds that are starting to be used more for dogs are trazodone and clonidine. However, if the vet prescribing the meds is not the one doing the chemo, make sure the oncologist is aware of any meds you're considering to make sure there are no interactions. If you're unable to find something that works that your vet is familiar with, you might want to ask the vet to consult with a veterinary behaviorist.

the vet actually recommended we try it a few days prior to make sure it worked.

I always recommend this when prescribing an immediate-acting anxiety med. All have the potential for undesired side effects, and it's best to make sure you're not going to have any weird reactions before you actually try to use it in the situation where the dog is needs it.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Just a quick correction. Clomicalm is a long-acting daily medication like Prozac that has to build up in their system. Other quick, short-acting anxiety meds that are starting to be used more for dogs are trazodone and clonidine. However, if the vet prescribing the meds is not the one doing the chemo, make sure the oncologist is aware of any meds you're considering to make sure there are no interactions. If you're unable to find something that works that your vet is familiar with, you might want to ask the vet to consult with a veterinary behaviorist.

I always recommend this when prescribing an immediate-acting anxiety med. All have the potential for undesired side effects, and it's best to make sure you're not going to have any weird reactions before you actually try to use it in the situation where the dog is needs it.

First of all, thank you for your input. My vet that is administering the chemo is not an oncologist. He researched the different protocols for lymphoma and chose to use RMUW-19 because he was familiar with use of the different agents used. OSU should be able to tell me if any of these medications would have interactions with any of the drugs he is on.

I'm going to give a DAP diffuser a try and see if that helps any. I'm also going to try lavender essential oil and I was reading that supplementing with the amino acid l-theanine has been helpful.

BAH! Not Clomicalm... I meant Clonazepam. Thanks, Jennifer!

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo used to use xanax for travel phobia but we were up to 2mg without much benefit. We switched to trazodone 50mg 1/2 to 1 hour before travel and it helps more than the xanax did. He is still anxious but will actually lay down in the car.

I can only chime in from a human standpoint, but I've taken most of the drugs being discussed. :blush

Zoloft, Paxil and other anti depressants take weeks to build up in your system. I have Xanex here for stressful events like the dentist that could cause an anxiety attack - one 30 minutes before really helps. On a day to day baisis Lorezapam (Ativan) has given me the most relief from general anxiety. Trazadone is here as a sleep aid but even 1/2 a pill slams me so bad I seldom if ever take it. A small dose could knock out an elephant - it may have a different effect on dogs. My sister had two severe falls that landed her in the ER after taking trazadone at night. It is pretty heavy duty stuff in humans, even in small doses.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest grey_dreams
I'm going to give a DAP diffuser a try and see if that helps any. I'm also going to try lavender essential oil and I was reading that supplementing with the amino acid l-theanine has been helpful.

DAP and lavender oil may help, and at least they won't have any adverse effects. For the oil, you may use a Q-tip and saturate it with the oil, then rub the saturated cotton around on her tag collar. I find if I use more than this, it's too strong for my shy boy, but like that it's just right. I recently adopted a very shy/spooky boy who needed help, but I didn't want to start out with pharmaceuticals. Herbs are helping him so much that now we won't need to use pharmaceuticals. He is getting chamomile, passion flower, and lemon balm, given at 1/2 the recommended human dose. I've also used the decapeptide isolated from milk, called Zylkene in Europe, and De-Stress in the US. We've used both, and they are both very good. I tried L-theanine for Zuki but it didn't help him. Hope you have better results for Beanie.

That rash looks quite painful. Is that at the injection site? Sending lots of prayers for Beanie.