Veterinarians In Ne Pa That Can Treat Chronic Erlichiosis

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have brought him home today and took off the next several days to be with him.His prognosis is poor but I will continue to treat him with the doxy and the prednisonejust in case there is any chance of improvement. His U/S findings were:

1. hypoechoic hepatomegaly

2. normoechoic splenomegaly, no masses

3. small amount of abdominal effusion

4. bilateral renomegaly with hyperechoic renal cortices-Lt kid-8.2cm,Rt kid-8.4cm

5. small amount of bilateral pleural effusion

on june 13th here are his blood test results:

wbc-4.5 rbc-5.15 hemoglobin-11.7 hematocrit-35 platelet-203 lymphocytes-945/ul

on june 17th his results are:

-5.19 -4.31 -9.5 -26.6 -77 .75k/ul

I'm trying not to totally give up hope, and as long as he is not suffering I will continue to treat him for as long as it takes but right now it sure looks bad.

He is getting 200mg doxy 2x daily( the internist told me to give him 300mg once daily but I want to stick with the normal protocol,anyone think theres a reason not to?)and 20mg pred. once daily to try tohelp with anemia,low platelets and low white count according to his discharge instructions.I really hope he improves,but I'm prepared for him not to and will just spend as much time with him as I can.

Continued prayers for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

How is Jax feeling this morning? I hope he had a good night.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sending more hugs and prayers for Jax. Reading thru this all is tough because it's a lot like what happened with Chelsa; who did not have a good outcome. BUT she was worse; with more issues affecting her quality of life, she had immune-mediated polyarthritis and right at the end, threw a clot that paralyzed her front left leg. She was unable to walk. :cry1 At that point, she was letting me know that she was done fighting and I had to let her go. I am hoping so much that Jax turns a corner and beats this thing!

Robbie

A B complex should be OK (the body excretes what it doesn't need) but I'm not sure about vitamin K. I would run that by your vet. Was the article you were reading on erlichiosis or something else?

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I think he might be starting to respond to the doxy.I did not find out until today that they reran his bloodwork before I picked him up yasterday and his platelets are actually almost normal.I spoke to the vet about the vit.b and k. He said to vive him a multi, and B12-500mcg but no K so thatis what I am doing. I also told him I can give sub Q fluids so he has me giving him 300mg once a day.He did not want to eat this morning so gave up my filet mignon to him and that sure did the trick! He seems more alert this afternoon.He greeted me at the door with his tail wagging,was looking to go in the car when I went to leave and no longer looks like he is in a coma.Last night I was trying to wake him up to get him to go to bed and he was just limp when I tried to lift him up. I thought he might be dead by morning.I'm finally starting to feel more hopeful that he will get past this.thanks everybody!

Oh that's a good report. :clap Hang in there Jax!

Guest LindsaySF

Good news! :) I hope he continues to improve. Keep feeding him filet mignon if that's what he wants. ;) Did you hear back from OSU?

Keep fighting Jax, You have a lot of people pulling for you!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I tried to send the results to OSU but the E-mail was rejected.I don't know if I did the attachments right,I don't really do these things on the computer.I think the attachments were too big.I'll try again today and ask if I can fax them to them instead.