Desi's Coming Home!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful news! I hope he continues to improve.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

This is killing me to tell you all this......but Desi is NOT home....yet.

I did go down to get him & when I talked to the dr, I asked the brutally frank question.......are you sending him home to die?

And the brutally frank answer........it will all depend on your perception of his quality of life.

The common causes of clot formation are diabetes, cushing's, hypothyroidism, steroids, PLE, and cancer.

He has none of these, unless there is cancer in the spleen, and they will not even entertain the thought of surgery at this time.

He could throw another clot at any time & be in even worse shape than he is now.

I was all gung-ho to get my man & get him home.......when they brought him out (2 people & a sling) I burst into tears...again.

He was weak, head hanging, no brightness in his eyes at all, every step seemed like an intolerable effort. There was absolutely

no thought of trying to use the ramp......he could barely walk on flat ground. It took forever to get down that hallway, out the door,

and to the car. We just lifted him in. Another part of the problem I believe is that his abdomen is very tender (from the icky spleen?)

and any attempts of help with the sling ellicit a yelp.

So I sit there in the parking lot & cry my eyes out, knowing that there is no way on god's green earth that I will be able to get him out

by myself when we get home. And even if I got him out, the next obstacle is a small hill (about 4 steps) that goes from the street

sidewalk up to another short walk to my porch. No way was he going to be able to manage that hill, shoot, he can barely do flat!

I had to go back to the clinic where I work to pick up Skeeter (I'd left him there for the afternoon since in his old age he doesn't do

"alone" at all well. So I sit there in the parking lot for another while & cry. Then a couple of my favorite techs came upon me on their

way back from their dinner break. Then one of the drs come out on their way home, and we all end up sitting in the car with me blubbering

and trying to think of what to do. There are offers to come help me get him out......but I live 30 min from the city and that's not something

you can ask someone to do for god-only-knows-how-long.

Finally, (and I thank these ladies from the bottom of my heart for coming up with this idea, because I was SO lost)...we decided that Desi

will stay at the clinic for "a while." He comes to work with me every day, so this place is his second home anyway, and he's very comfortable

there, knows & likes everyone. There are no steps at all, only a slight incline to get him out for potty call, and there's always people around to

help. We set him up in our isolation room, which is rarely used and just off the treatment area. We are planning on doing physical therapy

regularly & getting him up & around often to try to build his strength. I don't know how long we can all manage this, but that's the plan for now.

His other 3 legs aren't the greatest and he's been on carprofen for years; but they took that away because of the low-dose aspirin, and want him

to do Tramadol alone. IMHO, Tramadol does not work all that well alone, works best in a team with the nsaid. Besides which, it makes him a

little crazy & inappetant. So we thought we'd also play around with some other painkillers & try to find something that helps a little more.

He's definitely in pain.....doesn't want to get up and after you do get him up, he doesn't want to lay down.....will just stand there until his legs

give out. So, I'm going to be spending a lot more time at work, besides working. I'll be doing most of the care myself, but others will be doing

the 7:00 am & last of evening potty calls. I guess my goal right now is to get him to the point of being at least a little bit ok with being a tripod,

although to look at him right now, it's almost llke he's giving up. But we're going to try and then try some more until he gets stronger & I figure

out a way to be able to take him "home." Right now, when he hops on his "good" rear leg, it buckles & he nearly goes down.

Skeeter & I miss him horribly, but we'll bear what we must and hope for the best.

I feel like I've failed and the tears are coming again, but between him being as weak as he is, and me being as old & not what I once was.........

I just cannot manage his condition alone right now.

Thanks for listening, I hope you all understand.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

{{{{{{{{{{Desi's sad worried momma}}}}}}}}}}

You haven't failed him. You're doing what's giving him his best chance.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It sounds like you have made the best decision for Desi right now. I hope he regains his strength with all of your TLC. Sending more prayers for Desi.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

It must be distressing, of course, to look at your dog that way. He is not feeling well, and it shows. I am so sad for you and Desi. I hope he starts to shine again.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You're doing what's best for him. It's a rough situation that you're in, but it sounds like a wonderful temporary solution. Hugs hugs hugs to you all. :grouphug

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I am so sorry he is having such a hard time. He is such a sweet boy, I can't believe he is having to go through so much.

You've come up with a great plan for him.

I so hope the aspirin therapy kicks in for him.

I've been thinking of both of you, and sending good healing thoughts.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I know it's not as comforting as having him home, but it sounds like a great plan to me. He'll be surrounded by people who care about him (and you) and who can care for him until he can get some strength back.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am so sorry your Desi isn't at home with you, but it really seems like you've found the absolute very best option for him. Prayers and hugs to both of you, and heartfelt hopes that with everyone pulling for him that his strength and bright eyes start to return.

Kathy, you are absolutely, 100 percent the best mom Desi could have. You have NOT failed. You came up with a solution that will work out wonderfully for everyone involved, including Desi.

Your post had me sobbing, I could feel your love for Desi and your frustration that you couldn't just make him all better. I know that you will do what is best for Desi. I have no doubts.

Jane

This sounds like absolutely the perfect plan: you get to spend a lot of time with Desi, he's in an environment he knows and is comfortable with, and he is being cared for by his mom and knowledgeable people he also knows. And if in spite of all this it doesn't work out, you will know you have done all you can. :grouphug

Guest MnMDogs
:yay :yay

I used http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness_2?sc=2&category=1131]this harness f[/url]or Loca and it's great. It has a handle on top.

We have this one too for Mork. It's wonderful... Best of luck with your boy!!

Oh jeez, I didn't read the second page... What a roller coaster :(. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts

Edited by MnMDogs

Desi update: I HAVE HOPE AGAIN!!!! Last night was the longest (well, maybe the 2nd longest after the night I took him in to OSU) night in my

life.....woulda, coulda, shouldas bobbing through my head all night.

I went in to the clinic today & spent most of the day......What a difference a day makes. He got up all on his own, with just a couple of little yelps, walked

outside WITHOUT A SLING (finally getting the hange of the "hop"), took his physical therapy with minimal grumbling, and ate his dinner like a champ.

Even got bored in his "room" so after the clinic closed, I let him come out & take a little stroll down the hallway. That leg is totally non-weight bearing,

but he yanked it away from me during PT, and I take that as a good sign. Now I'm just praying that another clot does NOT rear it's ugly head & ruin

our progress.

My next goal is to make (or bite the bullet & buy) a longer, less steep ramp for the houndmobile. Then I can really plan on getting him home.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Continued good wishes!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yay, Desi!! So glad a day made such a positive difference. We are all rooting for you both. No more clots, okay Desi? Ever. It scares us.

If the ramp goes right down to the ground, you could make the slope easier by raising just the end 6" or so and help Desi up the first "step" and the rest of the way would be at an easier slope. Not sure if this would work or just as a short term thing, but just thinking.

Continued good wishes. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest OPointyDog

I know you must feel helpless, but the plan to work on his strength in an environment where he's comfortable sure seems like a great idea. Best wishes for a continued recovery!! :grouphug

That much progress in one day is a good sign...hopefully he continues to improve and he'll be home with you in no time!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--