Panacurmy

My dog got caught up in the TOTW recall. He had not been eating anything for 4 days before I knew about the bad food. He has the big D and is still not eating. Took him to the vet this morning and she has him on Panacur (12mg daily) with crushed up Metronidazole (500mg) in it. Please tell me what you think. As much as I love my greys, if I had it to do over again I believe I would not have adopted any as they are way too high maintenance for me. We are at the vet at least weekly.

Must have had a brain freeze, because I meant to put Panacur in the topic. Sorry

I hear your frustration and it may be that if you can get a couple of months with no health issues needing attention, you'll regret what you wrote, but right now it's what you feel.

Frankly, I don't disagree with you. Many Greyhounds are high maintenance. I think a lot of people get used to it and, therefore, don't see it as anything unusual. I laughingly call Annie Bella neurotic, but sometimes it blows my mind that because, for instance, there is a rake laying on the terrace that has never been there before, she looks at it as if it's snake and walks waaayyy around it, looking over her shoulder to see if it's following her. That is so not normal.

I love my girl, and am very glad I fulfilled my long-held desire to have a Greyhound in my life. I also gladly and willingly laugh and put up with her few neuroses, but I'll never have two Greyhounds at the same time because it's too expensive (most recent soft serve poop cost me $162) and one neurotic dog in the house at a time is plenty.

Good luck with your pups and especially this new problem with the recall. Honestly, sometimes I think the Gravy Train my childhood dog was raised on was just fine.

Never ever heard of feeding crushed metronidazole - metro is beyond bitter and it's usually prescribed not to crush or chew the tablets.

Not sure why your upset with your hound becoming ill by eating tainted food- certainly any breed eating a food full of bacteria would become ill. I feel your frustration however, in this situation this is not certainly not a breed related illness.

Panacur is for parasites (worms, giardia). Metronidazole is used for diarrhea of unknown origin, intestinal inflammation, sometimes giardia (Panacur is more effective for giardia). Neither would be used for Salmonella, which is the contaminant found in the bad dog food, although you could consider metronidazole a supportive treatment (anti-inflammatory).

I hope your pup is better soon!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

Treatment sounds straightforward though I've never crushed meteonidizole either..its crazy bitter. We have 13 greys and haven't been to the vet in 4 months or so.

Edited by KennelMom

Thanks everyone. The reason she crushed the meteonidizole is because there is no way I can get a pill down his throat. It is just not worth the fight. But, he has been acting weird, too. In the afternoon he won't walk out of the yard. We used to go on long walks, but not anymore. He acts afraid. Also in the house he acts like a thunderstorm is coming and it is not. He wakes up in the middle of the night crying, but does not want to go outside. All of this in the last two weeks or so.

Do you think that maybe these new behaviors could be related to losing Huck? The timing seems to be consistent with it.

:nod I can't underscore this thought enough. This dog sounds as tho he is grieving, and if he were mine I would try to comfort him, give him strength, and try to build his confidence after losing his friend. He sounds lost. Hang in there, pup :grouphug

Last year I lost two good dogs and despite the roller coasters, I would give anything to have them back.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hey, I sure did not think of that! Huck, coupled with the bad dog food is probably what is going on. I am going to have to take him to the vet's this afternoon as I cannot get the Panacur down his throat. He slings it down the walls and all over the floor. I have wasted about 1/2 bottle. Thanks so much.

Guest dobiegrey

Good Luck, dogs can grieve so hard!!! They can't talk about it, they can't ask you what happened, all they know is one minute he was there and he has DISAPPEARED!! Maybe it was outside? Maybe it was on a walk? the dark? Hang tough and it will pass with time and tenderness.

As far as breed problems, Betty my Grey has far less problems at this point than Jack my Doberman, he is hypothyroid, has chronic pancreatitis AND is diabetic!!! He is my million dollar doggie!!

But I know you need a break after losing Huck I am sure.

My Valentino grieved horribly when Saint left. He quit eating and just lay around the house. I even took him to the vet thinking there was something wrong. He was physically fine but he grieved for over a month for Saint. I actually thought I was going to lose him because I couldn't eat and then one day he started eating again and has been fine since.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I also think he has me wrapped around his paw. He has been refusing dry dog food for several days now. I have been the complete route, having tried him on Science Diet DD, California Natural Kangaroo and California Natural Venison. For the first 2 days on each one he ate it all and then one by one refused to even try. I had the DD when Huck died and bought both of the California Naturals when TOTW had the recall. So, being the good dog owner I am, I tried him on canned food just to get something into him. Well, now he won't eat anything else. My vet wants him on Science Diet LD (or I think that is what she said), but don't want to pile up anymore food bags that are just sitting there. I really need advice because I can't afford to feed him 5 cans a day. He eats his treats at bedtime, so I don't think it is a tooth problem, however the enamel is worn off his teeth because he chewed on his crate during his racing days and has had a canine tooth removed because it had root decay. He is my million dollar boy. However, if I can get him to eat anything Science Diet formula, the insurance will pay 1/2 the bill, but in my humble opinion it is crap food. Back to the dry food...I have tried mixing the canned food with it and he just walks away. This is the dog that went 4 days without food when TOTW had the recall and he is still having the big D because he was eating the bad food..so was Lady, but she is recovering nicely.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that the Diamond food re all is more about a potential risk to people handling the food than dogs eating it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sounds like he has plenty of stomach upset and knows that kibble makes him feel worse at the moment. If he's not eating, he is going to start dropping weight really fast, if he hasn't already. He also may not have the energy to go for the walks right now.

Make him some boiled chicken and rice or some scrambled eggs and rice and feed him 4 or 5 small meals a day. He needs bland food until his stomach settles down, and then a slow re-introduction to kibble.

Easy way to do the chicken is to put a couple of boneless breasts in the crock pot with some water, and let it cook. You can even do this with frozen chicken. When it's done, shred the chicken into fine shreds. I also make a pot of overcooked rice or pasta and then just put them in the bowl and mix them up. Multiple small meals are best until the stomach upset subsides.

i do the same thing with eggs, scramble a dozen at a time and then just pull them from the frig for feeding.. Serving them cold is fine - dogs typically love eggs and will eat them when they won't eat anyhting else.

Good luck, and I hope your pup is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am a firm beleiver they eat what they need. Find some chicken or beef on sale and boil it and feed it with rice or potatoes. Cheaper than the canned and they will usually eat it.

Pancur -- I use the granules and mix it with canned food. I have also put it in peanut butter and yogurt. There doesn't seem to be a taste with it (at least the granules).

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits