Rolling In Stinky Things?

Do your greys ever roll on the ground? Not only does mine not roll in stinky dead things, he doesn't ever roll at all, not for pleasure, not for any reason. Is this just him, or a grey thing, or what? He roaches aplenty on the sofa, but otherwise I never see him go on his back for fun and wiggle ecstatically.

UGH! Rolling in stinky things is that "normal dog behavior" that I would praise scared little Sunshine for. I am now paying the price. :lol She so confused when I hollar at her now about it.

Rainy never rolls in smelly stuff. She's a lady.

------

Jessica

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo rolls in the grass or rubs his nose in it sometimes. Then he'll lay there on his side, twitching his tail and throwing his feet around like he is swimming in it. Not really rolling in anything stinky though thankfully, just enjoying rolling around in the yard.

I was walking the dogs about a year ago one day when Ajax suddenly decided to roll around in a neighbor's front lawn. On leash, with me standing there half amused half annoyed and trying desperately to keep the leash from hog-tying him.

Mine roll around in our house more than in the yard. However, Ajax acts like a connoisseur of pee-mail. When he smells the grass, he'll lick it and make smacking motions with his mouth, sniff, lick, smack some more. We're sure that if he could talk, he'd be telling us about the grass being a like a naughty little wine, with hints of rosemary and oak on the nose and flavors of raspberry, plum and peat and a crisp finish. :lol

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest SoulsMom

Archie liked to roll in stinky things, drove me crazy. I suppose Zoe does too because she came home to us smelling like skunk because she rolled in something at her previous home. But she's never done it here

yeah, walking in the woods my dogs have managed to get the scent of wild animal on them. yup, either sticking their head in it or rolling. my welsh terrier was notorious for rolling in wild animal feces...talk about clean up! at least w/ a grey you can just hose them down. w/ a terrier- oy that double coat's a killer :angryfire

Guest shanesmom

Ace just did that the other morning while on leash on our walk. Just started sniffing and then rubbing his face and then his entire body on something he smelled. It was really comical to my neighbors who were in the same field walking their dogs who don't do that. Probably smelled the deer that are always in the back of the field at night.

It's a DOG thing, not a Greyhound thing, and I have never seen George roll, period. My last dog loved to roll in the grass, but not stinky things. I think he just enjoyed the feel of grass on his back!

Heck, my horses used to roll! Now that's fun to watch! Will she make it all the way over or not? Good times!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My perfect, distinguished lady...the one and only Graceface...is perfect in every way. Except for her love of all things stinky. She rolled in many unmentionables, but the worst was the half rotted carcas of a bird she found on the beach. Thank goodness my friends were smart enough to install an outdoor doggie wash area with heated water.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

None of my greyhounds have ever done it, but my weims, galgos, and mixed breeds have. I had a basset/collie mix that was obsessed with it. Ugh! :sick

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My whippet female will... UGH! NONE of my other dogs would, they would sooner die. I absolutely do not allow the one to do it. Thankfully a voice commands halts her before she hits the ground.

Doc shows absolutely no inclination to roll in stinky things, but does like to roll around on his back in his bed or on the carpet when he's feeling playful. I'm glad it's that way round!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

outdoors millie will lie on her back in the sunny grass & wiggle in joy, but never on anything, especially not anything stinky, indoors she never roaches, she tries occasionally & falls over.

our lurcher friend, sam, has been known to require a major hosing after falling over onto a cow pat, or something dead & smelly. he can fall over onto something, move a few feet, fall over again, ad nauseum. his record while i was there was about five 'falls' in about 100 yds.

blue never did anything remotely like that outside, but would roach at the drop of a hat indoors.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.