New Retired Gh, How Am I Doing?

Guest Beernardo

Guest Beernardo

Hello

Me and my wife recently adopted a retired greyhound directly from our local racetrack, so we don't have the support of an organization. I would like to start this thread as some kind of diary of my progress regarding his behavior to get tips from the experienced adopters and make sure we are doing what's best for our boy.

The first thing I would like to overcome is that he doesn't wants to pee in the area with gravel on our patio, he's more interested on doing 1 and 2 right on the concrete floor (we don't have grass nor dirt on our patio), he also does it more easily in the streets during his morning walk. Do they just dislike gravel or there's something we are not doing right? We haven't had any accidents inside the house, he's been good about this and he always holds it up until we go out.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are used to going in sand. Some hounds are bothered by gravel as it hurts their feet until their pads toughen up. They race in sand also so gravel could be painful. Take your new pup on lots of walks to toughen his pads.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest barkdogs

Mine too. I walk mine everywhere so they have tough feet, but gravel and wood chips are still not their surface of choice.

Well, on the bright side, concrete is easy to hose off. . .

Guest Beernardo

That makes sense. In the track he ran they have concrete floors all around, kennels, walkways and the area they gather them just before the race, so he shouldn't be as sensitive as others that are used to walking in dirt or sand. I'll keep walking him in concrete and asphalt as I've been doing it for the past three days. I'll also try to replace the gravel for a finer one or perhaps just as a sandpit for him.

Sounds like you are near a track. You should try to hook up with an adoption group in your area. They can be a valuable resouce for you. Your greyhound will also enjoy being around other greyhounds as that is what they are use to.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest Beernardo

Thanks everybody for your input, I couldn't adopt from an organization as they only do it in the US and we don't have them in my country (mexico). I'm still going to get in touch with the closest one in the US. I'll make a sandpit for him and let you know if it worked.

Do you think it is normal that he s

I have a gravel yard and mine don't like it either, so I got some 12" concrete stepping stones to make a walkway for them. Sometimes it's a raceway too :)

Congrats on your new baby! So glad you found Greytalk as a resource - you'll learn soooo much and get such greyt help here!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest Beernardo

sometimes breathes heavily just laying in the flooring the carpet inside the house? the temperature is very stable. He does this sometimes without having a high physical activity. I'm going with the vet this Monday and I'll let him know about this among se other questions I have. The vet is the same one that works on the racetrack and he has 25 years of experience with GH, so It looks like he's the right one.

I have a gravel yard and mine don't like it either, so I got some 12" concrete stepping stones to make a walkway for them. Sometimes it's a raceway too :)

Congrats on your new baby! So glad you found Greytalk as a resource - you'll learn soooo much and get such greyt help here!

Thanks, I'm very glad I get lots of useful replies to my issues right away. The stepping stones are a good idea too!

Thanks everybody for your input, I couldn't adopt from an organization as they only do it in the US and we don't have them in my country (mexico). I'm still going to get in touch with the closest one in the US. I'll make a sandpit for him and let you know if it worked.

Do you think it is normal that he s

There are groups in the US that take the greyhounds from the track's in Mexico into the US. I'm sure one of these groups would be happy to work with you. I actually think they would be thrilled to work with you.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Greyhounds are very sensitive to the heat.

Today it's only just over 70 and my guys are laying in front of a fan to keep cool.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Does anyone have Kathleen Gilley's article? I think it would be a good read for the OP.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Beernardo

We are at 70F too. Do you know what will be the highest and lowest temperature they can take? I want to know where we can travel with him without riskining his health

Guest KsFrets

I’ve read on this forum that if you are cold or hot, your greyhound is too. I think that’s good advice. In Kansas, it’s HOT in the summer, and our dogs pant from May to October. Just make sure they always have fresh water, and ours love to hog the fan! In the winter it gets COLD sometimes below zero. We never miss a walk, so in the winter they have coats, and in the summer we take along a canteen of water. Sometimes when the temps are in the 100’s we will hose them down before going for a walk, and they love that. Just keep in mind that what you need to be comfortable, your greyhound does too. We have straw in our back yard and it works great.

Edited by KsFrets

Mine actually start to pant around 70 degrees - and these same hounds who will walk a mile just fine in 50 degrees are dragging if I do a mile at 70.

Good luck with your hound! Hope all goes well at the vet.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

This link is to Dr Stack's GreytHealth.

http://www.greythealth.com

There is another article by Dr Bill on the Idioscynrities of Greyhounds. I know I didn't spell that right but if someone would please post a link to that article.

Found the article

http://www.greyhound...h_Packet_08.pdf

There is also information on this website. The Greyhound Health and Wellness Program has free consultation and will work with your local vet.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/

Thanks

Would you like to post the greyhounds racing names? I am actually looking for two of Vallery's pups that should be coming off the tracks in Mexico. Many people look for their greyhounds relatives and set up reunions or just keep in contact with the extended greyhound family.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

Thanks for the idea about hosing down the dogs in hot weather before walks. We are in Arizona and even walking Olivia after the sun's been down a few hours it is still HOT and she drags and pants and drags on her walks (but she loves them and goes stir crazy without them). I'll try that and see if it helps her stay cool.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Thanks for the idea about hosing down the dogs in hot weather before walks. We are in Arizona and even walking Olivia after the sun's been down a few hours it is still HOT and she drags and pants and drags on her walks (but she loves them and goes stir crazy without them). I'll try that and see if it helps her stay cool.

Please keep in mind that the asphalt will retain heat long into the night. Cement is cooler -- i am in AZ and my saying is, if I don't get the dogs out for their walk by 6:30am (in the summer),, then forget it. As it was this morning, my thermometer read 84F at 6:30am,,,, we stayed home. Luckily we have a big yard both grass and dirt,,, and a pool,, so My kids might want to go for a walk, but are fine without as well.

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Beernardo

@Tallgreydogmom, I already located the association that takes all of the greyhounds from my local racetrack, I'm just waiting for the approval of the racetrack to contact them.

@KsFrets, So they don't do good in the heath, I guess visiting the in laws is out of the question? they are at 108 today but everybody lives under AC all of the summer. Will a 2 hour drive in a car with the AC on be too hard on him? the road has a lot of curves for about 20 min. and the rest is flat and straight on.

I always give him 30 min to cool down before giving him water after a 30 brisk walk, is that ok? I'll look for the canteen and the patio straw. Irght now we have a big plastic bucket where he drinks his water from, he went for about 18hrs without a sip until somebody else in the forum gave me the tip and it worked.

Do you think he'll need boots when walking in the cold at around 30F? (1°C) which is the coldest we have around here.

@Tallgreydogmom Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out. I also ordered the "Retired Racing Greyhound for Dummies" book.

@3DogNite I'll see if he can handle the asphalt temperature in the evenings, how can I know if I'm damaging his paws?

Today he's been acting more freely, his tail is curved upwards now and he makes faster moves all of a sudden. He also began to mark territory during his morning walk (he didn't do this the first couple of days) I'm very happy that he's coming out of his shell. Next thing to do is to have his teeth cleaned because his breath stinks, so much that the room starts to smell after an hour or so.

I've also been feeding him 1/2 of his previous crappy canned meat food and 1/2 Proplan chicken and rice kibble totalling 1.5lbs a day, but I can still see all of his ribs, I think I'm going to up the dose and see how he turns out. Do you guys know how quick these guys gain weight? I want to know how long should I wait before seeing results from the new dose?

@Tallgreydogmom His short racing days name was "Atomic High Noon" :) he's now called "Stanis"

Have you been on Greyhound Data? I see Stanis has 3 sisters that are still racing. He has a brother that Greysave.org in California has up for adoption. I see he has some Coldwater greyhounds as relatives. I have a Coldwater boy also.

http://www.greyhound... Noon&x=27&y=14

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

He also began to mark territory during his morning walk

We say he is checking his Pee Mail. Sorry, that is what he is doing. :dunno

Vallerysiggy.jpg

(Persian Proverb)

None of my greyhounds want to stand on gravel let alone pee on it. If you go bare foot on the gravel it is not very comfortable, especially the pea size. Perhaps put some sand down over the gravel.

Did you get your dog off of the Caliente, Mexico track? Reason I ask is that is where our Fast Friends greyhound rescue group gets their gh's

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

I'm in Southern California and our summer days often it the mid hundreds, my two do most of their outdoor stuff either early or late but have been known to sunbathe out in the direct sun at over 100! Not for long, but they do it. I have a small hard plastic kiddy pool that I got at WalMart that I fill up for them to cool off in, or I use the hose and cool down their bellies and legs if they are panting too hard. We get into the 30's occasionally, but I've never needed a coat or boots.

They are supposed to be lean, don't fatten him up too much, I'm sure your vet will give you some good advice.

My male, Carl raced in Phoenix and Gracie finished her career in Caliente.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest LindsaySF

The gravel probably hurts his feet. His pads should toughen up over time, but some dogs never like standing on gravel. :) Glad to hear he is coming out of his shell. Congrats on adopting him!