Pooping Blood!

well, we are off to the vet, please send good vibes. the past few days Bacardi has had severe/watery poo. She usually gets a very upset tummy because of eating something she shouldnt have and it goes away after a day or two but now it has progressed to the point where she is now pooping just blood. I'm really not sure what this could be. I recently vaccinated her on wednesday and she got ill shortly afterwards, maybe it's a reaction? anyway, we will know more when we go to the vet as soon as they open this morning. wish us luck.

"I recently vaccinated her on wednesday and she got ill shortly afterwards, maybe it's a reaction?"

Probably, but they'll never admit it. The fact is that with the majority of vaccines the odds of the dog getting sick from the vaccine are MUCH higher than the odds of them getting the disease you are vaccinating for. Better think long and hard before vaccinating her again. Check out the research. Its out there and its very credible. Also your vet should never have vaccinated her in the first place since she wasn't well to begin with- but unfortunately that rarely stops them $$$.

Praying for your sweet girl. Poor baby!

"I recently vaccinated her on wednesday and she got ill shortly afterwards, maybe it's a reaction?"

Probably, but they'll never admit it. The fact is that with the majority of vaccines the odds of the dog getting sick from the vaccine are MUCH higher than the odds of them getting the disease you are vaccinating for. Better think long and hard before vaccinating her again. Check out the research. Its out there and its very credible. Also your vet should never have vaccinated her in the first place since she wasn't well to begin with- but unfortunately that rarely stops them $$$.

The reason why the diseases we vaccinate against are rarely seen is precisely because our vaccination programs are so good. In the third world 1 person dies of rabies every 10 minutes. In North America human and pet rabies is incredibly rare. It wouldn't be if we didn't vaccinate. And yes, we may over vaccinate but we don't know exactly how often we need to vaccinate to be protective. The studies don't go that many years out. I wish they did but that's not really in my control unless I want to work for a drug company which isn't an interst of mine. When it comes to rabies I'd rather run the risk of over vaccinating than my pets or myself getting a fatal, untreatable disease.

As to other diseases like parvo and distemper we do see them in unvaccinated dogs. I had half a dozen cases this summer. Unvaccinated dogs. Do I see parvo in vaccinated dogs? Rarely. Parvo is a nasty disease. I'd rather over vaccinate for that one too than have my dog get it.

And no, I don't vaccinate for the money. Vaccines cost the owner about $12. That's not very much. The exam costs a lot more and regardless of whether a dog is due for vaccines it should be seeing its vet for an annual exam, same as you going to see your doctor for a physical. Except a dog going in every year is more like you going to see your doctor every 7.

I'm not trying to be snippy but after 6 years of school, 100 thousand in student debt, being on call and answering worried pet parent phone calls at all hours, and worrying about every single ill patient I have I don't really appreciate the suggestion that I do things for money. Vets are one of the lowest paid professionals and I have just about the same amount of debt and expenses. I do it because I love it, not because I get paid a ridiculous amount. It honestly cuts me to the bone whenever I hear that I don't care and I do it for money. So not trying to be snippy, but just pointing out that I need to live and that that comment honestly really, really hurts.

To the OP: most vaccine reactions occur in the first day after being vaccinated. It is possible but unlikely that the continued diarrhea is due to the vaccination. The initial "getting ill" would be more likely due to the vaccine than her sustained diarrhea. She could have eaten something, picked up a parasite or a bacterial infection. She's a young one so I'd bet she ate something but that's just playing the odds. You can talk to your vet about pre-medicating her with Benadryl before vaccines in future if you're worried about a reaction. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Good thoughts for Bacardi. I hope whatever is the cause you can get it under control and she's on her way to healing quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The reason why the diseases we vaccinate against are rarely seen is precisely because our vaccination programs are so good. In the third world 1 person dies of rabies every 10 minutes. In North America human and pet rabies is incredibly rare. It wouldn't be if we didn't vaccinate. And yes, we may over vaccinate but we don't know exactly how often we need to vaccinate to be protective. The studies don't go that many years out. I wish they did but that's not really in my control unless I want to work for a drug company which isn't an interst of mine. When it comes to rabies I'd rather run the risk of over vaccinating than my pets or myself getting a fatal, untreatable disease.

As to other diseases like parvo and distemper we do see them in unvaccinated dogs. I had half a dozen cases this summer. Unvaccinated dogs. Do I see parvo in vaccinated dogs? Rarely. Parvo is a nasty disease. I'd rather over vaccinate for that one too than have my dog get it.

And no, I don't vaccinate for the money. Vaccines cost the owner about $12. That's not very much. The exam costs a lot more and regardless of whether a dog is due for vaccines it should be seeing its vet for an annual exam, same as you going to see your doctor for a physical. Except a dog going in every year is more like you going to see your doctor every 7.

