How About A "my Dog Is So Bomb-Proof" Thread?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, not sure whether we should trade or not? Joseph just gets trembly and drippy nosed, and plants himself very very solidly. Fortunately not often or about many things -- he's 85% bomb proof.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The Majestic Pippin came home with me from Jacksonville on Thursday, Nov 11 2007. That Saturday, he joined me and Dee at an adoption fest outside a Tractor Supply Store in rural Georgia. We were next to the miniature horses, as I recall. He adapted to the X-Pen with no issues, but what really made me smile was when I had him out of the pen, on his leash.

A family came up with a toddler who was barely as tall as my boy. Pip measures 31" at the shoulder, and raced at 81lbs, IIRC. This little boy put his hands on Pip's back to pet him, his eyes barely able to see over the top of Pip's spine. And my gentle giant stood there calmly, as he's done with every child and toddler since.

Those who've met him will tell you that he can be a rambunctious hound, full of zest and enthusiasm and energy, and maybe should have been named Tigger just from his bounciness. But you get him around a young child, and he stands like a living statue, letting them experience his awesomeness without giving any signs of impatience.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne once slept in a tent through a very enthusiastic thunderstorm, with her face half submerged in a puddle of water.

She put up a fuss on the 4th of July, not because the fireworks were bothering her, but because Mama was outside and she was not.

Guest BrianRke

Daytona:

-lets my 15mo old nephew climb all over him

-lets my mom's puppy jump all over him

-lies down and sleeps whenever we go for a ride

-sleeps through thunderstorms

-will butt his way in the middle of a huge crowd and lie down

-I have to scoot him out of the way and vacuum around him

-he lets me vacuum him!

-he goes to sleep when I trim and/or dremel his nails

-goes out in the rain and doesnt care

-July 4th is his favorite holiday

He is just an amazing guy. I got him as a bounce. Can you believe someone returned this dog?????

Desi sleeps through my road rage. When someone really gets to me & I feel compelled to call them a really ugly name, he'll just raise his head a little

& give me the "Wot? I must have missed it" look.

The only time he gets anxious is when dinner is a tiny bit late.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I don't get into this forum very often, what a nice topic to see!

Like a few others, my first hound is my bomb proof hound. As a foster fresh off the track he fell asleep during the 4th of July fireworks. He wasn't always easy but he has always been steady.

Now the girls, they each get to join in on the, my hound is "special" because... thread :lol

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Leah, who runs for the hills if I drop a fork :yikes at home, drops to the floor for a nap If I dally too long in Home Depot :rofl

Oh wow......Leah can go in Home Depot with you?

You bet! We regularly take our hounds in there! Every store we've ever visited (Utah, AZ, Calif., NM) has been gracious about us being allowed to come in, but we are intensely aware of the need to be well mannered and to ALWAYS leave a good impression. We make a point of taking the fosters in there to socialize them, sometimes we even hand out a few cards. :nod We've taken as many as 5 at once and we've NEVER been asked to make them stop yapping or to settle down. :D Like I said, usually Leah is napping by the time I finish talking or shopping :sleepy I really do need to get some pictures probably - they're on a coupler and sometimes Jimmie just drags her along behind us till I notice :lol

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

EVERY one of my dogs is normal. I would not have a dog that was not at this point. Crowds, fireworks, kids, etc. No psychos in this house :) And I don't want any lunatics either. I guess some would say my Nax is a lunatic, cos she is weird and squeaky, but she is normal in every other way.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Can Jayne still be bomb-proof if scarecrows and snowmen turn her into a ninny until I introduce her to the first one each year?

Yes, I'm the woman who brought her dog into your front yard and is now introducing her to your snowman. Nothing to see here!

Guest RooMcClanahan

Ooh! I'll play! Sail is so bombproof that...

- his tail somehow ended up in a cracked, still pretty warm oven and didn't move

- we vaccuum right up against him

- when we open the dishwasher door all the way to unload dishes, it comes thisclose to hitting him, and yet he continues to lay there beneath it

- he roaches in the back seat of the car

- he loves sprinklers

- he wasn't fazed when our niece went from petting him nicely to lifting up his gums in .2 seconds

Don't know about fireworks yet, haven't had him that long. But if I had to guess, I bet he'll think they're rad.

Seamus, on the other hand...well, there's a reason we call Sail "Opposite Dog"!

Anna is so bomb proof the vet nurse thought she was already sedated :lol:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Legs is totally bomb-proof. I'm his 3rd home since racing & he made the trip to Hawaii from Arizona shortly after being adopted, so you'd think he'd be reserved or cautious but not at all. He's the only dog I've ever had who hasn't had some neuroses :lol He even LAYS DOWN at the vet, he sleeps through storms, loves everyone and every dog, I've never even heard him growl. He's the best :heart Although, I love the shy/scared ones too, don't get me wrong. It's just a different experience having such a happy go lucky guy :)

Maddie is so bombproof that she lets my almost 3 year niece hold/ hang onto her. When Mads has had enough she walks away. Maddie is not used to having a kid around as I don't have kids. This happens when I go to visit my family. My niece LOVES Maddie.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

nothing ever phased emily. felix barks at thunder- answers back- and runs thru the rain. when we had limbs falling on our roof from the freak snowstorm last oct he hung out, that was it(annie hid). we go into the city and nothing phases him, he just keeps on trucking. at meet and greets he's the one the little ones hang on.

Guest IndyHound

Beckett is so bombproof that he swims. He swam from one side of the lake to the other. He flat out refused to get into the boat and swam next to it.

Not one of mine, but I just had to post about my friend's dog who's the most laid back, bomb-proof greyhound I've ever met. My boy Wiki is pretty bomb-proof too, but he doesn't come close to Jose. When clients see Jose at the clinic, they often assume he's sedated or sick because he usually doesn't even lift his head up when they walk past and/or when their dogs sniff him. We've gotten lots of comments along the lines of "Aww...poor dog, what's wrong with him?" or "Oh, is he waking up from surgery?" :lol

Other dogs (even other animals) all seem to be drawn to Jose, and he patiently tolerates all of them. My dogs, who don't snuggle with each other, will all snuggle with Jose.

Here's some photo/video evidence...

Kittens playing on and around Jose.

josekitties.jpg

My mixed breed Corey sitting on top of him! :yikes

clinicday827-18.jpg

A kitten trying to nurse on him...

joseorangekitty6.jpg

Video of the same kitten above.

th_josenursingkitty.jpg

And an album of Jose with a baby goat climbing all over him: :)

http://smg.photobuck.../jjng/JoseGoat/

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm lucky with both of mine. They are mostly bombproof. Fenway couldn't care less about fireworks and thunder. They both get along with dogs of all shapes and sizes.

The most impressed/proud I've ever been is when Grace passed her CGC/TDI with no training. She never took a formal obedience class and I had kind of forgotten about the test until a few days before. The evening before the test I took her to the soccer field near our house with a long lead and took her through the parts of the test I could, but only once. The next day we arrived for the test and immediately upon entering the facility one of the other dogs lunged at her. She didn't react at all. She passed the test with flying colors. I was so proud of my smart, smart girl.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)