Elsie Has Ls

This has been coming on for a while, but it's been confirmed. Actually, my vet said many dogs are often said to have it, ts not a true LS. Lots of old dog of have rear end weakness.

It was confirmed yesterday with Elsie. She is 13 She has it and is text book in symptoms and how diagnosed. Push here, down she does. She pivots when turning, and knuckles one foot.

I asked my vet for the Depo shot for Elsie. She Said that because she is positive it's LS, if anyone would respond to this treatment it's my Lou. If not, we will Go to othe protocols.

Anyone here have success with the Depo shot?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I believe Hubcitypam and KennelMom both had some useful results with the shot, so if they don't post you might PM them. Hope it works well for your pretty girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Jey. This is forcing me to believe she's really 13. She is so youthful, active and all around a crazy insane puppy that I had lost sight of it. Hoping for many more crazy years with Lou Lou bean.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Robin, Pal was dx with LS four years ago and he responded wonderfully to the Depo. We are currently trying Adequan to see if he can get even more relief but I'm not yet convinced that it has done a better job than the Depo. He also gets a glucosamine 1500mg/MSM 1500mg supplement BID, and Deramaxx. Next week he will be 13.9.

Elsie :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest FreddyGirl

Tommy, 12 years 8 months, has LS.He gets deramaxx daily, Adequan shot once a week. I have had good results with this course of treatment. Stopped accupuncture a few months ago when I switched to the Adequan.

I have no experience with LS, Robin, just wanted to wish the best outcome for Elsie Lou as you figure out the best treatment for her.

:goodluck:heart

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest MnMDogs

Were currently managing Mork with adequan injections... He just finished his loading dose and were going to gradually try to increase the time between. He's always been gimpy since he has corns, but he had an incident several weeks ago that he fell over (on carpet) and had a very hard time getting up. Then a few days later, Ryan had to rush over to him to steady him while he was getting water.

Since we started the adequan, no more incidents... He's not running laps, but he seems more playful and will trot a bit more. so that's another option for you.

Good luck with whatever treatment - oh Morky is pushing 13 himself... He's the same age as Tommy :). And if I remember correctly, Tommy is also from GAS, I wonder if they crossed paths (sorry OT)

Edited by MnMDogs

Jake can't have the depo shots as it's a steroid and he has TBD that while we have it under control we haven't dured it. So we give Cartrophen shots (similar to adequan) once a month, but the thing that has helped the most IMO is gabapenten. Jake gets 300mg in 3 100mg doses a day. He accidentally went without any for a few days when I was away and DH for some reason got things screwed up :rolleyes: Jake couldn't even get himself up and moving. After only 2 doses of gabapenten he was back to normal.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Depo did wonders for Rex. He went from struggling to get off the couch to bounding up the back steps. It really was amazing. You can tell when they are starting to wear off.

I've already brought the "what if?" question to my vet as Buddy is big and getting older. He said Buddy did end up diagnosed with LS he'd be happy to give him Depo.

I said "Josh, you're a young vet, you're supposed to hate Depo".

He replied "You know my father was a vet and I grew up watching him work. I saw Depo do some really good things over the years that offset the scare tactics about it that they teach in vet school now. Several of my classmates are not opposed to it either".

He gave Barkley a shot of it a few months ago for something, but I can't remember the reason.

The depo injection for really isn't a crackpot scheme. It's also used in humans.

I never would have suspected Rex had LS as he was only 5, but Dr. Herron did the test on Rex while we were there for something else as he didn't like the look of his back. Rex dropped like a ton of bricks. He then did it on a 12 year old girl greyhound and she didn't flinch. When I told Suzanne Stack he'd been diagonsed and treated she looked at his adoption intake picture and said that it was a classic LS hunch.

Greyhound_Rex_Omillion-_2.jpg

Here's this if you haven't seen it -

http://www.greythealth.com/lumbosacral.html

I say give it a try. It sure worked for us.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks all. She had her first shot yesterday. Vet said that if things don't get noticably better within 5 days, we will try something else.

no advice Robin, just hoping this works for her and she's feeling good as new :) and a :grouphug for you because I know you're worried

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Depo did wonders for Rex. He went from struggling to get off the couch to bounding up the back steps. It really was amazing. You can tell when they are starting to wear off.

I've already brought the "what if?" question to my vet as Buddy is big and getting older. He said Buddy did end up diagnosed with LS he'd be happy to give him Depo.

I said "Josh, you're a young vet, you're supposed to hate Depo".

He replied "You know my father was a vet and I grew up watching him work. I saw Depo do some really good things over the years that offset the scare tactics about it that they teach in vet school now. Several of my classmates are not opposed to it either".

He gave Barkley a shot of it a few months ago for something, but I can't remember the reason.

The depo injection for really isn't a crackpot scheme. It's also used in humans.

I never would have suspected Rex had LS as he was only 5, but Dr. Herron did the test on Rex while we were there for something else as he didn't like the look of his back. Rex dropped like a ton of bricks. He then did it on a 12 year old girl greyhound and she didn't flinch. When I told Suzanne Stack he'd been diagonsed and treated she looked at his adoption intake picture and said that it was a classic LS hunch.

Greyhound_Rex_Omillion-_2.jpg

Here's this if you haven't seen it -

http://www.greytheal...umbosacral.html

I say give it a try. It sure worked for us.

What hunch? --- my boy Lazer has a really high arch in his back, it's almost always there. yet He is solid when i do my own amateur test for LS....

my girl Spirit seems solid, active, healthy, no apparent problems, but when i do my amateur test, she buckles her back legs....

her back looks "normal" no hunching that I can see.....

I'd love to understand what the hunch is.

can you explain it for us

Thanks!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'd love to understand what the hunch is.

can you explain it for us

Thanks!

I can't explain as those weren't my words. I was just repeating what both vets said. I never questioned either vet about it. If you'd like I can e-mail Suzanne and ask for details on her statement. All I know is that I watched Rex hit the floor in Dr. Herrons office, saw him give him a shot and he was a new dog for 6 months.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest freightsmom

So sorry to hear this about Miss Elsie. I recall last November how well she looked and moved at Fredericksburg. I'm sure with the proper meds and TLC from you and Rich she will bounce back just fine.