I'm not trying to be snippy but after 6 years of school, 100 thousand in student debt, being on call and answering worried pet parent phone calls at all hours, and worrying about every single ill patient I have I don't really appreciate the suggestion that I do things for money. Vets are one of the lowest paid professionals and I have just about the same amount of debt and expenses. I do it because I love it, not because I get paid a ridiculous amount. It honestly cuts me to the bone whenever I hear that I don't care and I do it for money. So not trying to be snippy, but just pointing out that I need to live and that that comment honestly really, really hurts.

To the OP: most vaccine reactions occur in the first day after being vaccinated. It is possible but unlikely that the continued diarrhea is due to the vaccination. The initial "getting ill" would be more likely due to the vaccine than her sustained diarrhea. She could have eaten something, picked up a parasite or a bacterial infection. She's a young one so I'd bet she ate something but that's just playing the odds. You can talk to your vet about pre-medicating her with Benadryl before vaccines in future if you're worried about a reaction. Hope she's feeling better soon!

well said! please in the future, as soon as your dog has blood stools or vomiting- CALL YOUR VET, don't wait! my saluki survived parvo- (pre-vaccine days). i saw bloody stools- and had him up at the vet(45min away) pronto. the quick response and acute medical care saved his life. dogs dehyrdate very very quickly. i hope your pup recovers quickly.

reactions to shots are within a short amount of time. my welsh terrier reacted to his last rabies vaccine while i was writing a check at the vet's office- he passed out, triage brought him back. felix had an adverse reaction to his last group of innoculations within an hour of the dhl shot-panting/distress, 2 benadryl and he was back to normal. they do happen, but i agree w/ krissy and still innoculate- benadryl administered before innoculation.

This. It's really disheartening for a vet student such as myself who is going into a huge amount of debt and studying 18 hours a day to learn to care for ill animals, to hear such distain for veterinarians. We don't put ourselves through the stuggles and financial burden for a big pay check. Veterinarians have the highest debt to income ratio of any profession, most of us are not nor ever will be wealthy.

Hope Bacardi is feeling better, and keep us updated!

Probably, but they'll never admit it.

These were my exact first thoughts :(

Hope she feels better soon

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

OK I'll weigh in. My first greyhound became ill 2 days after her annual shots and went from fine gone in just under 48 hours despite the ER vet and Vitamin K.. She was pooping and throwing up blood. Cause of death was explained to me as Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia, possibly vaccine induced. She was 4 and it seems that middle aged bitches are most likely to die from IMHA.

That said, I'd never NOT vaccinate younger dogs. Once my guys get close to ten it is rabies only every 3 years - they've had enough. Around here $12 is the going price for rabies alone. When I worked at the day care we saw reciepts from lots of vets for office call and shots. One vet was over $100 for office call, rabies and DHLPP.

When I was in the waiting room at a vet near me last month I heard the desk tell a hispanic man that his dog would have to come back in one year for another round of shots including rabies. He said "my dog has had two rabies shots, isn't it three years?" and was told "That is what the state says. This office says every year." I almost fainted and we've never been back.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Update. Just got back from the vet. I do have to say that I love my vets office as I just walked in without a phone call to warm them of our arrival. They got her in right away, did not charge us for the office visit ($36) or the fecal exam test ($20) that is great news for my wallet!

15 minutes later I was told Hook Worms and Whip Worms were the culprit! I couldnt not believe it! stunned to say the least as she has always been on a preventative. Poor girl! gave me the dewormer (1 pill now and 1 pill 3 weeks from now) Also have to treat all the other animals in the house as well. I am happy to know that it is not parvo! thank god! I wonder how long she has had them because they sais it may be the reason her tummy has been so sensitive. either way I am glad she is ok.

also to weigh in on the vaccine chit chat, I did not take her to my vet to be vaccinated, I always vaccinate my own animals and the only reason I take thm for a vaccine is for a rabies (because legally I cannot administer it myself)

Guest SoulsMom

Please be careful and watch her closely. Soul and I went to the Evet once because he had some blood in his stools. They gave me flagyl and dewormer. He improved a bit, but a few weeks later he was in the hospital for gastrointestinal bleeding. I could not the believe the amount of blood that was coming out of his butt. Dx was HGE. It's a vague diagnosis but through trial and error I learned that basically he can eat nothing but the prescription I/D or he gets sick again. I say please be careful because it can get very bad very fast. They can die from this quickly. And Soul was mis diagnosed in the beginning with your same dx. . . .

hook worms can be difficult to erradicate, so be diligient and have her stool checked a couple of weeks after the 2nd worming. hopefully she won't have it as long as my salukis did- that was in the days before monthly heart worm meds and they were always reinfecting themself. i'm glad you were taken in, nice vet not to charge you for the exam.