Adjusting To New Climate--Drastic Change

Guest HoundSmitten

Guest HoundSmitten

Hi there,

I am moving with my hound from chilly rainy England (just Sunday we went walking out in the country and I had to dress him in a heavy coat) to Las Vegas in the height of the desert summer heat. I am wondering what I can do to help him with the transition.

I know the obvious from living there before--I won't be walking him at all in the middle of the day, just letting him out for quick comfort breaks then straight back in. Walks will be early in the mornings and well after sunset. Also I know to keep lots and lots of water available at all times, in all rooms of the house he has access to. And to keep toilet lids down!

It's the transition period I'm concerned about. How can I help him adjust without too much difficulty? In England they get concerned about their dogs when the temps get up in the 70s, and start talking about how to avoid heat stroke. In Vegas the night-time temps will be in the 80s, and daytime temps don't bear thinking about. This is a dog that is acclimated to chill and damp. Please, can anyone tell me what to watch out for, things I can do to help him adjust, etc.

Are light-weight sun-reflective or UV-protective coats a good idea? Anyone know where to get one? What about sunscreen for his nose and lightly-furred parts? Any recommendations?

I will gratefully accept any and all advice!

Coats of any kind would most likely hold in the heat and make it worse in that climate.

When Rocket gets overheated, we do have a cooling coat (home made) made from a towel fabric that allows us to keep pouring cool water on him. He hates the water on his skin, but if we use the coat, it doesn;t bother him and helps to saturate him. Once cooled down, you have to remove the coat immediately so it doesn't trap heat. You can do the same thing with a towel if your dog hates water.

We don't use this to keep him cool, but rather to cool him down if overheated. It is also important ot cool the chest and belly, as this is a large part of where they overheat.

For the most part, its going to require the same changes you make for yourself, as you already said - no walks in the heat of the day or above certain temps, and staying hydrated.

Good luck. I'm sure some of the members here who live in the desert will chime in with what works for them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ditto to the spray bottle of water kept in the fridge.

A small kiddie pool is also a good idea...if he'll actually get in it!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I will pm you tonight with the email address of my friend that lives in Las Vegas and has gh's. I am at work right now and don't have her email address. Talk about a change for you. It is so dry and HOT HOT in Las Vegas. The local Las Vegas people joke about their seasons "they have 2 seasons - hot and hotter.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

You've got the walk at night or very early morning thing down pat so that is most important. Last week here it was over 80 at 10 p.m. with a bunch of humidity thrown in. we walked after dark and just went for shorter walks. They don't really care how far it is, just that they get to go. If you aren't going to walk in the day (which we don't do here in the summer) sunscreen would not be necessary. ;)

Cooling coats in general are a bad idea as even wet terrycloth traps heat in. If your dog appears to be overheated on a walk take him home and run the hose his chest stomach and paws.

Take a deep breath. Here most greyhounds spend their growing up time on farms in KS or OK outside 24/7. Once they leave Mom the pups play and grow in a big run with one dog house and one wading pool. All summer with no cooling coats (and temps over 100). All winter with no jammies (in the snow) and they are happy healthy dogs As far a climate change I'm sure dogs are hauled/have been hauled from trcks in the north to Florida and Arizona and did just fine. They are really much more adaptable than people make them out to be.

If you don't have a dog door there probably isn't a huge need to be concerned about water in every room as he is only going out with you in the early morning or late evening. His inside time should be the same or maybe cooler than in England (not sure if you have central air now, but you certainly will in Vegas). I keep my central air set at 74. If I put it lower Poodle and Buddy let me know about it.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Walk at night

Get a wading pool- even if he doesn't like water in the UK (where the water is cold) he may in Vegas

My dogs moved from England to Florida- wet heat, but still a massive change!

When I went to Vegas to visit, I had to carry my dogs into the room from my truck, because the pavement was so hot...

(and wait until after dark to potty them)

I'm glad you made it - survived the LA traffic and the trip across the desert! You and your hound must really be exhausted in every way.

You might also want to water him down before and after walks, but if you use the hose outside, me sure to check it with your hand first, that water can be nearly boiling hot as it has been sitting outside. I wouldn't use a coat, cooling coat, etc, they trap heat. I like the idea of walking with a spraying water bottle. I agree with Brandi, contact Dana, she really is the local expert. She is the person who takes care of mine when I go on trips out of LV.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014