Brrrr...walking Alternative

Guest kerber

We got a new girl about a month ago. We keep her to a potty/walk schedule and all has been well, until the recent cold snap (-10, not to mention windchill). Before the coldness, we would make sure to walk her/dog park her like crazy to keep her tired and from getting into mischief while we are at work.

Blue had no interest staying out any longer than necessary the other night, taking care of business at 10:30 pm (the usual, and making it until morning). However, at 1 a.m. I awake to the sound of her peeing in the bedroom. First accident in the house. Next day she discovered some papers to nibble on, also a first. We baby gate her in a section of the house, FYI.

Question: what's up with the random 1 am pee session-was it too cold to let it all out at 10:39? Is there an alternative to getting this girl her exercise when it is so freaking cold out?

I sympathize! I adopted Truman, a 15-week-old puppy around this same time last year. When he came home, there was snow on the ground and temps were frigid. I kicked myself for adopting a new dog (let alone a puppy!) in the middle of winter. As expected, he was very difficult to housetrain because he would literally just stand outside shivering, then pee five minutes after we got back inside. I did copious amounts of research on housetraining, but unfortunately, there really isn't an alternative. Just persistence and a warm coat.

When a dog has an accident in the house, it's like a snowball effect. They begin to prefer going in the house (and who could blame them in this weather?) So it's going to be really important over the next few days that you supervise her very closely. Only reprimand if you catch her in the act (clap your hands to get her attention and give a clear "No!") If you can't be there to supervise, make sure she's either crated or confined. Reward like crazy when she pees outside. And try to keep exercise as consistent as possible. Good luck getting through winter!

Does Blue have a coat suitable for very cold weather?

My guys don't want to go out unless they have their fleecy jackets on.

They all have mid weight coats for chilly days and heavy weight ChilliDogs coats for really cold days.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Are there big-box stores that you could take her to for some exercise? Out here it's the heat that causes issues, and on those days, I take the dogs shopping at Lowe's. Wander up and down the aisles for a bit, do some downs/sits, greet people if your dog is social. It can make for a nice change of pace.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Bundle up and carry on.

I have no yard, and thus no alternative 365 days of the year, come rains, snow, wind, etc.

George's bladder doesn't know or care if the weather is cold. If he doesn't stay on schedule, he has accidents.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'm with George of NE. 4x/day 365 days a year, whatever the weather, and it gets freaking cold here too. After a while you do learn how much "going" is enough for your dog. Probably after you've had her longer she'll get better at holding it too, but she is still new and you have to prioritize keeping a regular potty schedule.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest karilynn

It's rough, man. I can sympathize. I live in MN and it's cold, cold, cold. Thankfully, my boy will still do his business outside. I don't have a yard as I live in an apartment and when it's really cold, he will actually pee on the SIDEWALK because he doesn't want to stay outside. Then he drags me back to the door - like get me the heck out of this freezing cold! Can't say I blame him.

I guess you'll have to bundle up and wait until she goes. Give treats and be brave. Hahaha... you'll live through it with a little persistence and a very warm coat.

I admire both of you! After we got Henry, we made it all of four months before putting up a fence. Henry was fine, but I'd had enough! :lol

Having a dog with no yard is a huge committment, it really is! Specially when you live alone and there is no one else to share the load.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Having a dog with no yard is a huge committment, it really is! Specially when you live alone and there is no one else to share the load.

GeorgeofNE and PrairieProf ... the few, the proud, the yardless, the single, the "yeah there's a reason we only have one hound".... :D

(OK I do have a tiny yard without direct access but I rarely use it, as Beth mostly sniffs around looking for rabbit poop and doesn't get down to business. It's nice in a blizzard or for training games on occasion.)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I'm with those with no alternative to walking. And I'm not looking forward to the projected high of -1 on Monday, nor the lows of -10 and windchills anticipated between -20 and -40! This is going to be like the year we got Monty, and it was miserable back then too because he was too shy to want to potty when on leash, and that was the only option for him.

If it gets too cold, you would probably want to do what we did that very cold, miserable winter: take her out on leash, walk and hope for a potty, and if you (plural) get too cold, go back in and warm up but not undress/unleash, and as soon as you can feel all body parts, go right back out and do it again. And reward as best you can for being productive outside (Monty also wouldn't eat when on leash at that point, and there was no possibility of "parties" because it would make him freeze up...no pun intended).

(Even if you have a backyard, you may want to be out there with her to be certain she's done everything.)

Good luck!

Guest HeatherStrubler
I sympathize! I adopted Truman, a 15-week-old puppy around this same time last year. When he came home, there was snow on the ground and temps were frigid. I kicked myself for adopting a new dog (let alone a puppy!) in the middle of winter. As expected, he was very difficult to housetrain because he would literally just stand outside shivering, then pee five minutes after we got back inside. I did copious amounts of research on housetraining, but unfortunately, there really isn't an alternative. Just persistence and a warm coat.

When a dog has an accident in the house, it's like a snowball effect. They begin to prefer going in the house (and who could blame them in this weather?) So it's going to be really important over the next few days that you supervise her very closely. Only reprimand if you catch her in the act (clap your hands to get her attention and give a clear "No!") If you can't be there to supervise, make sure she's either crated or confined. Reward like crazy when she pees outside. And try to keep exercise as consistent as possible. Good luck getting through winter!

I agree that it is a snowball effect. This happened with my foster Bravado we had last year. He was 16 months old and stuuuubbooorrnnn! He peed in the house the first night we had him and from then on it didnt stop. We would walk him, and walk him, and walk him only to have him pee right after we came in or in the middle of the night. We would take his favorite treats outside with us when we went to potty and would give him a treat as soon as he went(if he did)-I have heard that greyhounds dont respond well to negative attention, but when you have a dog thats peeing a gallon sized puddle on your floor, you HAVE to stop it. We did the 'clapping" and said NO as soon as we saw him start to 'squat' and would rush him outside(usually too late) but at least we were showing him that inside was bad and outside was where the pee went! He had to go to another foster(due to a sudden death in my family) before we got him under control, but we were seeing improvements. Patients is the only advice I can give. Or if you are up for it, set 1 or 2 alarms on your phone for the middle of the night for pee breaks for 2-3 nights. I did this with my Daisy the first few nights I had her and had no accidents. Its not the easiest thing to do but it saved my carpet ;)

Best of luck to you :) Stay toasty :)

Guest Plygreygirl

We are in Ma. and I have a yard but it is not fenced. So it's twice a day 365. I have been doing it for like 16 years! And yes I have been out in every weather you can come up with! But it is a commitment I made to my girls! There are times when it is so cold and or wet and I question my self but they need outside time and it's everyday no matter what. So get a warm coat for the dog and extra warm one for your self and just go until she goes!

GeorgeofNE and PrairieProf ... the few, the proud, the yardless, the single, the "yeah there's a reason we only have one hound".... :D

Add me to that club. It's a pain in the patoot, but SO worth it when you get back & snuggle!

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Are there big-box stores that you could take her to for some exercise? Out here it's the heat that causes issues, and on those days, I take the dogs shopping at Lowe's. Wander up and down the aisles for a bit, do some downs/sits, greet people if your dog is social. It can make for a nice change of pace.

I do the same thing when it's too hot out to walk.....we go "shopping" at Lowes.

Guest Giselle

In regards to the exercise aspect, though... I'm a pretty active person by nature and like to keep active dogs around me, so there are several things you can do in cold weather:

- brave it. I take my dog running in the rain and cold. It doesn't snow here, but I expect that we could continue to run despite snow (provided we have the right gear)

- treadmill. If you've never trained a dog to walk/run on a treadmill, I would suggest doing so only under the supervision of a veterinarian or experienced trainer. In seriously desperate times, I would put the dog on a treadmill for 15-20 minutes with hawk-eye supervision.

- brief agility exercises. If you're familiar with agility, there is a lot of foundational groundwork that goes into a well-chiseled agility dog. There are lots of turn patterns and handling techniques to practice, and 3 makeshift jumps in a living room or empty garage are all you need.

- teach a cool trick or practice obedience skills. Examples: do rally-obedience drills in your garage or teach: open the door, close the door, retrieve something, hold something in mouth, place head on floor, turn on the lights, etc.

- do you know someone with an indoor pool? That would be my dream exercise for both me and the pup :)

Edited by Giselle

Guest lanielovesgreys

When I lived in Dallas there was a sweet indoor dog park. Nike turf which was pee/poo friendly and a huge space to run. In Dallas the prohibitive weather is in the summer, but still. I think this could be a profitable idea in the north east.

If where you live is cold for a few months of every year, I suggest you buy a proper coat for your dog, if you haven't already. I live in Québec, where the temperature is below 0 c for 5 months every year, so finding an alternative way to exercise is not an option. We just put on warm clothes and go on a walk twice a day, every day, even if I get frost on my eyelashes... Romy has a warm coat, the inside is lined with fleece and the outside is waterproof and windproof.

We however go on shorter walks when it's really cold (they announce -23 c for this evening...), because Romy's paws start to get too cold from walking on ice after 10 minutes or so. She usually gets very long walks during summer or she gets restless, but we took progressively shorter walks as the temperature got colder, and she got used to it and she is fine now!

p.s. sorry if some sentences are weird, english isn't my first language.

When I lived in Dallas there was a sweet indoor dog park. Nike turf which was pee/poo friendly and a huge space to run. In Dallas the prohibitive weather is in the summer, but still. I think this could be a profitable idea in the north east.

Yep, we have a few indoor parks in Pittsburgh. Some have K9 Grass, which is like turf, but has a plumbing system underneath that absorbs the pee and allows you to just hose the poop off. We don't use them too much because the closest one is still 45 minutes away. But I think you're right. This would be a wonderful and very profitable idea for areas that experience the winter season.

Another possibility for exercise in the winter is an indoor horseback riding arena.

My boys are fine out in the cold and I like it too so we just carry on as usual. My female is not as fond of the cold.

I take her out on leash first thing when I get home from work. We have a fenced yard but left to her own devices

she will not go out if it is cold. She does in the morning but not at night. So I leash her up and take her out before she eats. After dinner she looks to go out at 7:30 to 8PM then again at 10. Keep her on schedule and she is fine.