Turkey Necks

I think it also depends on whether or not you're raw feeding and if the turkey neck is part of the meal or a treat. In our case, Summer is kibble-fed and it's a treat. I get GIANT turkey necks and cut them in half and freeze them. Summer then gets a piece every weekend.

I'm interested, too, in how many people tend to feed. And if they are treats or part of the meal.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

like said previously, are you talking as a treat?

raw-fed here; I feed whole meat in the morning, doing a rotation of chicken legs, turkey necks, fish...

Otis have no problem with turkey so he can have it everyday withour problem ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I guess I give them as a meal, because they will not eat anything after they eat the necks. I have a big problem with their food. Would like to feed raw, but they seem to want to vary their foods. Sometimes they will go 2-3 days without eating. I used to worry to death, but have given up on that. I offer food and if they don't want it, oh well.

You could feed a neck daily to replace a kibble meal if your dogs are fine with it (the high bone level tends to really firm up the poop...maybe too much for some dogs!). If you are feeding raw it is much too boney for a balanced diet and the other meal would have to contain boneless meats, organs, ingredients etc.

You can feed some green tripe with it, to help with the potential bone/poop issue. I tend to give Summer her neck in the early to mid-afternoon and she would get the tripe with her dinner at 6pm. She's adjusted now and I don't need to give the tripe any more.

Lisa B.

Guest DylanGospel

I give mine two or three turkey necks a week and cut out the raw stew beef for the evening meal. I also add sweet potato and/or green beans to their evening meal of Taste of the Wild. In the morning they just get kibble along with an occasional raw egg.

I also supplement with glucosomine chondroitin (1200/800) and alternate fish oil with vitamin E.

Hester gets a half of a huge Turkey neck every day. If the neck is a bit smaller he will get a whole one. Gone in 30 seconds. The neck is fed as a snack between meals. FWIW Hester is a 90 lb dog with a fast metabolism who gets 3 hours of walks per day. The rest of his diet is half raw half kibble.

Guest 2GreytsMom

Can I ask a stupid question? Where do you get turkey necks?? or chicken feet?? I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere!

They seem like great treats... do they sell them at the grocery store or do you have to go to a butcher shop?

Also, the bones are so soft that they don't catch in their throats or anywhere else on the way out?? :dunno

Can I ask a stupid question? Where do you get turkey necks?? or chicken feet?? I don't think I've ever seen them anywhere!

They seem like great treats... do they sell them at the grocery store or do you have to go to a butcher shop?

Also, the bones are so soft that they don't catch in their throats or anywhere else on the way out?? :dunno

We have a food vendor here in LA that sells to the restaurant industry, they also sell retail, but everything is in bulk. So, the smallest amount of turkey or duck necks I can buy is 30lbs, the same with chicken feet. If there isn't a vendor like that in your area a lot of times you can find necks and feet in ethnic markets such as those serving the Asian or Latino communities. Also, go to a local butcher shop and chat them up, they may sell them to you!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Once in a while, Carl will hork up a particularly sharp and scary looking (to me) piece of neck bone. If he starts making sounds like something is stuck, I just give him a piece of white bread and it must catch it and carry it out the other end because that's always the end of it. Claire has never had that happen.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Opie gets a neckie every day - BUT they are not whole necks, they are pieces. They are about anywhere from 2- 4 inches long, and thickness depends on what part of the neck they were cut from. He gets his neck piece after we get home from work, and he has had his walk, and evening poo. Then about 2 hours later, he gets his dinner. He is kibble fed, with canned add ins and a meatloaf square. (I make a tray of meatloaf - beef and turkey, and cut it into squares, and freeze them for taking out for his dinner each night. A tray lasts about 3 weeks.)

As to where I get the necks, we have an ethnic type grocery store here called SAARS, has lots of Mexican and Aisian things, besides all the regular groceries. I get a few packages of the neck pieces, and some chicken feetsies for Opie there.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest bernadette

I gave Vinnie his first turkey neck tonight... I bought a package of smoked necks today at the store. He didn't know what to do with it at first, it was cute. He learned quick- what a GREAT treat!!

The first time I gave a turkey neck I posted on here because I thought I killed my dogs! :) Mine love them. I don't give them that often but we have a meet and greet Saturday (the adoring public is reward enough for Molly but not so much for Mason) and I'll probably give them each one as a reward. They love them! :)

Guest dmgaudre

I gave Vinnie his first turkey neck tonight... I bought a package of smoked necks today at the store. He didn't know what to do with it at first, it was cute. He learned quick- what a GREAT treat!!

I thought the turkey necks were given raw. Smoked is ok too? :dunno

I've only ever given turkey necks raw, too. Don't know anyone who does it any other way. Smoked? Isn't smoking a cooking method? I've don't eat smoked meats so I don't really know but it doesn't sound right.

ETA: Just found this: Smoked turkey necks add great flavor to soups and stews. Smoked turkey necks are pre-cooked but are not tender enough for eating; boiling is necessary for releasing flavor and eating.

So no, I would not feed smoked necks.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

Lisa B.

Guest bernadette

Vinnie is absolutely loving them, he had his second tonight. There are no weight bearing bones involved and they are quite soft. I'm not sure I see an issue with smoked, if raw is ok. Someone on here said they even give them frozen as a treat..?

Guest bernadette

Hm.. Just did a quick read up... Seems smoking may cook the bones long enough to make them splinter easily. I'll have to try another market for raw...

Is there anything that I need to do to prepare the Turkey Neck? I have always heard that chicken and turkey bones can be fatal to dogs...

Feed them raw either frozen or thawed. Never ever feed them cooked, that's when the bones are dangerous and splinter.