Jaundice In Greyhounds

My Santannah was vomiting this past week. She went to the vet where they gave her a shot for her vomiting and told us to withhold food which we did.

Started her on rice Friday,she ate it all and some Friday night. She was drinking very little. They told us if she got where she would not drink bring her back.

Today-this morning she would not eat,called the vet, I told him she was still drinking a little. He said to watch her if she got worst bring her in Monday.

Well, I took her out to pee and saw it was still dark (dehydration) then I noticed the inside of her ears were pale yellow, I then looked at her eyes, pale yellow.

We tried calling the vet back, got emergency vet. Took her there. He said yes she looked jaundice, he did bloodwork and will take xrays. Push on her back and said it did not feel good. She has lost some weight, just turned 11 in July. He was also going to give her an IV for dehydration

He is not that greyhound savvy. He did say her teeth did not look greyt.

Thanks for any advice.

Hugs

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 33.09 KB (33,886 bytes) file size.

Darlene and Garon with Selena-JCKC 5/23/2005 & Mosa-RDR 2/5/2010

Missing Santannah Belle-NSRA 7/7/2001- 9/6/2012

Guest Downtownhoundz

Darlene, my vet is very greyhound savy and has worked extensively with greyhounds in Kansas. PM me if you would like her name & phone number...she is in Bristow. Hope everything turns out well for your baby...XXOO

My first greyhound Little Girl died of Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia. I'll never get her yellow eyes and gums out of my mind.

Run a Coombs test. I know they tried vitamin K for her before she got too bad but she went very fast.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Yup, the 2 previous posts cover the main possibilities that cause jaundice in dogs - liver disease or breakdown of red blood cells (RBC). The yellow color is from an increased level of bilirubin in the blood. The liver processes bilirubin, so if the liver isn't functioning properly, it builds up in the bloodstream. The destruction of RBCs also releases bilirubin into the bloodstream, often too fast for the liver to clear. Basic bloodwork should distinguish between these 2 causes, and then additional tests may need to be done to figure out what's causing the liver disease or the destruction of RBCs.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Yes, I've seen jaundice firsthand in Daisy a couple of years ago. Since Daisy is white, her "armpits" looked like the fatty bits on an uncooked chicken. Her ears and eyes were also yellow.

She had an acute liver issue, but we never found the cause. Her blood wasn't clotting right either, so they didn't do a liver biopsy because they worried about bruising. Some of her blood values were off-the-charts bad. She spent four days in ICU at the e-vets. It cost $2,200.

We had an abdominal ultrasound done recently, and she has some residual scarring on her liver from the event. She also has early stage kidney disease, which I think might be related to that event, but I'm not certain if the vet said that or if I made that up in my own head.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Thanks for all the comments. We are still waiting to hear something today.

Anne- I will PM you. Thanks.

Hugs to all

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 33.09 KB (33,886 bytes) file size.

Well we just got her labs back. Billirubin high, also Thyroid. Her xray showed something pushing on her spine above the liver. Hard to see exactly what it is. Her labs were really high. Her stool had some blood too.

Gave her shot of antibiotics and shot for vomiting.

That's all I know right now.

Omyability, my first greyhound, had some light chemo and then a few months later started turning yellow. She had high liver values - off the chart. I put her on three liver supplements. Standard Process Hepatic Support, Sam-E, and another Chinese herb from my homeopathic vet. I fed her five times a day and the only thing she would eat was cooked buffalo. She pulled out of it after two months. The Standard Process Hepatic support works really well. I have had a lot of success with the SP Renal Support.

Thanks so much for all the posts. Tomorrow she goes for more bloodwork and an IV.

She is eating and drinking some. She will be getting her ultrasound too.

Hugs to all,

Santannah got really sick last night. Threw up all her food(chicken, rice, broth.) plus a bunch of blood.

Today she went back to a new vet, received IV sedation which seemed to help a lot.

She was also put on denmarine-SP? for her liver. We will give her IV sedation at home until she goes back Tuesday for her ultrasound.

She is on something for coating her esphogus and intestines, plus something to keep her from vomiting.

They also took new blood work and gave her a B12 shot.

Tonight we gave her a bag of IV solution and she is resting. From what I can see the IV is helping.

Hugs to all, Thanks again.

Darlene

Denamarin is a greyt product-just remember as its poorly absorbed keep the tablets in the blister pack until right before you administer it. Also it's best to give it on an empty tummy preferably first thing in the a.m. before breakfast and other medications.

You may want to talk to your vet about giving Cerenia to make her tummy feel better.

Shame you have to wait until Tuesday for the ultrasound.

Sorry just re read your post-sounds like she may be taking carafate and perhaps Cerenia already.

Edited by tbhounds

Denamarin is a greyt product-just remember as its poorly absorbed keep the tablets in the blister pack until right before you administer it. Also it's best to give it on an empty tummy preferably first thing in the a.m. before breakfast and other medications.

You may want to talk to your vet about giving Cerenia to make her tummy feel better.

Shame you have to wait until Tuesday for the ultrasound.

Sorry just re read your post-sounds like she may be taking carafate and perhaps Cerenia already.

Touting Denamarin also. I just came from a consult with our Internal Vet and we discussed Denamairn. Needs to be on an empty tummy about 2 hours without food and no food for another 2 hours. Denamairn needs to move to the small intestines for it to break down and provide the most good. The empty tummy and the way the tabs are formulated helps ensure this happens. Keep the tabs sealed in the blister pack until right before giving it. Good luck.

I would also strongly consider Hills Liver Diet for her food. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Oh, Darlene, I wish I had some advice for you. I'm so sorry that Santannah is going through this. Doug and I are sending you lots of prayers and good thoughts, and hoping for a positive update.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thanks Nancy and everyone:)

Last night was a better one. She ate some chicken and carrots. The IV is really giving her a boost. She would not eat this morning.

We are still giving her the fluids untils she goes for the ultrasound. To me she does not look as yellow, but that could be wishful thinking.

Hugs to all.

Sending good thoughts for you girl. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Santannah finally get her ultrasound tomorrow at 8.

So hopefully we can finally get to the bottom of this.

Hugs to all

Look in Remembrance:(

The jaundice was from her bile duct getting blocked from the cancer.

Thanks everyone for all your well wishes.

Hugs