Vomiting In His Muzzle

Due to Truman's happy tail surgery and LONG recovery, we are keeping him muzzled with a stool guard when we're not home. That way, he can still drink water and go out the doggie door, but he can't lick at his tail. We have to do something because he is very obsessive about licking/biting his tail- as soon as the muzzle comes off, he goes straight for it. The weird part is that he's been vomiting more and more frequently. It only happens when the muzzle is on. Prior to use, I washed the muzzle and stool guard and soaked them in hot water (no chemicals, just a tiny bit of Dawn). Each time he vomits, I wash it again. It's not a lot of vomit, and it doesn't seem to be chunks of his food coming back up- mainly just water and stomach acid. After he gets one good gag, he's usually done.

This has increased to about every other day, sometimes daily. Nothing else has changed regarding diet, exercise, or meds. I'm thinking the muzzle may be causing something to be off with his gag reflex? He is AKC, never raced, never wore a muzzle prior to this. Any thoughts?

Is this a regular kennel turnout muzzle? Make sure it's not too tight. His nose shouldn't be pressing into the end of the muzzle when he's standing still. It should have some wiggle room up and down, but not be too loose that he can get it off easily. An AKC hounds head is (a little) different so check the chin strap area that it's not pressing into his neck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Pepcid?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is this a regular kennel turnout muzzle? Make sure it's not too tight. His nose shouldn't be pressing into the end of the muzzle when he's standing still. It should have some wiggle room up and down, but not be too loose that he can get it off easily. An AKC hounds head is (a little) different so check the chin strap area that it's not pressing into his neck.

Yep, I think this is it. His head is shaped a little differently, so on one notch, his nose is sort of squished, but it fits good in the ears. On the next one up, his nose is okay, but it's looser in the ears. It's not perfect, but I'm going to loosen it up a notch. He's still not able to get it off.

I'd be concerned about the aspiration of vomit and fluids into his lungs.

:nod If he has one bigger vomit with a stool guard on it can be bad news.

As much as I hate e-collars it might be a safer bet. There are padded versions as well as donut types that are way better than the old school plastic lampshades and depending on how wide you dog door is he might be able to go through.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I was taught to not leave a muzzle with a stool guard on when hound is not supervised. Worst case scenario: Hound could potentially choke/drown to death from fluid getting caught in stool guard. Even more risky if hound happens to vomit food + fluid while standing up and hanging head towards floor (typical dog vomiting position) which could create full blockage of tiny holes in stool guard. Sometimes, the plastic muzzle blocks stool guard holes. (Can be seen by looking inside stool guard if guard is placed on inside of turnout muzzle.)

Even when stool guard is dry and hound is lying down resting, the stool guard/muzzle is sometimes pushed up against the nose, making it hard to breathe normally.