Cooling Off A Hound Who Dislikes Water

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

It's been lovely and warm this past week, and Jack and I have of course been outside enjoying it. However, when Jack is playing, he gets hot quite quickly. Besides giving him lots of water throughout the day, I also attempted to cool him off by wiping his ear tips, feet and belly with a wet cloth, something which my previous dogs enjoyed.

Jack, however, is a big prissy who Does Not Like Getting Wet, and proceeded to beg to go inside, then towel himself off on my bedclothes (mind you, he was only damp).

Any suggestions for cooling off a hound who thinks he'll melt if he gets wet?

yesterday it hit 78F here, sunny - which is unusual - and millie was panting at the end of her run/potty session in the garden, so i called her over, grabbed the hose, she went elsewhen at a rapid pace - she knows what the hose means from me having used it 8 years ago to wash mud off her legs. i put the hose down, called her again, hooked up her leash & drenched her with the hose on spray. she was NOT amused. after she stopped dripping & three shake sessions and a walk around the block we went back indoors & i used the gate on the bedroom so she wouldn't wet the bed (:)). it was about 85F indoors due to the sun & lack of a breeze. she did stop panting tho. she had a cocktail sausage to help her get over the stink-eye.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Would he lie in front of a fan?

Our hounds would consider hosing with cold water to be extreme abuse!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I keep a sprayer bottle full of water in the fridge and spritz mine off regulary.

They didn't like it at first, but now are fine with it.

We also have lots of fans...one in every room....and they do appreciate them!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

It was quite hot yesterday, my car said it was 30C or in the mid 80'sF. Given that only a couple of weeks ago we had single figures it has come as quite a shock to Peggy. She's not allowed to run when its above 18C (64F). In the park the only way to cool her off is to encourage her into the little stream there and splash her underneath. She will stand in the water looking dopey but is only happy going in deeper water if there is sand rather than stones which hurt a greyhound's feet. At home a plant mister bottle is the best way to go and to make sure she doesn't lay in the sun more than about 5 minutes. She doesn't like fans indoors and neither do I, so she will migrate to the morning side of the house in the afternoon.

just hold his collar and gently spray. i used the hose, wet under the chest and groin areas first, then inner thighs, legs and body. the quickest cooling comes from the underbody. they get used to everything, you need not to budge and hold on tight. just tell them they won't die and treat w/ a cookie after.

Guest BrianRke

I was just having this discussion yesterday with the director of our group who is VERY experienced with greyhounds. She told me to wet their feet, belly and chest. Soaking their whole body can cause them to retain heat and therefore can have the opposite of the desired effect.

How hot is he getting? Panting in warm weather / sun is normal. Most times, unless they've run a race or two, some shade, a breeze, and access to a drink of water is enough :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sunny and Sophie have asked me to add that in their expert opinion the very best way to cool off a hot hound is ICE CREAM. :chow

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Tell him to tough it out and just use the hose on him. The best spots to hit are the top and back of the head, the chest, and tummy between the back legs.

If he's overheating, you shouldn't concern yourself with whether he likes the water or not.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest sirsmom

On very hot days like today. we take them out very early or in the evening. I just won't take the chance since I also have a long haired black dog and she pants even when it's cool.

Guest snakes

Frozen veggies/fruit and/or I make little yogurt cubes by mixing plain yogurt with milk and freezing in an ice cube tray. Its a healthy treat for them and does seem to make them feel cooler. I actually broke down and bought this https://freezypups.com/ mainly for the ice cube tray that works well, but the pups did like the flavors it came with :)

Seamus doesn't like water either. I use a kiddie pool outdoors in the summer. I have him stand in it to get his feet wet and then splash water on his belly and chest. He doesn't enjoy it, but tolerates better than a hose drenching. Either way, he still tries to rub it all off when he gets inside the house. :lol

I love the dogs who will plop right down in a full kiddie pool!

S.jpg

Tell him to tough it out and just use the hose on him. The best spots to hit are the top and back of the head, the chest, and tummy between the back legs.

If he's overheating, you shouldn't concern yourself with whether he likes the water or not.

What Rachel said, I don't give mine a choice, they get wet. Better to cool them down whether they like it or not that for them to have heat stroke. Trust me, they are not given a choice at the track.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

A leash and a hose if your at home. If traveling as leash and a few water bottles. LOL Rainy will stand still and seems to know it helps her. Sunshine hates it but is slowly accepting.

I wet them all over but go back and focus on neck chest belly and groin area with the hose to help them cool down

------

Jessica

Guest zombrie

What Rachel said, I don't give mine a choice, they get wet. Better to cool them down whether they like it or not that for them to have heat stroke. Trust me, they are not given a choice at the track.

Ditto! I'm mean and tell my dogs "too bad"!!

Summer will just climb into her kiddie pool and lie down, so I don't have to worry about it. If I'm out and I think she's too hot, whether or not she disliked water, it would be too bad for her. A cold sopping cloth applied to those huge arteries inside their hind thighs is a great spot. Also, I will often tie a cooling bandana onto her neck BEFORE she gets hot and it will give me plenty of extra time and it makes her more comfortable. But you have to have it positioned on the throat artery or it does little good. DH and I also have cooling bandanas for ourselves so we are an odd little 3-pack sometimes, LOL!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I just bought Treasure a cool off pad since her panting is driving md nuts. It really does stay cool. I think the trick is getting her to stay on it.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest june

When it gets really hot, like yesterday's temps in the 90's, we stay indoors with short potty breaks. The air is on, but set at 78 so there isn't as much shock when going in or out and the fans are running. The air conditioning keeps the humidity down which helps a lot. None of my girls like to get wet, but if they were over heated they would get hosed down like it or not.

You want the heat to rise off the dog's back, so wetting down the back is not actually a good idea since the water can trap heat against the dog's skin. (And don't put a t-shirt on the dog and wet the shirt.) Water on chest, belly, and inner thighs is best. Do not use really cold water since the cold can cause the dog's blood vessels to constrict. You just want cooler-than-the-dog water.

I keep a large box fan running in my living room. Sam blissfully sleeps on the bed in front of the fan. I limit their outside trips, keep them off hot, sunny asphalt, and give them potty breaks on pine needles under a shady pine tree.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)