Chicken Jerky Treats - Caution

Guest NSGREY

I have bought and given my dogs at least 3 bags of the Duck Tenders by this company! I got them at Costco :( I know it saids chicken jerky but I wonder if the duck stuff is affected also.

i wouldn't buy any food product made in china. the govt. there has no enforced standards or respect for life, animal or human. they only do something about it when they get caught, then they execute some low level minion & the big shot that was in charge carries on as usual.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest BrianRke

I CRINGE every time I see that commercial for Milo's Kitchen dog treats!! It is so misleading. The all American mom sitting in her suburban kitchen with her retriever talking about these 100% Chicken jerky treats being so wonderful. :puke

Milo's kitchen is not some quaint farm kitchen with an old lady lovingly preparing chicken jerky. Its an enormous, filthy factory in China using unclean meat products!

The commercial would be more accurate if they showed the Retriever at the vet, convulsing and throwing up with violent diarrhea after eating one!

With all due respect and excuse my rant (and I don't mean this in a snotty way) ... but I simply read labels before I purchase any dog food or treats. Honestly, if it doesn't explicitly state "Made in the USA" or Canada, etc -- I put it back on the shelf. :sbox

With the obvious disregard China has for its environment and citizens, I don't think it should shock anyone that there is methyl-ethyl bad stuff in the pet food they manufacture.

Thanks for the heads up. It is really hard to know what to buy these days, I have been trying to buy all my treats locally. Actually, the lady who I get a lot of my treats and food from recently wrote an article breaking down the price for making dehydrated treats. Considering it takes 4 lbs of fresh chicken to make 1 lb of dehydrated chicken, plus adding in all the processing, packaging, retail and shipping fees, the price is just waaaaaaay to low. I don't know what sorts of meat scraps and more importantly contaminants get in there but it will just be a matter of time before another big recall.

It has been my practice for about 3 years now, ever since the first "China scare" came out, to NEVER buy anything made in China. Made in USA or Canada treats are all I buy. Just because they sell it at Costco doesn't make it safe - they have never stopped selling those made is China treats.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

The companies are getting smarter - you have to watch and make sure both the ingredients and the assembly are "USA".

For example, you can take chicken from China and do some final processing steps in the USA and label it "Made in USA".

edited to add .... the "good comapanies" are getting smarter too - some of them are labeling more details like "made in the USA from beef raised and slaughtered in the USA".

Edited by MaryJane

BrianRke - I SO appreciate the photo postings. Thank you! I totally get it. It reminds me of PETA undercover and/or factory-farming video. VERY tough and disturbing to watch but if only the majority of people would watch ... perhaps poor animals wouldn't suffer so much AND our food supply would be more sanitary. Thanks again. (I was going to say "well done" but somehow that doesn't seem appropriate! Sounds like a burger order.).

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest snakes

As others have pointed out, remember there are a lot of companies trying to confuse people with big "USA company" printed on the front of the packaging, but flip it over and it is "Made in China".

• 2 weeks later...

As others have pointed out, remember there are a lot of companies trying to confuse people with big "USA company" printed on the front of the packaging, but flip it over and it is "Made in China".

Yep...I'm seeing this more and more, too....and the "Made in China" is usually really small.

WOW - we've bought our dogs the Milo's Kitchen chicken meatballs at BJs. They love them. They even say "Made in the USA" and "No Artificial Flavors or Colors" right on the bag. Do you know if these are any different than the chicken strips (which we've never bought)? I even bought a bag of Milo's Kitchen chicken meatballs for one of our GT Secret Santas because I know how fussy folks are on GT about what country their treats come from. :blush

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Yep...I'm seeing this more and more, too....and the "Made in China" is usually really small.

I know! My eyes aren't as good as they used to be and I have to take my glasses off to read the small print. I really try to read everything on the package, but one got by me. I actually bought some chicken jerky because there was a lot of USA print, and only after I had given the dogs a few did I see that at the bottom of the package, in small print, it said Made In China. I forget what the brand was, because I threw them out. I'm really upset about this. I didn't want the dogs to have anything made in China, and I stupidly gave them some.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest lfreem2

I happened to buy a bag of Milo's Kitchen Chicken Meatballs a few days ago just for Obedience Training class purposes, and today I checked the bag due to this thread. It very clearly says MADE IN THE USA on back and no reference to China. I'm assuming they have recently changed where it is now made? I'm wondering if it's just the jerky that's made in China or if they've changed their location.

Guest BrianRke

Three varieties of Milo’s Kitchen™ dog treats are made in the United States which includes Beef Jerky, Chicken Meatballs and Beef Sausage Slices, while the Chicken Jerky variety is made at a facility in China.

Just want to point out that it's not just treats you need to be careful with. So many of us are very careful to read the ingredient list on our hounds food bag-- just because the ingredients appeal to you the question you need to ask yourself where are the ingredients sourced from??? You even should be asking where the vitamin and mineral supplements are sourced from-- think you will be shocked.

Guest BrianRke

Just want to point out that it's not just treats you need to be careful with. So many of us are very careful to read the ingredient list on our hounds food bag-- just because the ingredients appeal to you the question you need to ask yourself where are the ingredients sourced from??? You even should be asking where the vitamin and mineral supplements are sourced from-- think you will be shocked.

I have written almost every dog food company and asked where they source their ingredients. Every single one of them sourced Taurine and Folic Acid from China.

I have written almost every dog food company and asked where they source their ingredients. Every single one of them sourced Taurine and Folic Acid from China.

Well, that's an easy fix. Healthy dogs don't need suppliments of either taurine (cats do) or folic acid. Just buy a food that doesn't contain either.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg