Veterinarians In Ne Pa That Can Treat Chronic Erlichiosis

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd tell you that tonite when I asked Jax if he had to go out, he got up, picked up his giant stuffed frog that he drags around and trotted around with it before bringing it to the door to go out!He hasn't looked at toys in a week.Keeping my fingers crossed that I see improvement or at least stability in his CBC tomorrow.

Fingers crossed here, too. It sure is encouraging that he is feeling better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Just thought I'd tell you that tonite when I asked Jax if he had to go out, he got up, picked up his giant stuffed frog that he drags around and trotted around with it before bringing it to the door to go out!He hasn't looked at toys in a week.Keeping my fingers crossed that I see improvement or at least stability in his CBC tomorrow.

This does my heart good. Keep fighting, Jax...

Hoping for good news on Jax's bloodwork today. :clover:goodluck:hope

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

That's fan-freakin-tastic!!!!!!! Good boy Jax! What's the plan now?

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I don't know the final plans yet, I have to talk oto the internist on Monday.He'll be on his meds for a while,and I guess they'll recheck his bloodwork,maybe in a week? What are some high calorie things I can feed him to put some weight on him? He's a good 10 lbs thinner than he was.

Eggs! :chow

Is he still on pred? That can make them drop a lot of weight quickly.

Yes, tomorrow is the last pill I have (7days worth), I talk to the internist tomorrow to see what's next.He never had eggs before, I'm a little wary of possibly giving him something hard to digest and ending up with diahrrea.Right now, he's getting about 1/4 to 1/2 lb. 80% lean hamburger with about 1 cup of food,he seems to be eating the best on that. I added some rice yesterday and he wouldn't touch it until I made fresh without the rice.It's good to know that it could just be the pred thats making him lose weight he's also only eating about 1/2 to 2/3 what he normally eats. I still have the thought that it could be a cancer like lymphoma and this could just be a temporary improvement due to the pred in the back of my mind.That is what the internist said at the beginning of the week.With his symptoms though, along with the uveitis,I think it is erlichia.He looks stronger every day, and his eyes are much better too.He still looks pale though,I can tell his blood is still not right just by looking at him.

Eggs are pretty easy to digest. You could start out with just a small amount of scrambled eggs & see how he does.

I hope it's the doxy that's making him feel better in addition to the pred. I think you'll find out fairly quickly once you stop it.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Google "satin balls" recipe; it's an easy make -ahead add in or they can be fed as a treat. They helped me get Chelsa to eat, and not lose too much during our ordeal. When my girl was struggling with her chronic ehrlichia, lymphoma was always in the back of my mind; but there were too many signs that contradicted something like a cancer; I'll never be 100% certain, but close enough to know in my heart that it was ehrlichia that took her.

I am so glad Jax is holding his own. Keep up the doxy; I don't know how long the pred should be continued but I do know some people keep them on it long term on a much lower maintenance dose.

Guest bethac

Hoping Jax continues to improve. Just read through the entire saga ... my heart goes out to you. Praying he has turned the corner now. :hope

I found the magic ingredient that got him to eat all his dinner-1tbsp BACON FAT! He acts almost normal,just a little tired.He has started playing with his toys a bit again,which he hasn't done in weeks.He's just so thin! His gums and ears are almost normal in color,so I'm hoping this keeps heading in the right direction. He's on the pred 20mg until next week at least, when he gets another bloodwork done. Thanks for checking in. I know bacon fat isn't the best thing for him but the vet said, if it takes hot dogs to get him to eat-use it! Don't worry if it's good for him or not as long as he eats.

Hotdogs are better than Bacon fat. I know you want to put the weight on him but he doesn't need pancreatitis. Parmesan cheese in the shaker top container is another thing to try. So happy he's doing well. He'll gain weight once he's off the pred.

Have we seen a picture of Jax? Bet he's cute. :-)

Guest FullMetalFrank

Please no satin balls-dogs on pred are already predisposed to pancreatic problems.

Oops; I should have also added that I modified the recipe some for less fat; we used 93/7 burger and cut the PB and cream cheese down some. Sorry; I don't like to feed anything with huge quantities of fat just in case pancreatitis might be an issue. I REALLY should have clarified that, again, I am sorry. I was looking for protein and calories and palatability for my girl. I also used a small amount of bacon grease to flavor her kibble "milkshake" but I used maybe a teaspoon for a day's worth of kibble shake.

I am glad Jax is playing with toys, warms my heart. Keep up the good work, and keep us posted!

Yep that's fine. Roast chicken would be nice too. :food:chow

The pictures I can't help with - I was trying yesterday & couldn't get them to work. :riphair

eta: just figured out photobucket (if that's where your pictures are - they need to be hosted somewhere, not just on your computer): mouse over the picture you want to post, click on the IMG code to copy it & paste it into your post.

Hope all is well.

Edited by sweetdogs

Just out of desparation I bought some plain old dog chow tiny bits and wouldn't you know it? He's eating that better than anything else I've given him! I don't even have to add anything to it. Got his bloodwork back, and his values are better again. Now if I can get some weight back on him I'd really feel better.I'll try posting pics tomorrow.