What Wet Food Do You Mix In?

Guest 2GreytsMom

Guest 2GreytsMom

By the looks of the polls & some threads, lots of us mix in canned food with the kibble. We've talked about the brands of kibble but I don't see any discussion about the wet food... unless I missed it somewhere? What canned food do you mix in?

Can brands we use:

Pro Plan

Science Diet

Trader Joe's canned brand

Bruiser, Wegmans brand

We switch up our cans all the time. We never change the kibble. Works for us. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest IrskasMom

Natures Choice ....... Chicken and Venison , Green Beans and Sweet Potato.

Wellness ..................Duck , Vegetable and Sweet Potato

Guest Celestrina

Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. Once in a while we'll try something different. Once we tried a rabbit based canned food, but it gave her gas that could make paint peel.

i just add water and that's it! i had a dog who used to suck the canned food off the kibble, talk about a finicky eater. that was the end of canned food. if i'm watching a dog it's a Tablespoon full of canned food or even less. i have found the picky eaters LOVE trader joe's canned food.

I don't use canned - though I have done in the past - I make a stew for them a couple of times a week. I use chicken carcases or wings, turkey legs, beef mince (hamburger meat), whatever happens to be cheap and handy. I throw in a few veggies, or at least a tablespoon of tomato puree, and cook it all for an hour in the pressure cooker on 'high'. After that time, I can mash or grind most of the bone, though not the turkey leg, obviously. It all helps add to the nutritional value!

This will set solid in the fridge, and they get a big spoonful mixed into their usual kibble, with a little hot water.

When we were using canned food, I'd buy Butcher's Tripe, mostly.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FreeholdHound

Harry is a picky eater who refuses to eat at least once a week (makes me crazy). I mix up the wet food add in to try to keep him interested. Natural Balance venison & sweet potato, Whole Earth Farms, I use anything NOT chicken, turkey, fish, or lamb ( he doesn't like) 2tblsp per meal plus a little water.

The only dogs that get canned food mixed in are my two seniors because they quit eating. The rest get kibble with water. I'm not a fan of add in's because every time I tried it my dogs became picky eaters and we had a contest of wills to get them back on their kibble.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

for am, they just get dry kibble.

their big meal of the day...

I have a bucket that I mix dry kibble, sometimes I add one can of wet dog food to it and mix it with some water.

there are days that I will make and freeze homemade food for them to mix in with the dry kibble throughout the week.

my variations may include: venison, hamburger, rice, veggies, pumkin, squash, plain yogurt,

chicken livers.

I like to give them a variety of healthy foods and a variety that wont make them picky eaters.

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Just a heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin in the morning, mixed in the kibble with hot water. Evenings I use low fat unflavored yogurt. At this point Tipper eats just about everything she tries (even lettuce with balsamic dressing). I don't want to encourage her to be picky though.

Just a heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin in the morning, mixed in the kibble with hot water. Evenings I use low fat unflavored yogurt. At this point Tipper eats just about everything she tries (even lettuce with balsamic dressing). I don't want to encourage her to be picky though.

Quick hijack---I see your from Clifton--please join us on Sunday mornings at Van Saun Park 9 am--we have a bunch of folks that gather there for a get together and walk. The hounds love it!

Ok-hijack over :-)

I mix in a number of different types of cans - whatever looks yummy. He has had rabbit, and likes that. and buffalo too. I also make meatloaf (beef & turkey) in a tray, cut in squares, freeze, and take out one each night for him too. Kibble always stays the same.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I haven't really thought about mixing in canned food for Sammi. Usually she gets part of whatever meal I am making mixed in.

(If I am making myself some eggs in the morning, she gets an egg, too. If I am making dinner, I may save her some of the meat/protein before I start seasoning/preparing it.)

Otherwise, it's hot water (otherwise she hoovers and chokes) coconut oil (after work), and her glucosamine (evenings).

Edited by Gryffenne

Guest GreyFan09

We usually buy cans of Pedigree or Alpo Beef or Chicken by the case from Sam's Club. He only gets a tablespoon or two mixed into his kibble. Oh, and he likes it warmed up ;-)

I've tried Iams in the green can, Nutro Chicken and Oatmeal, and Pedigree from Sams Club. I've had good results with all of them. I would recommend anything that's not too rich (lots of people say Blue Buffalo gives gas) and only give a little bit at a time.

Edited by a_daerr

By the looks of the polls & some threads, lots of us mix in canned food with the kibble. We've talked about the brands of kibble but I don't see any discussion about the wet food... unless I missed it somewhere? What canned food do you mix in?

I never give canned food to my dogs, unless you count a small tin of sardines in oil which is great for their coats a couple of times a week. All my dogs have been fine with dry kibble except Bobby. I mix mince in with it but he likes a cup of water added too. The kibble hasn't been standing in the water long enough to soften it as I pour it on when I serve up his food and he loves it.