Easy To Digest Protein

Guest Celestrina

Guest Celestrina

Angie has been having a problem with the big D. What protein would you recommend? I've heard lamb is considered too rich. She can't have chicken or eggs, so no Iams. Raw is out. She was on Acana Ranchlands.

Guest DeniseL

I have no advice here, but I will be intersted in how more experineced owners will respond. Miami has recently been diagnosed with IBS, and he is now on Royal Canin HP (and Tylan) and is doing much better...but I hope to not have to keep him on it forever...

You're assuming that the diarrhea is a result of the protein source. Which may or may not be true.

And there is no right answer to this question. What works for my dog might not work for yours, and vice versa. I don't think any one source is any "easier to digest" than another.

Have you tried a round of Panacur?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Do you want a prepared food or one to cook yourself??

Also, you should consider whether her problem is the protein source or the carb source in the food.

There are several commercial foods that use unique protein/carb - duck and sweet potato, duck and pea, buffalo, venison, and various seafood versions. You may not be able to use duck if she has issues with poultry.

For home cooking, many people have had good success using tilapia. You can also try boiling or frying and rinsing hamburger. You want to get as much fat out of the meat as you can. If you use ground lamb/mutton and rinse it it will probably be not that different from hamburger, as it's the fat content in lamb that makes it "rich."

Carb sources include boiled brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and plain pasta. Rice would be my LAST choice as it's harder to digest and sometimes in dog's with stomach/intestinal issues it just passes right through. Cook the carb source with some non-fat broth to make it more palatable.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest undergreysspell

Mine had problems with chicken and I tried proplan sensitive stomach - the protein is salmon. Her poop firmed right up and has been perfect ever since.

Guest Celestrina

I am willing to try purina Pro Plan, but it has "animal fat" and "animal digest". With her sensitivity I am worried about not knowing what animals they use. Am I over thinking this?

Guest 2greys2cats
Angie has been having a problem with the big D. What protein would you recommend? I've heard lamb is considered too rich. She can't have chicken or eggs, so no Iams. Raw is out. She was on Acana Ranchlands.

Have you tried a novel protein like bison or venison in a no grain/limited ingredient food?

I've always wondered why people say lamb is too rich or is fatty. I've googled it and never come up with anything. It's probably something I should post separately lol.

PS Not sure I'd use ProPlan. :/

Edited by 2greys2cats

Guest Celestrina

Just tried Nature's Variety Prairie Venison (venison and turkey are the proteins) and it seemed like it isn't sitting well. She is just finishing a round of flagyl. I'll try this food another day and see how it goes.

Guest 2greys2cats
I am willing to try purina Pro Plan, but it has "animal fat" and "animal digest". With her sensitivity I am worried about not knowing what animals they use. Am I over thinking this?

Just tried Nature's Variety Prairie Venison (venison and turkey are the proteins) and it seemed like it isn't sitting well. She is just finishing a round of flagyl. I'll try this food another day and see how it goes.
That's a very rich food with a LOT of ingredients. I would try Natural Balance. It has one protein and one carb. Edited by 2greys2cats

I have tried many many different brands and proteins to try to find what would help the pudding poop with my guy. After having 3 fecal samples tested and all being negative, through trial and error it seems there must be some grain or something that bothers his system. I have had the best luck with Natures Variety Instinct Grain Free Limited Ingredient Lamb - one protein combined with one simple starch.

As many of us here will testify, there is no one universal food that works for all. It is more a matter of trying different things. And then the fun begins when what worked for a while, doesn't anymore! Usually in our case it is a treat or something, but as long as I know that is the case, I don't worry about it.

I feed Nutro Venison and Brown Rice. It's served me very well over the last 4 years as I wanted something I could have both G+F on, avoiding both corn and poultry, and with a protien content at 20% or so.

We've always had sensitive tummies here so I understand the quest for the perfect food.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest 2greys2cats
And she just had another runny poop.

I really recommend a one protein-one carb food like natural balance. Try sweet potato and fish or lamb and rice. They have other novel proteins as well. Add Perfect Form to her food too. It's a digestive calmer. Not a probiotic, which some dogs can't handle.

Edited by 2greys2cats

Guest 2greys2cats
I am going to try a novel protein. She is also going to see the vet this morning just to be sure there isn 't something else going on.

Good luck... trying a food with very few ingredients (Limited Ingredient Diet) would probably be best, and then stick with it for at least a week to see if there is any improvement. Don't add pumpkin, yogurt, etc because oftentimes that makes the stools worse.