Chewing Items For Teeth

Guest BlackandTan

Guest BlackandTan

I try to keep my pups oral hygiene in pretty good health but as a lot of us know Grey's are doomed for teeth.

They get brushings and dental treats but Im looking for something that they can chew daily that will be good for their teeth and not bad on their belly's..

We got them knee caps over the weekend and they loved them and the way they were grinding on them it was definently doing work on the molars...

Any suggestions on something I could use daily or at least a few times a week would be great..

Thanks

:chow

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luna really likes booda bones. She has a terribly sensitive tummy, but these sit fine with her (it took me forever to find something that didn't make her sick). They have nice textured nubbins that do a really good job of scraping away at plaque.

I would love to try a turkey neck sometime, but have yet to find them around here...

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest grtgreys

The kneecaps are one fo the best that I know of. I have not tried Booda Bones but that sounds like a decent alternative. Bully sticks work well but are expensive. :chow

Guest BlackandTan

I find Bully sticks to be to soft to really affect the teeth... If knee caps are ok for there tummy I will stick to them... I liked the outcome and it made3 for some super quiet houndies for about an hour :)

Raw kneecaps?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Please no smoked or cooked bones! If you can't find turkey necks, try chicken backs. Just cut off excess fat. I get my turkey necks from the butcher at the farmer's market. www.bestbullysticks.com has great prices on bully sticks. I don't find them soft. Marrow bones are readily available in grocery stores.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

A friend of mine gave her dog a smoked bone and $5000 later the blockage was removed. All of the pieces lodged. They scare me!

Marrow bones.

Edited by Nichole

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest BlackandTan

So I guess my next question would be; should I replace a kibble meal with Turkey necks and other raw items or just use as treats? I dont want them to fatten up by using these...

I alternate raw and kibble meals and for the raw meals I keep some kibble down too in case they need some to complete the meal. Turkey necks vary greatly in size, so there's no way to say if your hound will get full or not. But I bet they'll let you know if they're still hungry :chow

Congrats on finding a source where you can get all the raw goodies for them - they'll be so glad you did! And so will their toofers :)

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I get the meaty knee bones at Petsmart (Dentley's brand), and mine love those. Those are good for getting the plaque off. I also like CET Hextra chews- they have chlorahexidine which helps with the bacteria in their mouth. Between those two things, Dental Fresh (water additive), and Petzlife spray after meals, everybody's teeth are really good here. Henry is almost five, and he's never had a dental. The last time I tried giving Henry a raw bone (knuckle bone from the butcher shop), he had the worst case of diarrhea I'd ever seen. He was sick for a week. IMHO, feeding raw is great if that's all you feed. Trying to occasionally give raw bones etc. to a dog that primarily eats kibble doesn't always work out too well, at least in our case.

I bought an antler to try and my dogs love them! I wasn't sure about them when I saw them at the store, but they are a grat source of calcium, all natural, and very hard. They are more pricey but they last a very long time!

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Luna really likes booda bones. She has a terribly sensitive tummy, but these sit fine with her (it took me forever to find something that didn't make her sick). They have nice textured nubbins that do a really good job of scraping away at plaque.

I would love to try a turkey neck sometime, but have yet to find them around here...

Don't know how far you are from Richmond, but I can get turkey necks at Kroger, Food Lion and Walmart. I can get chicken backs sometimes at Kroger and I can get Food Lion to order chicken feet.

My guys get raw beef knuckle bones.

I get them at the local butcher, keep them in the freezer and feed them frozen.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg