How's This For A Bruise?

So, we have no idea how this happened but it was discovered Saturday night, exactly 3 days after having 16 teeth removed.

I would think if Bumper experienced trauma during the early days of recovery that the bruise would have shown up earlier than 3 days post op. He was under for 4.5 hours

He's also now back on Amicar to help control any further bleeding. Vet is at a bit of a loss, but suspects a slip on Saturday in the deeper snow (which has a couple layers of freezing rain which is not exactly 'soft), potentially when he was pooping.

I marked the outline of the bruise to determine its stability and it is unchanged since first appearance. He seems to not even notice (no limping, swelling, it's not hot to the touch). It just looks awful - it covers the back left inner thigh as well as the left side of his man parts. I suspect that, given he is lying down all the time recovering, the bruise is spreading laterally (across groin as well) versus draining into a leg. What you see below is about 1/2 the bruise with the rest going across the groin / underbelly / man parts.

In all truthfulness, we're at a loss as to the source but will take him in if anything changes or he becomes obviously distressed by it. So far, it's fine, but just 'ugly'. He has had minor bruising before but nothing like this.

Anyone have any ideas?

ce25185f.jpg

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Mimi got bruises like that several times. We were never able to figure what had caused them. The first time we freaked out and took her to the vet. He said it might get darker but not to be too concerned unless it was spreading. Hers were always on her belly. They did usually go away pretty fast. Within a couple of days they'd always faded considerably.

She made it to 15 yrs old, so whatever it was didn't appear to shorten her lifespan any.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Ouch! That looks ugly indeed. Poor Bumper. I hope it starts to fade soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm just curious, did you keep Bumper on the Amicar for the full 5 days?

That bruising on Bumper is pretty severe and it reminds me how my angel Onyx's chest looked like after his leg amputation. His amputation was almost 10 years ago and back then, no knowledge of amicar. I would not expect something this severe from a slip in the snow but, I guess anything is possible.

I suspect (but cannot offer any proof) that some of this has to do with a greyhound's funny platelets and the subsequent weird bleeding that can occur.

Another thought is if the amicar was stopped before this showed up then, the amicar may have been holding clots together which now dissolve because of no more amicar and you could have subsequent bleeding from injuries that occurred as early as a few days ago (time of surgery). In effect, you could have had some injuries during surgery but no bruising because the amicar was helping with the clotting and then once you take away the amicar, those clots start dissolving and you have blood seepage. Sort of far out theory but, possible.

No advice, just that "Bumper" should stop bumping into things and living up to his name, if that's what caused it. Geez, maybe he injures himself because he likes you sleeping on the floor with him...ok, I'm not helping at all here, am I? Here's hoping it's nothing serious and goes away quickly.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks for some interesting perspectives.

Diane - I thought it might be from moving him around at the vet as well, but the timing seems off as it showed up 3 days later. Maybe that's normal, I don't know.

Mary Jane - the Amicar was stopped / not given Saturday (per vet's instructions as there was no bleeding, not even from mouth). Your hypothesis is interesting and plausible, for sure. Thank you.

Black and Tan...that's possible also....did it hurt Gary? Bumper is doing fine and is able to get up/down without anymore struggle than usual.

And Jan, well, um, yes....his breeder / owner named him Bumper for a reason...there is no doubt in our minds!!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest BlackandTan

Every now and then he would get up slow and the occasional limp if he ran hard. Its impossible to get him not to run. For the most part he acted normal.

It did go all the way up to about where the scrotum attaches b ut that cant really be seen in the picture.

Edited by BlackandTan

When I fractured the front of my pelvis at my groin, it took several days for the bruising to appear on my thigh.

The brusing was just as bright and colourful as Bumpers and it didn't hurt at all....just looked awful.

I was told that very deep bruising often takes a few days to rise to the surface.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg