Let's Talk Diaper Rash

Ok guys.....my sensitive Dustin has no hair around his private part.....and often gets very clammy and sweaty in those creases between his hind legs and his "hoo hoo". A few nights ago, I noticed it was very red and raw looking - for lack of a better word it looks like what I think would be diaper rash (I don't have kids, so I'm not quite sure that I know what I'm talking about.) I really think it is sweat related, but he has never had it before.

Caught one of the girls at the vet's office who suggested gold bond powder....I thought about Desitin, but I am afraid of him licking it.

What do you guys think?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I've never liked Desitin.

Go to a feed store and pick up some Corona. It is a salve that works wonders. I used it on my kids for diaper rash and it is actually a salve for cattle and horses. Or you could also pick up some bag balm, very similar and also works great.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Thanks, Beth. the Bag Balm won't sting?

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest greybookends

I do not know much about salves as I have never liked them. To me they keep a rash moist and I am trying to dry it up, so I never even used them on my kids. I used plain ole cornstarch. It dries up the rash and if he licks it it will not make him sick.

Thanks, Beth. the Bag Balm won't sting?

Nope, doesn't sting.

As to the moisture, even in the hospital we always use a moisture barrier to heal wounds and rashes. Wounds need moisture to heal from the inside out. As the wound or rash starts to dissipate you use less and less salve.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Just a note - dogs don't sweat (except from their feet). Is he licking the area? If he is, you may want to try to keep him away from it until the area heals. You might also want to have a vet look at it and make sure it's not a staph infection. Good luck!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

That's what's interesting, Meredith. If he is sleeping for a while, and I lift his back leg, that area is all sticky and clammy.....this was even true before the rash. It's almost like the skin sticks to itself where it creases. The other day his little hoo hoo wuz kind of sticking to the inside of the leg. He has absolutely no hair on the inside of those legs...just very sensitive pink skin.

That's what's interesting, Meredith. If he is sleeping for a while, and I lift his back leg, that area is all sticky and clammy.....this was even true before the rash. It's almost like the skin sticks to itself where it creases. The other day his little hoo hoo wuz kind of sticking to the inside of the leg. He has absolutely no hair on the inside of those legs...just very sensitive pink skin.

Almost sounds like he is having some kind of discharge from his penis that might be the cause. Might be worth having your vet swab the area and send it in to culture.

Just a note - dogs don't sweat (except from their feet). Is he licking the area? If he is, you may want to try to keep him away from it until the area heals. You might also want to have a vet look at it and make sure it's not a staph infection. Good luck!

Thank you Meredith! I was going to say the same thing. Dogs don't have any sweat glands anywhere near the "hoo hoo" area, so it's either discharge from his sheath, or he's licking himself.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

the gold bond or ammen's foot powder will dry the area out. i've used it on raw chaffed sand burned webbing that just wouldn't heal. it works really quickly. the bag balm will keep the moisture in. balmex or other baby ointments(desitin) are excellent for fungus inbetween the toes, that's when they get red and inflamed. the thick zinc ointment alway works really fast on helping cracked fingers heal during the winter on humans. but it sounds like your vet is first trying to dry the area out, don't worry, he won't get sick licking it,(felix has licked a ton of medicated powder and is still here!) a muzzle w/ stool guard or tape will stop that action promptly. i personally would go w/ what my vet suggests first.

I agree w/going with what the vet suggests...the problem is that the girl who answered the phone and suggested it is not the vet - and is the one person who answers the phone there that I don't trust. She says, "that's what we tell everyone to use on hot spots"..... I didn't ask what she tells everyone on hot spots.....And, I hate to hound them over something this "small".....so I didn't call back figuring enough people here have experiences to share on something like this.

I am glad to hear that someone has used the Gold Bond, though. That's what I was wondering given that I don't trust her much.

Guest budsmom

We had this same issue with a foster dog just recently. It was along her tummy, she had had major surgery to remove several tumors. The vet suggested powder and cold cloths and it cleared up in a couple days.

Michele, I will try to get photos....

He seemed to like the feeling of the corn starch on it.

I don't think it is discharge from his hoo as I have seen nothing of any sort to indicate that...this is strictly a clammy feeling....I could more believe that he is licking it and it stays damp inside the creases of skin.....of course, that would lend itself to yeast.

Edited by mychip1

I may have missed it, but can you get him over to the vet for a look-see? Could be yeast, could be staph, could just be lick irritation, but you won't know exactly until a vet looks at it and prescribes appropriate treatment (and yeast and bacterial would require different treatments). Hope you can get to the bottom of it quickly :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks, Meredith.....I was thinking that yeast may need something different.

I will say that the redness eases off if he leaves it alone, so I am thinking it is more lick irritation.

He did very much like the cornstarch on it.

I agree w/going with what the vet suggests...the problem is that the girl who answered the phone and suggested it is not the vet - and is the one person who answers the phone there that I don't trust. She says, "that's what we tell everyone to use on hot spots"..... I didn't ask what she tells everyone on hot spots.....And, I hate to hound them over something this "small".....so I didn't call back figuring enough people here have experiences to share on something like this.

I am glad to hear that someone has used the Gold Bond, though. That's what I was wondering given that I don't trust her much.

the receptionist didn't put you on hold and ask the vet???? huh???

i would dust it and watch, my dogs irritations cleared up almost instaniously w/ medicated powder. if it's not looking better by monday then it sounds like he will have to share his apparatus w/ his vet...a man to man discussion.either antiobiotics or what ever might be in line.

(didn't you commission a painting of a furry golden by dh? and we never got to meet at charlestown beach? )

btw, from what i remember cornstarch was frowned upon when my dd was a baby- the word was it increased the chance of a yeast infection. go medicated, that kills off everything and NOT the dog.

Edited by cleptogrey

the receptionist didn't put you on hold and ask the vet???? huh???

i would dust it and watch, my dogs irritations cleared up almost instaniously w/ medicated powder. if it's not looking better by monday then it sounds like he will have to share his apparatus w/ his vet...a man to man discussion.either antiobiotics or what ever might be in line.

(didn't you commission a painting of a furry golden by dh? and we never got to meet at charlestown beach? )

btw, from what i remember cornstarch was frowned upon when my dd was a baby- the word was it increased the chance of a yeast infection. go medicated, that kills off everything and NOT the dog.

Yes...that was me....they love the portrait!

As far as the vet...yes...she just gave her opinion. The other girl there has huge dog experience, so if she made the suggestion, I would be more comfortable, but frankly, I don't always agree with the advice this one gives just based on my own experience......Because it hasn't seemed to deteriorate, I haven't called back and pushed the issue.

I may have missed it, but can you get him over to the vet for a look-see? Could be yeast, could be staph, could just be lick irritation, but you won't know exactly until a vet looks at it and prescribes appropriate treatment (and yeast and bacterial would require different treatments). Hope you can get to the bottom of it quickly :)

Can't agree more--and yes, dogs don't have sweat glands (tis why they pant). If I had to guess it may be a staph infection-he may need oral antibiotics in conjunction with topical treatment.