Cerenia Shot....wow!

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

DH called to let me know Kai had thrown up three times today while I was at work. Was still drinking water and keeping that down. When I got home, I took him out in the backyard to see what his poop looked like. OMG! Nothing but blood poured out of him. Rushed to the vet, no fever, nothing in cytology showed a cause and bloodwork done. Vet said in the mean time she would give him a shot of Cerenia to stop the vomiting. Holy Batman! I have never heard or seen Kai scream or try to bite anyone but he sure was trying. The vet felt awful (she almost cried truth be told) and said that Cerenia really burns due to it's PH and since greys do not have any fat to inject it in, it really hurts them. So, note to self....no more Cerenia shots. I did look it up when I got home and it does come in tablets so next time we will go with tablets and not the shot. Just thought I'd share and hopefully save another greyohund from going through this.

Keeping the Cerenia in the fridge does seem to alleviate the sting... I had to give an injection of Cerenia this morning to Symbra (nausea due to chemo), and while she wasn't happy about it, she didn't react as badly as I was expecting.

But yeah, according to Plumb's, giving the injection versus giving the oral medication only "saves" you about an hour in terms of how quickly it is effective. Knowing that now, and factoring in the cost of the injection versus the pills, we're going to opt to go pill-only for Symbra's next chemo treatment.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Absolutely. Sunny had to have one recently. The vet said that it might cause a "little bit of discomfort" but that was the understatement of the year! Screaming, trying to bite, huge amount of stress. Never again!!!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Oh gosh... I'm so sorry to hear about the trauma your poor Kai had to suffer, but thanks for letting us know. :(

Jeffie was put on Cerenia by mouth recently because this dog will vomit at the drop of a hat at the best of times and they wanted him to have an osteomyelitis dose of Antirobe - which is known for its GI side effects.

With the oral form you need to give it with a 'small meal' to prevent them vomiting but it worked like a dream for him. He's been on the Antirobe (clindamycin) at a very high dose for nearly three weeks with no problem. He finishes Thursday - Yay!

Theory is that if you give Cerenia for this reason, you only need to give it for three to five days at the beginning of the course of antibiotics and then you can stop. Sure enough, seems to work that way!

We found that a cheese sandwich did the job nicely as the 'small meal'. ;)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Jack had the same reaction to cerenia....it was horrible!! I felt just awful for him. :(

The weird thing is that in December, my cat had an injection of cerenia--I was expecting another BIG reaction from her, based on Jack's reaction--and she never flinched. :unsure

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest K9Cookies

Used to happen to Bonnie when we did Cerenia after her chemo treatments. We did it a few times, but the last time was super traumatic for all of us. She screamed, peed on the floor...the whole works. Wasn't worth it, but it was a miracle drug for a while. :( It really does work.

Add Spirit to this list of Screaming pups when on the receiving end of this shot! :eek

I've never herd or seen her be so mad at the vet tech before! :blush

pill form from now on! ;)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest freightsmom

Jack had the same reaction to cerenia....it was horrible!! I felt just awful for him. :(

The weird thing is that in December, my cat had an injection of cerenia--I was expecting another BIG reaction from her, based on Jack's reaction--and she never flinched. :unsure

Yep, the vet mentioned that the kitties rarely react to the shot....lucky them :huh

I'm sorry to hear you all had to go through that.

Heidi had the shot in Decmeber when she was vomiting. The vet warned me that she might scream as it would hurt. She never made a sound and didn't seem any more stressed than she normally is at the vet. I think they do keep it in the fridge though.

It did work great. I don't know if the pill would work if they can't keep anything down.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Tis true-- cats don't blink an eye when they are on the receiving end of the injection.

I've used the pills/tabs quite successfully in Ryder. The vet said that they are quite familiar with giving cerenia to greyhounds, and told us the pill format is the best method. Poor pup. 1 pill for him though made him a complete zombie, had to cut the dosage and then he was ok visually and ok in his tummy too.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've used the pills/tabs quite successfully in Ryder. ..... 1 pill for him though made him a complete zombie, had to cut the dosage and then he was ok visually and ok in his tummy too.

That's very strange. Jeff had no side effects at all. He had the pill once a day, kept all of them down perfectly well and was his normal self.

When he'd finished the Cerenia allowance, his appetite dropped badly, but he hasn't vomited and he's still on the Antirobe.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Yes. Even the vet thought that was a bit strange but every dog, just like people, react differently. He was soooooo relaxed the first night on pills I was worried he'd stop breathing. I remember checking on him in the middle of the night because he did not stir once. Cut it back to half and all was good. We used it to treat his vomiting in the middle of the night over a year ago and only had one instance since.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Before deciding to refuse Cerenia injections, see if your vet knows that it stings less if kept in the fridge and given cold, as others have mentioned. It's really a very effective medication, and if your dog is vomiting, the oral form may not be a good option. Here's a link to the abstract of a study that looked at this issue. And a PDF of the full article.

Also, an article in a veterinary magazine written by a respected gastroenterologist that includes a section which states: "The issue of stinging on injection: Information from clinical experience and studies over the last year indicates that there is less likelihood for stinging to occur with maropitant injections when the product is kept refrigerated. The current guidance is that the solution should be kept refrigerated and drawn up and injected right away at refrigerated temp."

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg