Early Riser. My First Grey.

Guest serenc

Hi all!

This is my first post on this lovely and very helpful site.

I am just blown away by all that people do for this amazing breed.

A few months ago I brought a wonderful hound into my home due to the passing of his previous owner.

I was this pups dog-walker and had quickly grown attached to the quiet grey that was interested in only walks and his bed. I got a call one day, hearing the unfortunate news, that his elderly owner passed away suddenly. The lawyers were in a hurry to take care of things...the first order of business was to get rid of the dogs as soon as possible.

When I got that call I knew instantly that Hank was coming to stay with me. I had a gut feeling that my home was where he was destined to live out the rest of his life. The research began and I devoured all of the information I could on this breed.

I cannot express the joy he brings to my family. He went from a home that was quiet, lazy and well, boring. He went out for walks and not much else. He was the shy and quiet guy. Now that he is in my home...well lets just say that dog does not exist anymore. He is the most talkative, happy and lively guy. It's amazing what a positive change in environment does to better a creature. Hank and my dachshund Dexter are partners in crime, till the end.

Sooo...the moral of this story ( I could go on and on about him :D) is that he is an early riser...hard core. When we first got him home he was waking up at 3:30-4am. I just assumed he was in a new place and a wee bit nervous etc. so I accepted it and would take him outside. Well we eventually got him to sleep in until about 5:30 and slowly started to work our way even later, closer to 6...well nowwww....he is reverting back to being an early...early bird. He will get up and make noise, whine and bounce around. So I take him out, assuming he has to potty and wants his breakfast. 6am I can handle...but 4-5...really...? I will tell him to go lay down, he will, but then as soon as he hears me stir, roll over...anything..he is back up and making noise.

Is this common among greys? I first thought that maybe the caretakers in his previous home just let him out whenever he wanted to go out, no matter what time it was. Maybe that is just what he was used to...? Any tips would be helpful. Do I just accept that I am now up early everyday, or is there a way to get him to sleep in a bit longer?

Is this something that is common with greys?

Sorry for the novel!! Thanks for any tips. Tips of any kind.

This being my first greyhound, I'm loving all the information I'm finding out :D

All I can tell you is that our girl Chauncey gets into moods where she will wake us at 3 or 4 in the morning, this will go on for about a week and then she goes back to her regular pattern. My DH gets up at 4:30 for work and Chauncey and Darby go out at 5:30. Greys just like any other breed can be trained to follow a schedule. As I said my pups are used to going out at 5:30 in the morning but come the weekends they have no problems waiting until 7.

I can't really help but I've heard that kennel turnouts can be really early, like 4am. But I'm not at all sure of my fact there. What I was actually wondering was... did the elderly person get up really early all the time, as many elderly people do? If so, then Hank may be totally used to early starts both in the kennel and in the home environment.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest verthib

There are other threads about this. It will take MUCH persistence. You need to basically ignore him. Don't reward that behavior by taking him out and feeding him. Don't talk to him. Just consistently get up at 6 am. It is HARD to ignore them, I had to do it with Angus but you can do it!! I am so happy he found his way into your home. He's a lucky hound!

The elderly person he lived with had people who were like care-givers/care takers and I am wondering if maybe they just let the dogs out whenever the dogs wanted. His previous owner got him right from the track in Florida and had him for just barely a year. Its been about 3 months since I've had him and we have gotten him from 3-4 am to about 5:30-6am. Sooo maybe some more time and me not giving in!

Welcome to GT! Hope you'll post some pics of Hank when you get a chance.

My girl isn't an early riser so I can't help there, but often greys get restless when they're chilly -- and I notice my house feels coldest in the early morning. So you might see what happens if you put a blankie over him -- or, like many of us nutjobs do, get him some pajamas. Actually you can even try a loose-fitting t-shirt to see if that helps before you invest. :)

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I'm still figuring out how to post pics. I will get there!

Yeah before I got to sleep I cover him up but I'll have to try covering him in the a.m ( if he doesnt think me getting up means he gets up too! ha!) Those jammies crack me up. He would be a riot in them!

The jammies are a great suggestion! Summer sleeps in them every night and I didn't even THINK of mentioning them. Without them, she's restless and neither of us sleep very well. I wonder if that's part of the problem?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Most hounds are early risers. It's what has been their routine for, more then likely, years.

As OwnedbySummer stated, turn outs at the tracks and feedings tend to be pretty early. Like anywhere from 3am turnouts to 5am turnouts. Feedings normally shortly there after.

It is something that is workable but will take time. Just try to push back his outside time by a few minutes every few days and hopefully it will eventually become a time that you both are comfortable with.

Also most racers are turned out then rest in their crates for an hour or more before feeding time. So you might be able to get away with a quick outside then back in, rest some more if you can, then feeding.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Greyhounds.

Before you assume he "wants" to get up early, please have him checked/treated for a UTI. I thought my Joe was just a pain in the neck -- turned out he had a painful infection. It didn't obviously show up on tests, but one round of antibiotics helped and a second round fixed him completely.

Of course, you could just be "lucky" and have a natural alarm clock! :blink:

First of all... :welcome

Second, you asked if early-rising is common with Greys. I dunno... My two are like the laziest-ever teenage boys in the mornings! They are always the last ones to get up. After we get up (6-ish), have breakfast and read the paper, the big sleepyheads reluctantly emerge from the bedroom. This is only after 30 minutes of calling for them to get up. They just LOVE sleeping in. :dunno

Hank is a good-looking hound! :wub:

Edited by Greydawg

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

What a handsome hound!

Yes...he could be cold....try some jammies - or as someone else said just a t-shirt tied up in back so it doesn't drag on the ground.

My hounds all wear little fleece coats, as did our Dobies.

If this does not work...just be patient and do not give in.

As hard as it is...ignore the behaviour. Do not speak or even acknowledge him.

During the day you could work on the 'Go lie down' command.

My guys all know this phrase and if they stir too early in the morning, I now just have to tell them 'go lie down'.

Do keep in mind that everything about your home and routine are new to him. It will take him another couple of months to really settle in.

And....Thanks for taking him in! :P

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

No advice for you, but I wanted to welcome you to GT and comment on how handsome your boy is! Thank you for taking him in after his previous owner passed!

One thing I will say is that when I first got Luna, she was up between 3 and 4 every night. This lasted for a couple of months, and then it slowly started to get later and later. Now I can barely drag her out before 8:30! Hopefully he'll get used to his new schedule and start sleeping in a little later.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest BlackandTan

Our first boy Gary used to have to be just about woken up lol, Diago does the same thing as your boy... I have tried a lot and have had no luck, we brought the crate back in to see if that makes him feel a little more secure... I HOPE IT WORKS and good luck to you!

when i first got mine it was ridiculous: up and out for a walk at 4:30, 4 -- even 3:30. this went on for about two weeks, and i started slowly pushing the boundaries back. i would ignore him a bit, and only take him out when i could tell that he REALLY had to go out. now he will get up basically when i get up, and really wont get crazy until as late as 9:30 on weekends. one thing that helps is that i put a small space heater outside of his crate since it gets down to about 61 at night in my apartment. with that warmth he basically sprawls out and wont leave the crate until i get up and force him to.

Actually I've never really had a lot of early risers maybe because a ton of fosters were beauty school dropouts or the others were older dogs (4-6). Have never had a lot of trouble teaching them to sleep in until noon when I get up. :blush I pretty much roll over and ignore them unless there is an urgency in their speech and body language.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Hi and welcome! What a good looking boy you have there. Mine started out being early risers but as they settled in it got later and later, I do have a doggie door though so I can ignore them without fear of a puddle. :lol

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest jbbuzby

I went through this with fosters and visiting hounds. Ultimately, after you rule out anything medical, what worked for me was the squirt bottle. It sounds harsh, but after a few days of "okay, I'm SURE you don't need to potty and can hold it and trust you won't pee on the floor," (and even then, the whiner or pacer was told to "down" first before we went anywhere to not reward the pacing/whining behavior), I would tell them to SHHH!!! And then if it persisted, a squirt of water to the face. This solved the problem after a few days with even my most persistent foster, the one who readily had to be reminded he didn't run the show. He was still instantly ready for action the second anyone sat up, but he learned that nothing good happened UNTIL then. I also would praise them all extensively every time they laid down or went back to their beds, and wouldn't open the door until they all were on them, no matter the time.

Now, I am a happy camper living with two hounds that let me sleep in as late as I want, and they are happy to do so!

As for fear of making them silent in the case of emergency, I've found that the surprising, but very mild squirt of water is not enough to deter a pup who REALLY needs to potty.

I will try the squirt bottle next! I KNOW he can hold it. He will go all day without the desire to go outside.

Im thinking he just wants to eat, because after he eats he will come lay back down and stay put until next time I drag him out to potty.

I have used the water bottle idea with my little doxie, so I'm not afraid to do it. I think with Hanks personality, the water squirt might be just the trick...THANKS!

Pajamas or even a light jacket / housecoat will definitely help. We find that Rocket is much less restless in cold weather if he is wearing pajamas. Even with the pajamas, he likes a blanket on him at night as well, and our house is not cold. On nights when he doesn't have the pajamas or a coat on, he gets up and paces around restlessly starting between 3 and 4 am. With pajamas, he doesn't get up until we do.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life