Hemangioperiocytoma - Kebo's Pathology Is Back

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

About a week before Kebo's dental, I noticed a small lump just above his left dew claw. The vet aspirated it, saw some cells she didn't like, and resected it as much as she could during the dental. She called me with the pathology today - hemangioperiocytoma. Low rate of metastasis, locally invasive, and incompletely resected.

Are you kidding me?

Kebo has a second cancer?

Hasn't he been through enough?

Our vet is sending his info to OSU for evaluation. If we need to take him somewhere we will take him back to NC State. They have an oncology program including radiation therapy and they were so good to him with his maxillectomy.

So, what experiences do you have with hemangioperiocytoma? Radical resection with aggressive margins and a skin graft has been mentioned. The vet says she has read some research about NSAIDS slowing the growth. I have read somewhere about oral chemo.

I know that at some point we have to stop carving bits of him away but he is happy and healthy otherwise. Hopefully with a few days to think things will be more clear.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you may have to offer.

They are not uncommon and thankfully, they don't tend to met but, unfortunately they are commonly found on limbs were clean margins are hard to obtain. In cases were surgical clean margins are not possible Dr Couto recommends a protocol where chemo (5FNU mixed with medical grade sesame oil) injected into the mass.

I do know of a few dogs that went the surgical route and while clean margins were not obtained the tumor never returned.

Greyt idea to contact Ohio State for their option -- Dr Couto may still be out of the country but, I'm sure you will receive a speedy answer.

Guest goofydog

Get Em also has this CA (his 2nd type also). It popped up last October on his right shoulder and I had it removed. The vet thought she had clean margins but when the path report came back there were still cancer cells present. She had taken a large chunk of the muscle it was anchored in but tis particular CA sends out tiny tendrils into the surrounding tissues that are had to identify or excise.

From my research there is a 25% chance of return at the same site and only a 2% chance of mets and median survival, if it returns, is 118 weeks. I also had my vet contact OSU about the 5FNU injection, however she was told it can't be done prior to tumor reappearence. IF it reappears then that mass can be injected.

So far it hasn't shown any sign of recurrence and he is a happy hound. At 10 he doesn't even know he has anything wrong and I'll take that for as long as it lasts. If it does reappear I'll look further into the OSU protocol.

Sending good and healing thoughts to you and Kebo. Give him an extra hug and cookie from us.

Toni

Good thoughts for Kebo, he's one of those special GT pups. I hope NC State can help and remove it with clean margins. Pups usually do okay on Chemo if that is an option after surgery.

Please keep us updated of that special boy!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

No experience, but sending lots of good thoughts for you and Kebo. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest BrianRke

Laura, Im sorry to hear this news. Im certain after what Kebo went through before, he will pull through this with no problems. He's a tough boy.

As I mentioned, my old man Faolin had 2 of these: one on his butt (dirty margins in 2007) & one where Kebo had it (narrow margins in 2010). Both the oncologist & Dr. Couto recommended additional surgery for the butt one but I decided to wait & only operate if I saw it recur. It never did & neither did the one near his ankle (he passed away in 2011). I think you got to Kebo's very early & your vet removed as much tissue as she could so I think those things make for a good prognosis. If it does comes back, the treatment with 5FNU sounds like an excellent option. Best wishes for The Kebo Man! :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

No advice...just :kiss2 for Kebo. Poor guy, you're right, enough is enough.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Shadow had a hemangio mass removed from around his knee and, due to the proximity to the bone, they were unable to get clean margins. We had him two more years before he passed of unrelated causes and it never grew back.

Best of luck to you and your boy!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest greytkidsmom

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I feel much more hopeful today that things are going to work out okay.

Guest vahoundlover

Are you kidding me?!!! Laura, I am so sorry.

I know you and Damon will make good decisions on what is best to do. If I can do anything let me know. Please give Kebo scritches and kisses for me.

No advice, just best thoughts for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, just :goodluck.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My whippet Rickie had this cancer on his upper right rear leg. Regular vet removed it, didn't get clean margins. It came back a year later - I found it very early as I was checking the site regularly. Specialty clinic surgeon removed it this time (very aggressive surgery), got clean margins by millimeters, and we haven't had a recurrence. Rickie was 10 at the time of the second surgery. He will be 14 tomorrow. Based on this experience I would recommend checking the site regularly for any sign of a return, however small, so that you can take action right away. As others have said, it doesn't always come back, and I hope Kato's won't.

Guest greytkidsmom

Just heard from our vet who has heard from Dr. Couto. Like some have already mentioned, they have a protocol for intralesional 5-FU therapy. They sent her the protocol and she is getting back with them about some specific procedural questions she has. She has done this type of injection before in horses before but not dogs and is comfortable giving it a try. I'm going to do a little more reading about it myself - I found one randomized controlled trial but the sample size was small (7 dogs). The results were favorable.

Watchful waiting seems like a reasonable option given the experiences that have been shared but I think I would worry less if we can do something to give us additional insurance against recurrence.

We go next week to have the sutures removed and will hopefully have a game plan in place at that time.

Miz Foxy had hemangiopericytoma, it's actually what brought us to GT, I knew NOTHING about cancer.. Her's was on the side of her front leg just below her elbow, she did not have clear margins. Since then I've become all too familiar with cancer in greyhounds. We did the watch and wait route as Dr Couto's treatment was in it's early stages and not being offered. Foxy was diagnosed 4 months before her 10th birthday and passed away 4 months before her 14th birthday.

Since starting Hope for Hounds and learning far more than I ever wanted to know about cancer I've been really impressed with the protocol Dr Couto provides. It may never come back, but the worry is always there. I know that had it been available after Foxy's surgery, we would have tried it.

Keeping you and Kebo in my thoughts.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.