Kevin Ate Half A Pencil-Do I Worry?

AEB

I would just watch him personally. When s clients dog ate a mechanical pencil, they did x rays and nothing else. I'd imagine wood is less harmful.

Thank you Sambucca. I plan to watch him. I guessed that there wouldn't be much we could do.

finalsiggy.jpg

Give him a couple of slices of bread. At best it will help cushion the pencil shards, at worst it won't do anything.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Ditto on the bread. Any metal on the eraser end or did he eat the pointy end?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Ditto on the bread. Any metal on the eraser end or did he eat the pointy end?

He ate both ends but this was a type without an eraser. Not even sure where he got it.

We will give him some bread. How much?

What about the gas the bread will cause? I think he chewed it pretty well, fortunately.

Just gave hime a half a slice. He had a stomach full of food when he ate it.

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Since he had already eaten regular food that should help "cushion" any possible sharp points. Won't hurt to give another slice of bread. It would be worth the gas to help protect his innards from any possible pointy pieces.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Give him a couple of slices of bread. At best it will help cushion the pencil shards, at worst it won't do anything.

And how long should I watch him for?

Since he had already eaten regular food that should help "cushion" any possible sharp points. Won't hurt to give another slice of bread. It would be worth the gas to help protect his innards from any possible pointy pieces.

I am just worried about the intestinal distress from the gas.

I can deal with my distress of smelling the gas.

Gave him the other slice and a gas pill.

DH is taking him for a walk right now. He has been instructed to watch the poops and not to let him jog.

Edited by AEB

finalsiggy.jpg

Also, hide all wooden pencils in the house. He's not likely to stop with just one. (My Sam didn't.)

Also, if you knit, hide wooden circulars or DPNs. In some eyes, those are doggie toothpicks.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Also, hide all wooden pencils in the house. He's not likely to stop with just one. (My Sam didn't.)

Also, if you knit, hide wooden circulars or DPNs. In some eyes, those are doggie toothpicks.

I will hide any i see. But I have no idea where he found this one! They are all in the desk (i guess all but one). I take it you have been through this? Did everything "pass" ok? So far he is fine. I, on the other hand, am not fine. He gave me the blood pressure!

finalsiggy.jpg

I will hide any i see. But I have no idea where he found this one! They are all in the desk (i guess all but one). I take it you have been through this? Did everything "pass" ok? So far he is fine. I, on the other hand, am not fine. He gave me the blood pressure!

I caught Sam as he was getting started. I also caught him cracking the plastic sides on a Sharpie permanent black marker (would have been lovely on the carpet). The fun one was the lip liner pencil he took off the dresser when I wasn't home. A little lip-liner on the dog bed--and a lot on Sam himself. No permanent damage to Sam. (Also, plastic pens. And tape of any kind; for the tape, I think the adhesive is attractive.) I also know of a dog that ate a container of dental floss and nearly died from it, so beware.

I bought some decorative metal tins with snug-fitting lids and started securing pens, remote controls, etc., in the tin.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I caught Sam as he was getting started. I also caught him cracking the plastic sides on a Sharpie permanent black marker (would have been lovely on the carpet). The fun one was the lip liner pencil he took off the dresser when I wasn't home. A little lip-liner on the dog bed--and a lot on Sam himself. No permanent damage to Sam. (Also, plastic pens. And tape of any kind; for the tape, I think the adhesive is attractive.) I also know of a dog that ate a container of dental floss and nearly died from it, so beware.

I bought some decorative metal tins with snug-fitting lids and started securing pens, remote controls, etc., in the tin.

Oh floss would send us to the vet tonight. I am hoping a pencil will be softened and pass without incident. But that is a good point - Kevin likes mint.

I was watching a different dog once and he ate my travel alarm clock. It was beyond recognition. The vet gave him some oral lubrication to help things through and he was fine and it was a very hard plastic.

Wow- I guess I will try to realax some.

finalsiggy.jpg

The floss-dog's people didn't know he'd eaten it until he became ill a few days later.

Kevin clearly likes crunchy. And dogs often like the things their people have handled a lot (cellphones), especially if their people handled the things with food smells on their hands--which is why I think TV remotes are popular targets. One friend's greyhound ate her dental retainer. Twice.

The floss-dog's people didn't know he'd eaten it until he became ill a few days later.

Kevin clearly likes crunchy. And dogs often like the things their people have handled a lot (cellphones), especially if their people handled the things with food smells on their hands--which is why I think TV remotes are popular targets. One friend's greyhound ate her dental retainer. Twice.

He gets bully stick all the time. You'd think that would have gotten the urge out! We will watch him. I guess I can relax in a week.

finalsiggy.jpg

Thanks guys. All is well so far. He hasn't been running because of snow and frozen ground so he probably has a bit more energy than usual and is getting into things as a result. I think we are going to start feeding him much of his dinner via a puzzle cube. And we are considering adding a second sometime in the future. He seems to want someone to play with (even though he sees dogs most days on his walks) -we aren't exciting enough.

finalsiggy.jpg

Greyhounds will ingest the darnedest things - I had one that ingested anything plastic, my shoes, boots, reading glasses and last but not least my stockings. Came home from work took them off and folded them to put in the laundry. Later went to take them to the laundry basket they were gone - did I take them up or didn't I. Not in the basket and I looked everywhere for them. Could not find them. Eleven days later Mr. EZ pooped out a long never ending poop. When I checked it it was one of my stockings - off to the ER -x-rays showed the other one still in his stomach - vet said to watch him as they did not operate on the stomach unless they had to. Sure enough the next day a big blob came out and the other stocking appeared.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

My angel girl Stella at half of a CD once (Bark at the Moon by Ozzy ironically), one trip to the vet, 4 slices of bread and no ill effects. In all the years we had her that cd and a pear scented candle were the only things she ever took that weren't hers.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

My angel girl Stella at half of a CD once (Bark at the Moon by Ozzy ironically), one trip to the vet, 4 slices of bread and no ill effects. In all the years we had her that cd and a pear scented candle were the only things she ever took that weren't hers.

Rainey ate 1/2 a CD too! and many, many other things. I got quite good at poo-poking in the back yard :lol

Kevin should be fine. Kevin :shakefinger

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway